Got Scammed, Taxi Out Of The Airport

etherael

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this is a repeat, didn't read them all, but universal rule of thumb here - if anyone approaches you for anything at all, just completely ignore them, even at the risk of seeming rude, thousand-yard stare, mouth shut and just keep walking - pretend like you only understand whatever language they can't speak.

If you want transportation, directions, any questions answered at all, you should ask someone identifiable in a shop, ideally one with no interest in tourist-related businesses, never anyone just hanging around in the street around tourist areas.

The better they are dressed and the better their English, the more suspicious. Exception might be the concierge at your upmarket hotel, but then you're just getting ripped up a bit more systemically, not dishonestly.

Just to clarify on this point, I did actually do a little research before I came here and much was made of the concept of harmonious relationships and that "face" is a big deal here, one of the reasons I didn't just yank my luggage back from this guy immediately is basically this. This action you're describing definitely seems to fly in the face of that whole "be very polite and non confrontational" thing. Or does that only apply when it's *you* who is initiating the contact?

lmao, nice research but you are applying in a total wrong situation. i think you are going to get ripped off big time if you continue this

Obviously, which is why I wanted to clarify in what situation that advice is actually valid, and why I was speculating maybe it's only when you approach someone else?

The OP needs to either stop waffling in here and get his ass out to the airport tourist police pronto , and find the cam footage --- or else forget it.

Chances seem to be extremely slim they can actually do anything about it, at this stage I'm inclined to just write it off and accept it as a painful lesson learned, would you really advise otherwise?

If it was me and the hardware was really worth USD $1000+, I'm up for at least twelve hours of making a pest of myself.

You'd be surprised, when the BNB want to, they can sometimes get some pretty amazing results, much more so than back home.

Problem is most of the time they can't be bothered. Maybe offer a B1000 reward (or more, up to you?)

If it was me and the hardware was really worth USD $1000+, I'm up for at least twelve hours of making a pest of myself.

You'd be surprised, when the BNB want to, they can sometimes get some pretty amazing results, much more so than back home.

Problem is most of the time they can't be bothered. Maybe offer a B1000 reward (or more, up to you?)

Done, I can throw a reward at it for sure if you think that'll help, I know I was less than the distance to where the lineup of cab drivers were when the guy grabbed my luggage and I have the ID of the second driver so here goes.

Thanks for the advice all, off to the airport now.

All is not lost..

The airport views this tout scam very seriously, I would return and speak to the tourist police station there first.

There are camera's all over the airport, they will probably have you and the driver and the cars number plate on camera.

It's worth a try!

That's an interesting approach, incidentally by the time I was transferred I realised this must be a scam, so I took the step of photographing the second driver's protection thing in the bottom left of the front windshield, perhaps this then could be used for him to lead them to the original perps? or might he just be an unwitting tool of the op?

What did you take a photo of? "protection thing" and if in the second car what did you take the photo with? i assume a phone? this is when i would of noted that i had left my camera in the first car,strange one really but if you have a photo of something ...i would get back to where they scammed you and see what you can do and the place where they exchanged cars!!

Guessing its the ID of the driver that is supposed to be in all taxis. If it is try to call the taxi call center at 1684 or 1584. Give what ever information you have, should be able to track him down that way, also if you remember the color of the taxi it should help.

You never know maybe you will get lucky and get your camera back.

The OP needs to either stop waffling in here and get his ass out to the airport tourist police pronto , and find the cam footage --- or else forget it.

Chances seem to be extremely slim they can actually do anything about it, at this stage I'm inclined to just write it off and accept it as a painful lesson learned, would you really advise otherwise?

