Electrical Requirements

southsea

Thank you for helping with some earlier questions. We have used the website to answer more. However, as you might expect we have a few more as we are getting closer to moving. We’ll try to help repay the community by helping other newbies once we’re settled in.

Does anyone here know whether or not “aclubau” is a reputable dealer on ebay? Has anyone had any experience with the AC voltage converter transformer 220V to 120V? In conjunction with this do any of you have experience with any of the items listed below using 220V/50hz to 120V/60hz conversion

1) Waring Deep Fat Fryer

2) Analog Clocks

3) Brother Printer

4) Cuisinart Food Processor

5) Cuisinart Coffee Maker

6) KitchenAid Mixer

7) Waterpik

8) Champion Food Grinder

9) VIVA Ice Cream Maker

10) DaLite Motorized Movie Screen

Thank you!

Hi, I just checked the seller out. He has over 9000 feedback with very few negative and neutral feedback which is excellant and trustworthy.

Yes I would buy from him. Ive got over 600 feedback so I know ebay quite well

Im Australian, our power is 240volt which doesnt require using transformers in Thailand, lucky us.

Good luck, and yes trust that seller.

I will say this. I've had lousy luck with no-name electronics when the seller is in Asia. The last time it was a lot of 3 computer power supply testers for cheap and I bit. Every one of them was DOA, out of Hong Kong. No wonder the lot was just US $10 shipped!! I didn't even bother to complain. I still wound up paying the $25 for one brand name one which works great.

Worse, I could have thrown away 3 perfectly good 450w power supplies because my old, and 3 new testers all said they were bad! I finally broke open a known-good computer and decided that my old tester had died, and the 3 new were DOA.

Edited by NeverSure

I will say this. I've had lousy luck with no-name electronics when the seller is in Asia. The last time it was a lot of 3 computer power supply testers for cheap and I bit. Every one of them was DOA, out of Hong Kong. No wonder the lot was just US $10 shipped!! I didn't even bother to complain. I still wound up paying the $25 for one brand name one which works great.

Worse, I could have thrown away 3 perfectly good 450w power supplies because my old, and 3 new testers all said they were bad! I finally broke open a known-good computer and decided that my old tester had died, and the 3 new were DOA.

Could of contacted seller and got money back. Yes it usually is better to buy locally, pay a bit more and get quality. Edited by krisb

Can't comment on the Ebay user, feedback looks OK.

The issue with using US spec. kit in Thailand is not just voltage, anything with a motor will run slow and may overheat on the 50Hz supply.

My responses in RED :-

1) Waring Deep Fat Fryer --- Transformer will probably cost more than a new fryer

2) Analog Clocks --- Mains synchronised clocks will run slow on 50Hz, no point

3) Brother Printer --- Probably OK (may even have a universal power supply)

4) Cuisinart Food Processor --- Will run slow, probably OK but beware of overheating if you're a heavy user

5) Cuisinart Coffee Maker --- Will run slow, probably OK but beware of overheating if you're a heavy user

6) KitchenAid Mixer --- Will run slow, probably OK but beware of overheating if you're a heavy user

7) Waterpik --- Probably OK

8) Champion Food Grinder --- Will run slow, probably OK but beware of overheating if you're a heavy user

9) VIVA Ice Cream Maker --- Motors will run slow, could be OK

10) DaLite Motorized Movie Screen --- Will run slow, probably OK.

To be honest, apart from low power kit I would not bother with the hassle of converters, sell / give it away and buy new here.

If you do go with converters, make sure they are meaty enough for the load and ensure that the US plug is retained in the converter so that they cannot accidentally be plugged in to a 220V outlet (US plugs fit Thai outlets just fine).

Could of contacted seller and got money back. Yes it usually is better to buy locally, pay a bit more and get quality.

For ten bucks? Sending the items back - postage - time wasted - asking for refund - getting refund - not worth it. Lesson learned was worth it.

Could of contacted seller and got money back. Yes it usually is better to buy locally, pay a bit more and get quality.

For ten bucks? Sending the items back - postage - time wasted - asking for refund - getting refund - not worth it. Lesson learned was worth it.

exactly, not worth the hassle. Ive learned that lesson also. Better to go buy good quality in a real shop sometimes.

Thanks to those who responded. Your comments are helpful. Krisb, thanks for checking out the dealer and giving us your opinion. And Crossy thanks for commenting on each item. Mostly what we thought but likely to take a chance on some of the motorized items such as the screen which would cost upward of $1K to retrofit which seems far too expensive. You're likely to be asking more opinions up until the move. Thank you.

Have not looked for years but transformers have always been available here in Thailand easier than overseas (and made here) so I would buy later when you really know what you need. And if upcountry variable voltage transformers are common to account for low voltage supply. On Water Pik have had very bad luck with them (hose breaks easily) and bought a model from UK years ago that has lasted well and no transformer required (which is an issue in bathroom). The speed loss on motors can be a major issue - never got air popper for corn to work here as it used fixed speed motor that did not run fast enough. Variable speed will never get up to full speed but may be usable. Believe I would only bring the movie screen. Remember you will not be using letter size paper here so printer may have issues other than voltage.

Good advice all except perhaps

Remember you will not be using letter size paper here so printer may have issues other than voltage.

Computer gear is one industry that has really tried to be as inter as possible, often switchable power supply and certainly the ability to accommodate different paper sizes.

But I would never bother transporting any of the stuff the OP's talking about, sell or donate to charity on one end, buy new at the other. Most expat contracts will allow you take a lump-sum for the transport allowance rather than itemizing receipts. . .