Plane Tickets Back Home

Hi folks,

Okay, I know this is not directly related to this forum but I think it's the best place to post.

1, I am planning on booking a single ticket to BKK and 2 for the return trip to the UK. This is so my fiancee can travel back with me, sat next to each other on the same flight. This being the case when she gets her visa.

Has anybody done this before? Can I book 2 seats on the return flight, even though my fiancee will be in LOS at the time I book with the travel agents here in the UK?

2, Also, I believe that she will have to get her ID card changed from Miss to Mrs after we get married. I am led to believe this has to be done in her hometown. Can this be done in BKK? Also how long does it take? Once we are married and have the visa we will only have a period of around 1 week before returning to UK, hence my apprehension!

Thanks

Rj

I believe I can answer your question 1.

Most airlines don't let you choose your seat when you purchase the ticket. There are some exceptions for a few routes but normally your seat is assigned when you check-in at the airport. (or during electronic check-in)

So when you check-in at BKK airport, simply request that you want to seat together with your fiance and then 99% times they will be able to assign you and your fiance's seats together unless you check-in really late. If you go to the airport 3 hours before the departure, you won't have much problem with seating together.

Hi folks,

2, Also, I believe that she will have to get her ID card changed from Miss to Mrs after we get married. I am led to believe this has to be done in her hometown. Can this be done in BKK? Also how long does it take? Once we are married and have the visa we will only have a period of around 1 week before returning to UK, hence my apprehension!

Thanks

Rj

ID card question:

Yes she can have it done in BKK......ONLY if she can bring along her blue book TabianBaan with her, not a copy, along with her married cert. in thai. Because the official has to also update her name in the tabieanBann by crossing off her Ms-status and change to Mrs.-status + the new last name

Making the new ID card, it's only take less than 30 min, but the waiting it could take much longer(anywhere from 10 min. to 1 hr).

Just make sure go to the ampur during the middle of the week - less busy, not Monday or Friday.

Edited by BKK90210

Hi folks,

Thanks

Rj

ID card question:

Yes she can have it done in BKK......ONLY if she can bring along her blue book TabianBaan with her, not a copy, along with her married cert. in thai. Because the official has to also update her name in the tabieanBann by crossing off her Ms-status and change to Mrs.-status + the new last name

Making the new ID card, it's only take less than 15 min, but the waiting it could take much longer(anywhere from 10 min. to 1 hr).

Just make sure go to the ampur during the middle of the week - less busy, not Monday or Friday.

Thanks for the responces.

What is the TabianBaan book? What is the name of the office where the ID card is changed? I think G/f will know this, but just so I know aswell :o

She is not going to change her last name, as it would mean a new passport, anything to cut out all this bureaucracy :D

Kop khun

Most airlines don't let you choose your seat when you purchase the ticket. There are some exceptions for a few routes but normally your seat is assigned when you check-in at the airport. (or during electronic check-in)

So when you check-in at BKK airport, simply request that you want to seat together with your fiance and then 99% times they will be able to assign you and your fiance's seats together unless you check-in really late. If you go to the airport 3 hours before the departure, you won't have much problem with seating together.

sorry, i dont agree with you. the fact is, you can book/request a seat immediately when you book a ticket to a travel agent if really want to. i'm always having a confirmed assigned seat number before i purchase the ticket. pm me for more details.

cheers...

sorry, i dont agree with you. the fact is, you can book/request a seat immediately when you book a ticket to a travel agent if really want to. i'm always having a confirmed assigned seat number before i purchase the ticket. pm me for more details.

cheers...

Just to clarify what I was originally asking, what I was trying to say was, can I book a ticket for my fiancee in the UK? So I go into Thompsons tomorrow, book a return ticket for myself and at the same time book a one way ticket from BKK to the UK for my fiancee, ie, my return flight. Just that if we wait until after she gets the visa to book her flight, I am afraid my flight would be full, thus meaning her flying back on her own, not what we want to do.

Hi folks,

Thanks

Rj

ID card question:

Making the new ID card, it's only take less than 15 min, but the waiting it could take much longer(anywhere from 10 min. to 1 hr).

What is the TabianBaan book? What is the name of the office where the ID card is changed? I think G/f will know this, but just so I know aswell :o

She is not going to change her last name, as it would mean a new passport, anything to cut out all this bureaucracy :D

Kop khun

TabianBaan = a thai house registration book in dark blue color, only thais with the same house number can be in this book. Farang name can not be in this book

She can make her ID card in any nearest district office, or the thais like to call it as "Ampur", ask your wife she will know this very well. You can not make the passport here, you have to go to the passport office to make one, depending where you will be at in Bkk, there are a few branches.