You say it is first time in Thailand? How do you know what the chances are? Get your ass to the airport and spend a day making your unhappiness known to every tourist policeman and taxi driver you can find. If not for your own sake, but at least give them a chance to catch the sob and stop the badness spreading.... ;)

• Like 1

Go back to the airport and file a police report. Contact the nation and all the other big newspapers. Ask a thai or farang fluent in Thai to start a topic on Pantip, it will be over 10,000 responses by lunch time.

you will be amazed in Thailand how quickly a suspect can be apprehended by the police and how your missing items can suddenly appear. The police have very strong knowledge of the crooks. whistling.gif

etherael,

This is the land of corruption. it is very likely that someone in that airport already knows about this guy. this is not your home country where the cops cant do anything about the crime. in Thailand, the cops are usually the criminals, or at least get a kickback from the criminals. so when you complain, you stand a good chance of getting your stuff back.

Think you must get your head together. Some ''here'' can read you like a book. sad.png

Yeah, after first day here I have a new rule of thumb; if they're doing the hard sell on anything, it's almost definitely a scam.

You learn fast.

My advice if you want to see your camera again is to go back to the airport and report to the tourist police, but have a look from the 2nd floor first to see if you can see the tout working, if so then the police may come with you and question him as to who the driver was, point out how you were off a long flight and he basically jumped you, my guess is touts get moved on regularly so acting quickly is important.

Presume you are in Bangkok so probably getting the train out to the airport would be cheaper.

Edited by Basil B

Im still chewing on the fact that a person just grabbed the luggage.

OP thought it was a porter and willingly followed the person without asking what was going on.

shock1.gif

Then into a car, which was not even a taxi cab.

OP willingly got into the car without asking what car is this (where is the meter?).

shock1.gif

I would not be surprised if OP next is saying: they asked me to drink this strange stuff, and I willingly did, because I though it was some sort of fruit juice.

Amish?

First time traveling?

I am sorry for your loss Sir, but It is an amazing story, and an expensive lessons learned.

• Like 2

I routinely use the airport touts. I am taken by taxi to another point and transferred to a private car. If the private car doesn't suit me I ask for another car. They always have a number of private cars waiting for a passenger. The private cars have always been nice enough to suit me and the drivers have always been good. I should add that this is from the airport to Jomtien. I pay 1,200 baht to Jomtien and they pay the tolls. Just make sure that the price is negotiated before you leave the airport. Of course they will quote an inflated price and you just start to walk away. They will always come after you. You then tell them how much you are willing to pay.

If I am going to Bangkok, I wait at the taxi stand and take a metered taxi. I do pay the tolls and the cost is always less than 300 baht including the tolls. It's not worth going to a pickup point to save 50 baht. I once left a camera in a taxi and considered it gone. It was gone. Fortunately it wasn't an expensive camera.

• Like 1

I routinely use the airport touts. I am taken by taxi to another point and transferred to a private car. If the private car doesn't suit me I ask for another car. They always have a number of private cars waiting for a passenger. The private cars have always been nice enough to suit me and the drivers have always been good. I should add that this is from the airport to Jomtien. I pay 1,200 baht to Jomtien and they pay the tolls. Just make sure that the price is negotiated before you leave the airport. Of course they will quote an inflated price and you just start to walk away. They will always come after you. You then tell them how much you are willing to pay.

If I am going to Bangkok, I wait at the taxi stand and take a metered taxi. I do pay the tolls and the cost is always less than 300 baht including the tolls. It's not worth going to a pickup point to save 50 baht. I once left a camera in a taxi and considered it gone. It was gone. Fortunately it wasn't an expensive camera.

With all due respect -- you are part of the problem.......

• Like 1

The OP has had a nice introduction to Thailand but if this is all he ever loses in Thailand he will come out way ahead of most people.

Ignore all strangers touts and people who approach you anywhere unsolicited. And never accept the first price.

BTW What is the taxi fare from Suvi to downtown Bangkok anyway? I dont think you lost more than a few hundred baht anyway.

The OP has had a nice introduction to Thailand but if this is all he ever loses in Thailand he will come out way ahead of most people.

Ignore all strangers touts and people who approach you anywhere unsolicited. And never accept the first price.

