Got Scammed, Taxi Out Of The Airport

etherael

Aggressive guy grabbed luggage out of airport and got me into a car which transferred me to a real cab about 1k out, first time in Thailand so didn't know what the story was with cabs, after first day I now get the idea that a fare to where I'm staying is about 100 baht, not the 1k baht the guy charged me.

Anyway, lesson learned and I don't much want to change anything about that, but I kind of freaked out when they started moving my checked luggage from the first car I got into to the second car they were transferring me into, jumped out to see what was going on which was then explained, but completely forgot the Nikon D3200 + camera bagI left on the seat of the first car I was in... I'm guessing this is a write off, but I don't want to blow a thousand dollars worth of photography equipment without consulting with more experienced people. So any ideas?

I would assume the obvious thing for them to do as scammers is try to pawn the camera, perhaps I could use that to get it back? where would they likely try to sell it?

Any help appreciated.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1000 thb for a taxi ride from the airport??

And on top of that, you forgot your camera.

Really sorry to hear.

Yes, some taxi guys can be really bad.

Not aware of any pawnshops, I think it would be quite difficult to find the camera again.

All is not lost..

The airport views this tout scam very seriously, I would return and speak to the tourist police station there first.

There are camera's all over the airport, they will probably have you and the driver and the cars number plate on camera.

It's worth a try!

That's an interesting approach, incidentally by the time I was transferred I realised this must be a scam, so I took the step of photographing the second driver's protection thing in the bottom left of the front windshield, perhaps this then could be used for him to lead them to the original perps? or might he just be an unwitting tool of the op?

Usually, when they transfer you from one car to another, that is for a long haul drive, certainly not for a 100 baht trip! (at least that is the way it used to be a few years ago)

The thing with the airports, both of them, is that they have taxi services where you queue up for them. Seems that you didn't use this service, and as such saved yourself 50 baht (service charge to make sure you're not ripped off!)

As this is your 1st trip to Thailand, sorry to hear about your misfortune, including the loss of your camera gear.

Did you not do any research before you flew? you let an aggressive guy grab your luggage, why?

Is this the first time you have traveled?

Where you drinking on the plane?

Where are you from?

Where were you going? B100 don't even get you to Bangkok

a) I assumed he was a porter. And yes, I am now paranoid about any approaches from touts, lesson learned. Still, if possible, I'd like to not lose 1k worth of photographic equipment over it, if that's not possible, so be it, I don't think it's unreasonable to try. But hey since you're in the mood for sounding off on all things utterly unhelpful, be my guest.

B) To Thailand, Yes, first time I've had that particular scam pulled anywhere but I have previously only travelled to anglosphere countries with the exception of india and estonia.

c) No

d) Most recently NZ, originally Australia.

e) that was the fare forward and backward from pantip plaza to current location which is roughly the same amount of time as it took to get from airport to same location, Satupradit 20.

something dont add up here.many time people call scam can have explanation.Like why they change the car? can see no reason for this if only want to scam you?

Maybe the taxi both live/go in different direction so they arrange with each other a swap?

Also how long was the taxi trip?

If you in traffic jam for a long time this could easy be 1000 baht and if you were going a long way in rain and heavy traffic.

but to say is a scam because of the loss of the camera is not so, as this OP admit he forget and left the camera behind.not really taxi fault as he cannot to contact you even if he is honest

i loose expensive mobile phone liike this in taxi but i know is my fault so can only cry to myself

many more scam you dont hear about when farang who like to drink and then leave other people to pay billthumbsup.gif

All is not lost..

The airport views this tout scam very seriously, I would return and speak to the tourist police station there first.

There are camera's all over the airport, they will probably have you and the driver and the cars number plate on camera.

It's worth a try!

That's an interesting approach, incidentally by the time I was transferred I realised this must be a scam, so I took the step of photographing the second driver's protection thing in the bottom left of the front windshield, perhaps this then could be used for him to lead them to the original perps? or might he just be an unwitting tool of the op?

What did you take a photo of? "protection thing" and if in the second car what did you take the photo with? i assume a phone? this is when i would of noted that i had left my camera in the first car,strange one really but if you have a photo of something ...i would get back to where they scammed you and see what you can do and the place where they exchanged cars!!

Edited by MrRed

something dont add up here.many time people call scam can have explanation.Like why they change the car? can see no reason for this if only want to scam you?

Maybe the taxi both live/go in different direction so they arrange with each other a swap?

If you in traffic jam for a long time this could easy be 1000 baht and if you were going a long way in rain and heavy traffic.

but to say is a scam because of the loss of the camera is not so, as this OP admit he forget and left the camera behind.not really taxi fault as he cannot to contact you even if he is honest

i loose expensive mobile phone liike this in taxi but i know is my fault so can only cry to myself

many more scam you dont hear about when farang who like to drink and then leave other people to pay billthumbsup.gif

I don't drink at all, I get this is an australian stereotype but it doesn't apply here.

If I had left the camera in the second car (which appeared to be a genuine taxi with an id card etc) I would simply be attempting to contact them, but since it was in the first car (which appears not to be a genuine taxi, based on the lack of aforementioned identity card) that becomes not an option.

Edited by etherael

All is not lost..

It's worth a try!

