Anatomy Of A Thai/Farang Car Accident - Interview!

Felix Lynn

On the next Thailand Today,

Is it ever not your fault in a vehicular accident with a Thai national? That question gets answered in a compelling interview with a man who went head-on, on the road, and at the police station, with a Thai national. Hear the surprising results on another edition of “Anatomy of a Thai/Farang Car Accident,” on the next Thailand Today.

Can two Thais ever meet as equals? Analyzing and dissecting the ancient Thai cast system.

All that and a serious news round up, on the next Thailand Today, each Monday, Wednesday and Friday, at 5am, 1pm and 9pm only on http://www.radiobangkok.net Hot in the city!

This quick note, please visit our website and take our Radio Bangkok

Survey. It takes only a couple of minutes. Also, Radio Bangkok reaches

150,000 listeners a month and if you or your company would like to

sponsor Thailand Today or any of our shows, visit our website or email us at

[email protected]

On the next Thailand Today,

Is it ever not your fault in a vehicular accident with a Thai national? That question gets answered in a compelling interview with a man who went head-on, on the road, and at the police station, with a Thai national. Hear the surprising results on another edition of “Anatomy of a Thai/Farang Car Accident,” on the next Thailand Today

I had a car accident last year and automatically was blamed.

Thai against farang - usually we don't have a chance.

There is a very small %age of thai people who would give the farang a fair trial when against the Thai. Thai rak thai and all that, which I'm not complaining about, just saying as it is.

I had to pull out one of my trump cards to get the police on my side.

I've heard loads of stories about the farang getting the bill for the repairs, EVEN WHEN IT WAS THE OTHER GUYS FAULT! I spoke to a guy who had a bill of 750,000 baht recently because he hit a motorcyle, or rather the motorcycle hit him and the guy had a sore leg(not even broken). I said 'what the <deleted>, are you crazy?' and the guy said that he was scared to argue with the police.

I suspect that the guy's girlfriend had a deal going with the police and the 'victim'. 750,000 for a sore leg and a new bike!!!

Why do Thai people adopt this attitude? I don't think it is because we are just foriegners but because often farang don't or can't stand up for themselves. I know some who would never demand their rights and tell the police to 'get to <deleted>'.

Normally car is always responsible for injuries to someone on a motorbike, even if they are at fault.

Been in a few accidents myself, and I am only 1/2, but never been blamed for one that wasn't my fault (ok ok, one of them was my fault, but the guy didn't want money).

Get an insurance firm involved, and I think you'll find that the party responsible ends up paying.

but that is BKK, up country might be a bit different.. :o

Normally car is always responsible for injuries to someone on a motorbike, even if they are at fault.

Been in a few accidents myself, and I am only 1/2, but never been blamed for one that wasn't my fault (ok ok, one of them was my fault, but the guy didn't want money).

Get an insurance firm involved, and I think you'll find that the party responsible ends up paying.

but that is BKK, up country might be a bit different.. :o

From the few interviews I've done with foreigners who've had accidents, knowing Thai has been key to getting a fair shake, no matter whose fault it was. If you don't know Thai, get a Thai friend or family member involved quickly.

The "jackpot lottery" mentality with injury is not just a Thai fantasy. It's a regular thing back in the states where you have people faking injuries constantly to try and cash in.

Tonight's interview is revealing, however. I hope you can tune in! 9pm http://www.radiobangkok.net