BTW What is the taxi fare from Suvi to downtown Bangkok anyway? I dont think you lost more than a few hundred baht anyway.

about 250 and he pays the tolls

Never Never Ever agree to let the taxi driver pay the tolls! Always say you will pay the tolls.

I got caught by that once when I was a newbie.. Wondering why it took 5 hours to get from downtown Bangkok to Pattaya when my mate that was waiting for me said it would take 2 hours.

It was simple.. we used no toll roads!

Never Never Ever agree to let the taxi driver pay the tolls! Always say you will pay the tolls.

I got caught by that once when I was a newbie.. Wondering why it took 5 hours to get from downtown Bangkok to Pattaya when my mate that was waiting for me said it would take 2 hours.

Never pay tolls, never tell driver that before you start. Just jump into meter cab and say where you want to go. Some never bother to ask for tolls, if they do, just smile and say no and point to the meter. Please note -- the smile is MOST important....

Never pay tolls, never tell driver that before you start. Just jump into meter cab and say where you want to go. Some never bother to ask for tolls, if they do, just smile and say no and point to the meter. Please note -- the smile is MOST important....

Hold on let me get this straight. So you get in a taxi, you want him to use the meter, want to take the expressway but your not going to pay the tolls ?

" Please note -- the smile is MOST important.."

Oh for sure it is.....as he drops you off at the tollbooth smile.png

It works for me every time and they don't complain -- much ;)

I do tip him in the end - as always - but there is no need to behave like a Rockefeller ;)

Update from the airport tourist police, offered 3k baht reward, two fine police walked through the entire event, consulted with someone at the pick up site, took me to look through mug shots, cross referenced my call to the hotel with surveillance footage 20 minutes prior, wham tout caught on camera, car trying to hide just out of camera range but barely visible at edge then drive closer by during departure, driver and tout mug shots Id'd, in waiting room for estimated half hour for (indeterminate?) outcome.

Amazing response compared to 1155 where they told me to lodge a complaint with local police. I wonder why?

Edited by etherael
  • Like 1

Update from the airport tourist police, offered 3k baht reward, two fine police walked through the entire event, consulted with someone at the pick up site, took me to look through mug shots, cross referenced my call to the hotel with surveillance footage 20 minutes prior, wham tout caught on camera, car trying to hide just out of camera range but barely visible at edge then drive closer by during departure, driver and tout mug shots Id'd, in waiting room for estimated half hour for (indeterminate?) outcome.

Amazing response compared to 1155 where they told me to lodge a complaint with local police. I wonder why?

RESULT !!!!! biggrin.png

Hope the camera turn up ok. Don't forget that the reward is for the return of the camera -- not for catching the tout ;) SOooooo -- don't be in any hurry to pay until you have checked your camera over...

Edited by jpinx

Oh and for the record and the Darwin award crowd according to video evidence I **did** grab my luggage back,I just made the mistake of following him anyway. In the words of Yoda, when for sixteen hours in transit followed by your first stop in a very foreign nation you have been, be as sharp, you will not.

Edited by etherael

so they had the two guys sitting there already?

so they had the two guys sitting there already?

I had a detailed description and we had the surveillance footage, put them together and the fact the police had these guys mugshots (even photos of the driver standing next to the car smiling with the tout on the other side!) And that's all she wrote.

Edited by etherael

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience on your first time to Thailand. :( But as you said, lesson learned.

As for the camera, it's highly unlikely you will get it back but not 100% definite no. Your only option is to trace the taxi and the driver, there might be one little shred of faith left in humanity if he's the kind who would hand it back so good luck!

I hope you had insurance!

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience on your first time to Thailand. sad.png But as you said, lesson learned.

As for the camera, it's highly unlikely you will get it back but not 100% definite no. Your only option is to trace the taxi and the driver, there might be one little shred of faith left in humanity if he's the kind who would hand it back so good luck!

I hope you had insurance!

if he was charged 1000bht for a 100 bht trip he will not get the camera back.