What did you take a photo of? "protection thing"

Yellow card mounted on the dash, bottom left hand corner of windshield, I can make out the name of the driver (and I checked to verify it was the actual guy driving) as well as his ID number, Mr Prasert Sajjamanmongkol, ID 224.

I've now called 1584 (number on the card) who referred me to tourist police 1155, who referred me to local station of regular police, who I am supposed to visit now. I guess that's the next step.

All is not lost..

It's worth a try!

What did you take a photo of? "protection thing" and if in the second car what did you take the photo with? i assume a phone? this is when i would of noted that i had left my camera in the first car,strange one really but if you have a photo of something ...i would get back to where they scammed you and see what you can do and the place where they exchanged cars!!

I used my camera phone to take the photo, I tried to ask the driver of the second car if he had any way of contacting the drivers of the first, but either his answer was no, or I was not able to adequately convey the question to him (used a translation app on the phone)

I'm not sure where that transfer was, first time in Thailand so I didn't notice anything familiar, I was also kind of freaked out that they were moving my checked luggage from the car I was in to another car (which was probably the reason I was not thinking about the camera bag on the seat next to me when I jumped out to see what was going on)

e) that was the fare forward and backward from pantip plaza to current location which is roughly the same amount of time as it took to get from airport to same location, Satupradit 20.

It's distance not time (supposedly) you will travel a lot further on the expressway than you will in central Bangkok in the same time.

One must be at least 5 times the distance of the other. But yes 1000 is too much. Always insist on the meter.

It's distance not time (supposedly) you will travel a lot further on the expressway than you will in central Bangkok in the same time.

One must be at least 5 times the distance of the other. But yes 1000 is too much. Always insist on the meter.

Yep, I'm cool with that, if it was just the fare scam in fact I'd just write the entire thing off and think nothing of it, it's just the camera that is pushing me to go the extra distance.

Sorry if this is a repeat, didn't read them all, but universal rule of thumb here - if anyone approaches you for anything at all, just completely ignore them, even at the risk of seeming rude, thousand-yard stare, mouth shut and just keep walking - pretend like you only understand whatever language they can't speak.

If you want transportation, directions, any questions answered at all, you should ask someone identifiable in a shop, ideally one with no interest in tourist-related businesses, never anyone just hanging around in the street around tourist areas.

The better they are dressed and the better their English, the more suspicious. Exception might be the concierge at your upmarket hotel, but then you're just getting ripped up a bit more systemically, not dishonestly.

Just to clarify on this point, I did actually do a little research before I came here and much was made of the concept of harmonious relationships and that "face" is a big deal here, one of the reasons I didn't just yank my luggage back from this guy immediately is basically this. This action you're describing definitely seems to fly in the face of that whole "be very polite and non confrontational" thing. Or does that only apply when it's *you* who is initiating the contact?

• Like 1

Don't bother with local police unless you want a police report for insurance purposes. Tourist police at airport is your only hope and not much of one to be honest.

Hope you manage to enjoy the rest of your trip, and not every-one will try to scam you, just be aware some will.

I would take a guess that they change cars so the car doing the ripping off isn't on camera or isn't licenced or hasn't paid to operate from the airport. What's in it for the original driver except a share of the 1000B I'm lost on. Why wouldn't he just take it all himself ? His unlicenced brother ?

Sorry if this is a repeat, didn't read them all, but universal rule of thumb here - if anyone approaches you for anything at all, just completely ignore them, even at the risk of seeming rude, thousand-yard stare, mouth shut and just keep walking - pretend like you only understand whatever language they can't speak.

If you want transportation, directions, any questions answered at all, you should ask someone identifiable in a shop, ideally one with no interest in tourist-related businesses, never anyone just hanging around in the street around tourist areas.

The better they are dressed and the better their English, the more suspicious. Exception might be the concierge at your upmarket hotel, but then you're just getting ripped up a bit more systemically, not dishonestly.

Just to clarify on this point, I did actually do a little research before I came here and much was made of the concept of harmonious relationships and that "face" is a big deal here, one of the reasons I didn't just yank my luggage back from this guy immediately is basically this. This action you're describing definitely seems to fly in the face of that whole "be very polite and non confrontational" thing. Or does that only apply when it's *you* who is initiating the contact?

lmao, nice research but you are applying in a total wrong situation. i think you are going to get ripped off big time if you continue this

Yep, I'm cool with that, if it was just the fare scam in fact I'd just write the entire thing off and think nothing of it, it's just the camera that is pushing me to go the extra distance.

As others have said the tourist police are your best hope. Hopefully he's on camera and decides he was just looking after it until the owner returned. You'll have to be quick.

You can get the airport link there a bit out your way though.

I would take a guess that they change cars so the car doing the ripping off isn't on camera or isn't licenced or hasn't paid to operate from the airport. What's in it for the original driver except a share of the 1000B I'm lost on. Why wouldn't he just take it all himself ? His unlicenced brother ?

I would assume the business model is this, scammy pickup driver grabs fares from airport, enormously inflates them from normal, then offloads the job to local driver (+ maybe a small percentage so they don't ask questions) and keeps the remainder. Offload happens pretty fast so original scammer can get back to the airport and repeat as soon as possible.

Just a guess but sounds plausible to me.

• Like 1