If you're closer to Bangna area - then the passport office is at Central department store - 5th floor. The fee will be 1000 baths - she doesn't have to fill out anything at all with the new biometric passport they will just scan her new ID card & finger prints and have her sign her name twice. The waiting time is about 1 hr, and the actual process is about 10 mins., then she can pick up her passport in 2 days. Since you have only 1 week, so make sure she makes her ID asap, then go to passport office same day or next day to do this. I think they close at 3 or 3:00 pm.

Edited by BKK90210

I can not book my seat on purchasing my ticket but I can a week ahead of take-off giving me 6 days more than the general public who get 24 hours online.

They will also tell you that its not possible to book the exit seats but i have known them all gone when i have been first at the airport absolutely hours ahead from the initiating point.

OP - getting to the airport early is a good idea but most will let you check-in online 24 hours before or by telephone researve seats.

Join the FF programme as even the min member gets some benefits over a non-member

Hi folks,

Thanks

Rj

ID card question:

Kop khun

TabianBaan = a thai house registration book in dark blue color, only thais with the same house number can be in this book. Farang name can not be in this book

She can make her ID card in any nearest district office, or the thais like to call it as "Ampur", ask your wife she will know this very well. You can not make the passport here, you have to go to the passport office to make one, depending where you will be at in Bkk, there are a few branches.

If you're closer to Bangna area - then the passport office is at Central department store - 5th floor. The fee will be 1000 baths - she doesn't have to fill out anything at all with the new biometric passport they will just scan her new ID card & finger prints and have her sign her name twice. The waiting time is about 1 hr, and the actual process is about 10 mins., then she can pick up her passport in 2 days. Since you have only 1 week, so make sure she makes her ID asap, then go to passport office same day or next day to do this. I think they close at 3 or 3:00 pm.

Thanks for the tip but she won't be changing her passport, just keep the same name in it, not important to us really. I'm only doing the running around/paperwork that I have to!

This TabianBaan book, are you saying that she has to have this in order to change her ID card in BKK. If not, she has to go to hometown? I don't know if she has one of these things :D

Does anyone know the exact procedure of what we will have to do with regard to the ID card once we have the visa and are ready to go to UK?

Muchos

If I book the tickets at the same time here in the UK, then the seats will be together automatically.

It has just occured to me that when the ID card is changed to say Mrs instead of Ms, it will then be different to her passport :D Does the passport have to change aswell as the ID card?

Or can it remain as it is?

What do we have to do here? I'm really not sure about this what so ever, does anybody know the EXACT procedure? Help!

Edited by Rj 81

With respect and, I hope he don't mind me saying this but, from my observations The Scouser is the best man for advise here.

It'd be cool to hook up for a drink fella. All the very best of luck to you Rj.

redrus

With respect and, I hope he don't mind me saying this but, from my observations The Scouser is the best man for advise here.

It'd be cool to hook up for a drink fella. All the very best of luck to you Rj.

redrus

Yeah theres only one man for this topic, scouser, where art thou?

"It'd be cool to hook up for a drink fella." Defo. Should be another piss up on the way soon I would imagine :o

"All the very best of luck to you Rj." Cheers redrus.

How about calling a local travel agent for the answer to 1? Seems like it would be possible to to this, but you won't know if there are special rules or something unless you ask.

I always get an E-Ticket and it is very rare that I can't choose my seats when I book. This includes both ticketing through airlines directly and US travel sites such as Orbitz or Travelocity.

It wouldn't be entirely a bad thing to have a separate itinerary just in case the visa gets held up or something. Ask your wife for her passport number and spelling of her name in the passport. I don't think you'll need anything besides that to book the ticket, but maybe also get the expiration date and other info. It wouldn't hurt to sign her up for the airline mileage program as well since that could help if you have to deal with changing seats or changing the flight date. Plus that's a lot of miles you don't want to give up.

Edited by Carmine6

How about calling a local travel agent for the answer to 1? Seems like it would be possible to to this, but you won't know if there are special rules or something unless you ask.

I always get an E-Ticket and it is very rare that I can't choose my seats when I book. It's actually been so long that I can't remember if I've ever had an international flight without choosing seats. This is with about a week of advance ticketing, as those times I remember not choosing were last minute domestic tickets. This includes both ticketing through airlines directly and US travel sites such as Orbitz or Travelocity.

