Wooden Boat Collective In Chiang Mai?

Kimpanzee

I'm looking to see if there is interest in building wooden boats in Chiang Mai. I plan on building a SCAMP beginning this March. I'm going to build a space in the car port to work and store the boat out of the rain and be able to keep my tools in order. I plan on having a drill, jigsaw, clamps, epoxy, etc. on site.

I'm wondering if anybody would be into doing these sorts of projects? I plan on sailing this boat at dam reservoirs close to Chiang Mai and would love to take it down south and go to some islands.

I can envision a group that would work on boats together and sail together. I'm building this boat from plans and have never done it before, however I have the fire in my belly and wife is into it.

Having sailed in the US I know that this place is ripe for boating, but I see nobody doing it. I would love to bring some boating to the this area and want to expose my kids and friends to the world of sailing small boats.

I'm into John Welsford designs and anything by Iain Outhread.

Let me know what you think.

Kip Otteson

Chiang Mai

• Like 1

It looks like a few people are interested in getting together and chatting about plans and projects. How about meeting in two weeks time. Sometime after the 16th of November. I'm swamped.

We have people both north and south of Chiang Mai and some in the middle. Would people like to meet at my house, (on the southern edge by the Hang Dong Big C) or at a local watering hole?

Let me know and let's get the ball rolling.

Kip Otteson

I think that we should meet at Beercamp in Chiang Mai on Weds. the 21st of November at 6pm. We can bring plans, pics, whatever, and talk about some future dates and designs.

This is the place.

Nimmanhaemin Soi 5 at a place called Click@Nimman. It was formerly called Outdoors/LoveMore and here's the map: http://goo.gl/maps/BP32h

Hope to see you all there.

Kip

I think that we should meet at Beercamp in Chiang Mai on Weds. the 21st of November at 6pm. We can bring plans, pics, whatever, and talk about some future dates and designs.

This is the place.

Nimmanhaemin Soi 5 at a place called Click@Nimman. It was formerly called Outdoors/LoveMore and here's the map: http://goo.gl/maps/BP32h

Hope to see you all there.

Kip

I think I confused you kip; ignore the Beercamp bit - that is the name of a tech group that meets each week in the area! The place is called click@Nimman and is on Nimmahaemin Soi 5, at the intersection halfway up the soi, as shown on your map link.

The idea crossed my mind not long ago. Nice to see I'm not the only one.

I'd like to join the meeting even if I'm rather a newbie in sailing but this would be the opportunity to know more on the topic and maybe contribute some way.

Will join on the 21st.

I lived in Combes Boatyard in Chichester Harbour in an old Maurice Griffiths cutter 31ft, iroko on oak, which I restored,

Well remember being tucked in below in the mahogany glow cosy and warm with snow covering everything.

In the spring or summer with the hatch open would sometimes wake up with a bird in the cabin.

Will try to pop along :-)

Cheeryble

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 1

Nice classic-looking boat. I'm not sure it's the best design for sailing in the light and variable airs we have in this area though - appears somewhat heavy for its LOA and that lug rig will be a bit deformed on the tack where the sail is upwind of the mast. We lived aboard a Wharram Tiki 46 gaff schooner for a couple of years and there is nothing quite like peaking up a gaff. Now have the plans for a Spindrift 10N which can be rowed or motored as well - http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/spin.htm although we plan to use foam/glass sandwich instead of plywood to reduce weight. Hope to begin next rainy season as well. Good luck on what appears to be a very ambitious project; unfortunately we live a bit too far away to attend your meetings but look forward to following your progress...

Great meeting last night. Thanks Kevinm, Xavier, and John for showing up and discussing the plans. We are now going to be collecting materials and looking for a start date on construction in April. The design we are going to be pursuing is this one.

http://smallcraftadv...ent/article/361

Kip Otteson

It was great to meet you guys y'day. Started having a look at the first book already ;)

I was just about to ask you for some link and here it comes before asking.. thanks!

Nice to have pics, so here is the Scamp

Whoops too small let's try again....dam_n won't let me now, ah well

post-120824-13535832599605_thumb.jpg

Yes, very nice to meet you all....

Was thinking about the sails......and the UV acrylic curtain material I mentioned.

It is designed to be tight enough to stop the light. It's not heavy, and as I said about a 8 or 9 sqm blind cost me 4900 including the rail and ties and fitting from my regular very reliable lady. I'm guessing you don't need much more than this,so as this is not designed for storm conditions perhaps you might make a big saving in money (did you mention $500 Kip?) and ordering hassle by getting made locally. Then you'll have introduced sailmaking to CM!

Cheeryble

Edited by cheeryble

Hello, I'm new to this forum but have many years in Asia including several years

teaching at university in Bangkok.

I'm still in the Philippines so couldn't make the meeting last night, but plan to be

in Chiang Mai first week of March. Would like to join the project if it's not too late.

Like Kip, I have no boat-buiilding experience, only have the burning urge.

We plan to make Chiang Mai our retirement home.

Hope to see you all then.

Brad

This company produce plywood. I don't know about quality but I just saw they put some pics of small boat construction on their website and also pics of use in construction (just navigate within the "product" pages).

Probably tomorrow, our company will order a few panels from them for evaluation in a project.

Let me know if it seems to you this could be of any interest in our building discussion here since we had been discussing the difficulty of sourcing decent quality in TH. In this case we could order some panel extra for check and avoid extra transportation fees (they are around BKK it seems).

http://www.pwood.co.th/products_model.php

Hi I wasn't able to read the specs of that wood but it looks very dense - if so the boat will be even heavier than designed and light air performance will really suffer. BTW that cockpit layout looks ideally suited for sculling should you find yourself becalmed in the middle of the lake at sunset.

...sorry to barge in like this here,but I was doing a boat project in CM couple of years ago and I was using a locally available plywood which is waterproof,but it is kind of heavy...you can recognize it by green fish stamp on it.......well,this is the only one that I could locate without importing the real stuff...Regards..

AFAIK the only waterproof ply made in LOS is called 'tha chang', a bit reddish in color and has a red elephant symbol stamped in the corner. It is very waterproof but not many laminations for its thickness and it's definitely heavier and weaker than the equivalent marine ply. Takes epoxy well and lots of boats have been built with it in LOS however including my old Tiki 46...

Sorry to but in on this but I was looking for marine ply a while back and it seems that one of the only available sources is a boatyard in Phuket. On a Thai site I visited, where they built a fishing boat out of marine ply, they imported the ply from Myanmar.

I was going to build a stitch and glue sit-on-top kayak but shelved the project because of the difficulty in sourcing the appropriate plywood. Waterproof ply just did not fit the bill as I needed to keep the weight down while maintaining the strength.

Follow up of the supplier mentioned yesterday (P Wood).

We call them and they say they stopped manufacturing plywood suitable for boat building by lack of buyers..

Instead of specialty ply, it might be quite feasible to use top quality exterior ply for your project, especially if the plans call for glassing over the wood. Since your boat won't be living in the water just saturating the wood (and every hole you ever drill into it) with epoxy should be OK.