Bangkok Air Pollution

davo01

Hi People

Can anyone suggest a good website that gives daily pollution levels for Bangkok? I've had severe bronchitis twice in the last few months and I'm wondering if it’s from the air pollution or just the cold bugs which have been going round.

For the last few months the haze over the skyline has been pretty thick. The last 2 days have pretty much been white out in the mornings. I’m not sure if that’s a result from the seasons humidity or a mix of both. I’ve been living here approx 1 year and was surprised by the clear blue skies last October through to September.

I've read some articles claiming Bangkok has dramatically reduced pollution levels over the last decade and has become a role model for other Asian cities.. I find that hard to believe when siting behind a filthy old bus spuing black smoke..

Edited by metisdead
: Tiny font reset to forum default size.

These could be useful

post-123755-0-46811100-1351915493_thumb.

Only useful for their original purpose of preventing the wearer from spreading exhaled germs to another person, not much good for filtering what the person inhales but phsycologically useful though.

The Pollution Control Dept issues stats daily, their website is something like PCD.go.th, if incorrect simply google the name.

thanks for the link, todays reading is above average/slightly unhealthy.. acording to the govt.

Cheers

These could be useful

post-123755-0-46811100-1351915493_thumb.

Only useful for their original purpose of preventing the wearer from spreading exhaled germs to another person, not much good for filtering what the person inhales but phsycologically useful though.

I thought he meant the ladies. sad.png

Looking good, but I need no filter for my smoke. :rolleyes:

I've got several friends with respiratory conditions that can't visit Bangkok for more than a few days without it triggering pretty uncomfortable symptoms.

The farther you live out of town and from the main traffic arteries the better.

If you need to be within commuting distance of downtown I'd investigate prevailing wind patterns to try to get upwind as much as possible, unless if that means toward Samut Prakan where the industrial pollution is probably just as bad as BKK's from traffic.

My next question would be, Can you can buy a small filtration pump (about the size of a dehumidifier) which actually filters the bad crap. Just to circulate the air in a small condo about 40 sqm. A/C units only have a gause dust filter. Would be worth using while your asleep..

Edited by davo01

My next question would be, Can you can buy a small filtration pump (about the size of a dehumidifier) which actually filters the bad crap. Just to circulate the air in a small condo about 40 sqm. A/C units only have a gause dust filter. Would be worth using while your asleep..

Most of the large department stores, Robinsons, Central, Zen etc all stock air purifiers, get one with a HEPA filter that filters out the small particles, not cheap though. Do not buy an ionizer which causes as many problems as it solves. A better deal perhaps is to go to Home Pro and buy a sheet of HEPA filter paper that you can attach to the filter in your air con unit, it does exactly the same thing as an air purifier. We use them during the burining season in the North and they work well, cost is under 200 baht per sheet which certainly beats the 000's you'll spend on a purifier. If you go that route the product you need is made by 3M and called Filtrette, comes is a red package.

Edited by chiang mai

I remember years ago when I flew into Phuket from Oz on my way to BKK. I had been waiting and waiting for those wondrous blue skies we see so often in the travel pics. But it was just a brown dirty haze that the jumbo was flying above. I'm given to understand it is called the Brown Asian Smog and stretches from India to China. Pollution here in BKK is not so good. I had never suffered from asthma ever, but developed a cough which the doc suggested was a pollution induced asthma. I try and limit my motorcycle taxi rides in the city and get up country as often as I can.

That's not entirely true, there's lots of factors involved in the air pollution debate in Thailand, the time of the year and the location are the two biggest. Chiang Mai and the North suffers during burning season from March through April whilst the South can suffer from burining in Indonesia if the winds are in the right direction and strong enough. I lived in Phuket for four years and nearly always found the skies clear and free of pollution, my five years in Chiang Mai are only really marred by the burining season, the rest of the year is just fine.

I kinda like the smog, its the smell that reminds me im back in Bangkok....

op havnt you ever been to BKK before? If yes then didnt you have the same problem last time? If no then I dont think its the smog.