It wouldn't be entirely a bad thing to have a separate itinerary just in case the visa gets held up or something.

Carmine your right, I just thought I'd ask here first, but yeah your right.

How could I have a seperate itinerary?

I always get an E-Ticket and it is very rare that I can't choose my seats when I book. It's actually been so long that I can't remember if I've ever had an international flight without choosing seats. This is with about a week of advance ticketing, as those times I remember not choosing were last minute domestic tickets. This includes both ticketing through airlines directly and US travel sites such as Orbitz or Travelocity.

It wouldn't be entirely a bad thing to have a separate itinerary just in case the visa gets held up or something.

Carmine your right, I just thought I'd ask here first, but yeah your right.

How could I have a seperate itinerary?

Oops, just edited it while you responded. If you can't book it all on one itinerary, you'll have 2 by default. It'll either be a one-way itinerary on one plus 2 one-way tickets on the other, or a round-trip for you plus a one-one itinerary on the other. A round-trip plus a one-way should cost less. But if there's a chance that you'd have to change the date on the return trip, it may be cheaper to get a non-changeable out there and a changeable one-way for you both back.

Not an issue traveling with more than one itinerary. The airline or immigration may ask you for the proof of onward travel, so you'd just have to show the other itinerary or confirmation info.

Okay thanks. I'll speak to a travel agent and let you know the outcome.

As for the passport I presume it's okay to just leave it as it is. We'll just get the ID card changed to say Mrs instead of Miss. After all when fiancee is going through the airport, they only look at the passport, right?

As for the passport I presume it's okay to just leave it as it is. We'll just get the ID card changed to say Mrs instead of Miss. After all when fiancee is going through the airport, they only look at the passport, right?
I believe that she must change the name on her ID card within 30 days of the marriage, but may be mistaken.

As for the passport, my wife didn't get round to changing the name in her passport until last year when she renewed it at the RTE in London, 4 years after first arriving in the UK.

However, remember that the name on the air ticket must match the name in the passport!

I believe that she must change the name on her ID card within 30 days of the marriage, but may be mistaken.

As for the passport, my wife didn't get round to changing the name in her passport until last year when she renewed it at the RTE in London, 4 years after first arriving in the UK.

However, remember that the name on the air ticket must match the name in the passport!

Thanks GU22, that is the info I was looking for.

Couple of things you gotta consider...

Buying ticks and reserving seats can be done almost anywhere with the right information ...which goes onto what should be your main point...the.. VISA...

You keep saying when you get your fiancees visa (which I am sure that you will.....hopefully) but not to put a damper on the whole thing i would suggest you wait until you actually get it and if possible SEE it first before you do anything else.

I have known guys to turn up in Bangers with all the expectations of doing as you say and spending a lotta dosh (tickets,gold necklasses clothes,suitcases,fluffy toys....champange...)etc only to be very badly let down.....when no visa......

Also others who dont appear to give a S..t and sail through :o

Dont forget that the T agents might issue a tickt on assumption, but the airline will not carry her if there are any abnormalities (they can be hit with a £5,000 fine)

....just suggest you phutt cha cha...a bit....

Also re the ID/name change...why bother....unless its really important to you....

My wife still has her origional Thai PP/ID card because of all the hassle changing her other stuff...business papers,house,land,share certificates,driving licenses,insurance ..etc...all that krup...so over last 5 years kept it and ..no prob.

As said before for travel at UK-Heathrow its ...in/out on UK

PP....and in Bangers/C.M ..on Thai...easy... :D

Hi Rinrada,

My fiancee is not changing her second name to mine, she's keeping her name. I thought that changing the ID card from Miss to Mrs had to be done though?

If I wait until we get the visa I will have 1 one week to get her booked on the same flight sat next to me. I will be booking the tickets very soon, however won't be actually flying for another 5 months or so. If we wait I don't think theres much chance she will get on the same flight as me, let alone sat next to each other.

I know what your saying about waiting to see the outcome of the visa, but, I'm confident she will get it as I can't see where we don't meet any of the requirements for the visa. I will be more concerned about not getting the visa than losing money the flight.

Edited by Rj 81

I know what your saying about waiting to see the outcome of the visa, but, I'm confident she will get it as I can't see where we don't meet any of the requirements for the visa. I will be more concerned about not getting the visa than losing money the flight.

