Small Car Prices / Advice

Hi

Moving back to TL - at least for half the year.

So im looking for a small car. Ive done dome googling for "thailand small car prices" but there isnt much up to date info out there, im overseas at the moment.

So ill either be getting new or up to 3 years old - probably new. I just want small cheap car. Im concerned about depreciation maybe i hear honda and totota the best for that but i do kind of like the suzuki swifts

Ive been thinking

Vios - everyone seems to have one, they must be ok?

Suzuki Swift

Mazda 2

FIesta

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Can anyone give me heads up on new prices for these? Id be looking at basic model, i dont care about mag wheels but i do need automatic

Also - what are these like on depreciation?

Id be buying in own name so wouldnt get the first car discount thing if thats still available

Thanks

Car prices are on most manufacturers Thai web sites if you can struggle through the generally poor web site designs. A quicker but less accurate source of price information is at the Redbook Thai site: http://www.redbookas...en&srch=1&new=1

The Honda City / Jazz are definitely worth considering. The Jazz seems to have extremely low depreciation, good if buying new / not good if buying used.

The Swift, Mazda 2 and Fiesta are all relatively new to the Thai market so it is too early to know what their depreciation will be like in the long term. You can get some idea by looking at the used car asking prices at sites like taladrod.com

or one2car.com

Some other things to consider,

All of these will probably have long delivery times, so do not expect to get a car quickly.

Thai used cars less than 3 years old are usually priced too close to new. If you can afford it, buying new is a better overall deal.

Suzuki dealers are thin on the ground outside of BKK. If you go for a Swift, check if there is a dealer convenient to your location.

Nissan March might be worth considering as well.

A lot of the Autos are no longer traditional Torque converter type slush boxes. The newer CVTs and Dual clutch transmissions are slightly different to drive.

If you do not already have a preference, may be better to hire some cars for a day here first or test drive before arriving in Thailand, (decent test drives are really hard to get here).

The cheaper base models may or may not have mag wheels but also might lack ABS and / or Airbags. Check the spec sheets carefully.

Good luck.

Edited by Jitar

My wife has just got the Mitsubishi Mirage starts at 380k goes up to 546k. Problem for you may be delivery time. You may consider looking at repossessions and there are a lot of them around st the moment. The easiest mak to finde is Toyota who have set up second hand dealerships under the name 'Sure'. For others you may have to look up financial companies websites or find out where a local auction type sale is held.

Another one to consider is the Nissan Almera (400-500K THB range). It's a practical sedan with CVT that received a good write-up in the US auto magazines. It's built on the same platform as the March and the interior/trunk space approaches that of the larger Altima (Teana in TL).

I'd go for the Ford Fiesta for its styling though. They look pretty cool to me. cool.png

Edited by SoCalChris

Another one to consider is the Nissan Almera (400-500K THB range). It's a practical sedan with CVT that received a good write-up in the US auto magazines. It's built on the same platform as the March and the interior/trunk space approaches that of the larger Altima (Teana in TL).

I'd go for the Ford Fiesta for its styling though. They look pretty cool to me. cool.png

Amara looks pretty cool you saying 400k for an automatic? Is it totally underpowered?

My wife has just got the Mitsubishi Mirage starts at 380k goes up to 546k. Problem for you may be delivery time. You may consider looking at repossessions and there are a lot of them around st the moment. The easiest mak to finde is Toyota who have set up second hand dealerships under the name 'Sure'. For others you may have to look up financial companies websites or find out where a local auction type sale is held.

whats the cheapest mirage auto?

nissan march is what - same as nissan micra? my mrs has an auto micra i just hate it, very underpowered and very small inside. Im 6foot.

what year is your wifes MICRA?

if you think thats small then all of them will be.. get the Almera it seems bigger inside..

of 2nd hand look at Proton. they have already done the depreciation and can be found for a bargain price.

Amara looks pretty cool you saying 400k for an automatic? Is it totally underpowered?

Yes, from a financial perspective, the Almera is the coolest. thumbsup.gif About it being underpowered, for me it probably would be, but for my wife who does not like my "assertive" driving style, she would be happy as a clam. tongue.png It'll depend on your preference and a test drive is a must.

In all fairness, the CVT transmission makes the most out of the 1.2L engine's output over that of a standard geared auto tranny. For full throttle, the CVT will adjust itself to keep the engine rpm close to its peak hp output. It's kind of a weird sensation when you are used to a gear transmissions where the engine rpms rise and then fall with the gear change. Spirited part throttle driving; the engine will go close to its peak torque rpm. Driving like a pu$$y will keep the rpms very low for fuel efficiency. FWIW, I don't know anything personally about the latter way to drive........sorry! wink.png

Edited by SoCalChris

nissan march is what - same as nissan micra? my mrs has an auto micra i just hate it, very underpowered and very small inside. Im 6foot.

what year is your wifes MICRA?

if you think thats small then all of them will be.. get the Almera it seems bigger inside..

of 2nd hand look at Proton. they have already done the depreciation and can be found for a bargain price.

About 3 years old. The previous model to the one out now. I fit fine in my i20. Also ive test driven swift in austalia and its fine. i rented vios in thailand also fine

Yes, from a financial perspective, the Almera is the coolest. thumbsup.gif About it being underpowered, for me it probably would be, but for my wife who does not like my "assertive" driving style, she would be happy as a clam. tongue.png It'll depend on your preference and a test drive is a must.

In all fairness, the CVT transmission makes the most out of the 1.2L engine's output over that of a standard geared auto tranny. For full throttle, the CVT will adjust itself to keep the engine rpm close to its peak hp output. It's kind of a weird sensation when you are used to a gear transmissions where the engine rpms rise and then fall with the gear change. Spirited part throttle driving; the engine will go close to its peak torque rpm. Driving like a pu$$y will keep the rpms very low for fuel efficiency. FWIW, I don't know anything personally about the latter way to drive........sorry! wink.png

my wifes micra is a 1.4 i think might even be a 1.6 definatley not a 1.2 and it seems like you have to rev the crap out of it all the time to get anywhere and im not a fast driver the 1.2 must be awful?

Edited by BuffaloRescue

FWIW too, my Russian colleague, who takes care of the fleet of Russian cars advised me strongly against the Almera. She said this car are awful, both from the point of view of quality as from the point of view of reliability (I guess she knows what she talks about). She is not biased against Nissan either (her own car is an X-trail).

So, be advised that you will get what you pay for... Namely an underpowered city sedan on a motor of tiny hatch. I have not heard of issues on reliability with the Almera here in Thailand, so that may be specifically related to the harsh Russian winters.

What you should be considering......... many of the low or base models here Do Not have airbags or ABS..

If you do need these it is a bit of mix and match finding which models do have what.. eg: the brand new Chevy Sonic only the top model has them, yet you can get a car for the same price or cheaper made in Malaysia, China, Korea etc that has them on all/most models.

FWIW too, my Russian colleague, who takes care of the fleet of Russian cars advised me strongly against the Almera. She said this car are awful, both from the point of view of quality as from the point of view of reliability (I guess she knows what she talks about). She is not biased against Nissan either (her own car is an X-trail).

So, be advised that you will get what you pay for... Namely an underpowered city sedan on a motor of tiny hatch. I have not heard of issues on reliability with the Almera here in Thailand, so that may be specifically related to the harsh Russian winters.

Different car.. same name..

http://paultan.org/2012/08/30/nissan-almera-russia-introduces-its-own-version/

also.. Malaysia have a 1.5 Almera.. i hope that comes here to THailand at the right price..

http://paultan.org/2012/11/05/driven-nissan-almera-1-5-cvtc-to-melaka-and-back/

Edited by thaicbr

What you should be considering......... many of the low or base models here Do Not have airbags or ABS..

If you do need these it is a bit of mix and match finding which models do have what.. eg: the brand new Chevy Sonic only the top model has them, yet you can get a car for the same price or cheaper made in Malaysia, China, Korea etc that has them on all/most models.

The mid range Sonic LT has drivers airbag and ABS..................

Anyone know the current lead time for a swift in chaing mai? thanks

I'm not sure about Chiang Mai, but the press reports delivery times up to September NEXT YEAR if you had ordered last month! Mine is due in June next year. I hope you are not in a hurry. The swift factory has a small output, and orders have far outstripped what it can produce. having said that, I think it's worth the wait - it's actually larger than the previous swift, though the engine and output is lower. I found acceleration fine when you need to put your foot down. I'm 6'3" and drove it easily - though my head was close to the roof when I sat in the back. There's already loads of aftermarket for this car available too.

id go for the fiesta 1.6 so id have both extra power and styling but of course thats only my opinion and i have my wifes permission to have an opinion.

If you put the drivers seat right back the average sized adult CANNOT sit behind the seat. I tried and could not even get my feet in behind the seat. The rear is only good kids or dogs biggrin.png

If you put the drivers seat right back the average sized adult CANNOT sit behind the seat. I tried and could not even get my feet in behind the seat. The rear is only good kids or dogs biggrin.png

To be fair though, the average Thai adult is not going to have the drivers seat right back anyway. I sat in the back recently from Ayutthaya to Bangkok and while cramped it is possible. That said, if you need to carry more than 2 adults on a regular basis then I would be looking at a larger car.

Don't put gasohol in it. It breaks down.