I am never one for tempting fate........but each to their own.

However although you might not want to go to the expense of getting her a fully refundable ticket, maybe as a compromise make sure that she can at least change her departure date, even if it costs a fee (usually around £70?), to allow for any last minute hangups with the VISA / or if push comes to shove being able to bump the ticket back 3 or 6 months.

I don't see it as tempting fate. It's the only way I can be sure that we will be flying together.

I know what your saying about the visa and last minute glitches, but, we will have applied over 3 months in advance, therefore giving the Embassy plenty of time to raise any issues they may have.

Hi Rj 81,

I know you feel confident for the visa, i was the same, thought we had covered all the bases, but my fiancee then did not get the visa.

We are married now and she has her interview on the 1st March, but although i am hopefull all will be good for us, i will not book anything until i see the visa.

I wish you Good luck and hope it all works out for you both.

Hi Rj 81,

I know you feel confident for the visa, i was the same, thought we had covered all the bases, but my fiancee then did not get the visa.

We are married now and she has her interview on the 1st March, but although i am hopefull all will be good for us, i will not book anything until i see the visa.

I wish you Good luck and hope it all works out for you both.

Hi rob,

What type of visa did you apply for? Was it for the UK?

I know the possibilities of what may happen, however the fact that if it came to it, I lost money on a flight would not concern me, I would be too concerned as to why the visa was refused. Booking the flight in advance is the only way to go about doing it for me.

Best of luck to you too.

RJ

Seems like I will be doing the same thing as you in September and have the same sort of questions, so I will be watching your posts with interest.

I fully support your views- You have to at least believe the visa will be ok. Otherwise how can you plan anything.

In terms of seats together on the same flight, I have found that as long as you turn up at the desk together and you are early enough you will get to sit together even if you booked separately.

The risk is that the flight may be full, but the chances are that if you get a good bargain it won’t be too busy a flight.

One thing I have discovered is that if you buy a one-way ticket from BKK to LHR for your wife over the internet they are disproportionably expensive. (I have also heard there can be problems if your credit card isn’t from the same country as your start point). So speak to a UK travel agent as they may be cheaper. Alternatively get your girlfriend to go to a Thai travel agent –(they always seem cheaper) and book on the same flight as you.

The bit about the passport and ID name confuses me too. I am sure it must be advantageous once in the UK to have the same surname on your passport? It doesn’t exactly show much commitment if you don’t.

At this rate I think I will go a few months early-get married on paper and sort all the visa rubbish out, and then return for a wedding ceremony which is when we will consider ourselves married!

Good luck and let us all know what happens

James

Just one more thing on this subject.

I will be booking the flights with either KLM, Lufthansa, or Air France, maybe another but not sure yet.

Will my wife need a transit visa for any of these countries, Holland, France or Germany, or any other country that we may be passing through on the way back home.

If so, I don't think we will have time to apply, as once we get the visa, we will have one week before returning to the UK.

If I have to I will book with British Airways and get the connecting flight from London, albeit they are alot more expensive :o

KLM is connecting in Amsterdam, Lufthansa in Frankfurt or Munich.

For both carriers you stay in the same airport, i.e. no need to go through immigration and therefore no need for a Visa (Which would be a Schengen visa)

Same is true for Air France, however, Paris has 2 major airports. So you must make sure that the connecting flight leave from the same airport as you arrive. That would be Charles de Gaulle (CDG).

Different story if you arrive CDG and want to connect Orly...

As said, as long as arrival and departure for onward flight is in the same airport no need for visa. Just follow the transit signs. You should get in BKK already the boarding passes for the connecting flight (if not you need to contact a transfer counter after arrival from BKK).

The boarding pass issued in BKK usually will not show the departing gate for the onward flight. So you have to study one of the monitors to find the gate, than just go there.

Thanks for the info Axel.

I want to avoid Air France if possible, the transfer at CDG is cack! Although your basically straight off one plane and straight onto the other.

In Frankfurt I arrived but I didn't have any Euros to get a coffee, so I went through into the big hall where the ATM was, got some money, but then going back the same way I came, I had to go through the baggage scanner and I think I had to show my passport aswell, again! Then they started searching my bag, cheeky cnuts! So, I may try to avoid them aswell.

Schiphol may be the best bet, not encounted any problems with KLM, yet!

So for anyone in any future doubt, you don't need a transit visa for your wife to pass through another country on the way to the UK.