Keeping Busy

bluie

Hi guys,

As I travel around Ubon these days I see more and more white faces and some not so white which I think is nice, but what I find amazing is what everyone occupies there days with day in and day out,, where you like to eat, what interests fill your days, Ubon has changed during the time I have been here some of the entertainment spots no longer exist and the replacements are mainly for Thai's, while I can understand that as we are in Thailand, so how do you fill your day?????

What would you like to see here there will soon be a lot more shops to walk around.

The majority of us do not have full time jobs. I spend most of my time helping others with DIY tasks, whether it be research, a physical helping hand or tending to my own self help projects around the house. There are many, many things to do as standards vary wildly between foreigners and locals. I have spent more time fixing things in my 2 year old house than I did in the 19 years I spent in my previous house in the USA. If you're not going to work full time, then a hobby is a must—even if it's trekking to the stores each day just to purchase the days meal.

In the four and a half months since I got here for good: Build chicken coop. Locate where I can buy building materials, set up my wood working work shop, fix some stuff in the garden, paint the house, make plans for a new kitchen and bathroom, get married, find out more about visa extensions and import duties than I would wish, buy furniture, break and fix the truck...

Posted Today, 09:48

The majority of us do not have full time jobs. I spend most of my time helping others with DIY tasks, whether it be research, a physical helping hand or tending to my own self help projects around the house. There are many, many things to do as standards vary wildly between foreigners and locals. I have spent more time fixing things in my 2 year old house than I did in the 19 years I spent in my previous house in the USA. If you're not going to work full time, then a hobby is a must—even if it's trekking to the stores each day just to purchase the days meal.

• MultiQuote
    The majority of my foreign friends (farangs) have fulltime jobs in Ubon. These jobs being teaching, lecturing, working in businesses, farming and consulting. But if you say the majority of us don't have full time jobs I will take your word for it. I guess I just don't run into your group of people.

• Like 1

Posted Today, 09:48

• MultiQuote
    The majority of my foreign friends (farangs) have fulltime jobs in Ubon. These jobs being teaching, lecturing, working in businesses, farming and consulting. But if you say the majority of us don't have full time jobs I will take your word for it. I guess I just don't run into your group of people.

Maybe the workers and the non workers could have a get together and make some new friends.

Might make Ubon a mecca for other foreigners if they see you all getting along so well?

• Like 1

Another useless topic with a ridiculous title.

If I had known what the Op was going to say I would not have opened.

But since you did you had to answer. Edited by krisb

I see a quite a few foreigner's here in Ubon. I'm pretty sure most of them are

not working as English teachers because I don't believe that

there are that many opening's available here.

I do feel that there are quite a few retired ex-pats living here.

If you can't keep yourself busy, bluie, you have no business living in Isan. Simple as that.

I'm not busy. smile.png

At last a sound reply. I never understood why people would come to live here and be so busy all the time that they don't even have time for a walk. Surely stress is not good but stress in 32C temperature is really bad.

• Like 1

If you can't keep yourself busy, bluie, you have no business living in Isan. Simple as that.

I'm not busy. smile.png

At last a sound reply. I never understood why people would come to live here and be so busy all the time that they don't even have time for a walk. Surely stress is not good but stress in 32C temperature is really bad.

Yes, indeed, Tanaka, a walk is a necessity for most people to keep themselves reasonably fit. I walk for two hours or more a day.... and call that part of keeping busy. Being busy doesn't have to be stressful.

• Like 2

I'm not busy. smile.png

Yes, indeed, Tanaka, a walk is a necessity for most people to keep themselves reasonably fit. I walk for two hours or more a day.... and call that part of keeping busy. Being busy doesn't have to be stressful.

Wow, you walk 2 hours a day, every day on or near Thai roads, hmmmmm, think your life expectancy really has taken a dive unless you walk around with a flashing light on your head or walk in front of an elephant. w00t.gif ...............................smile.png

Apart from those that work and in Ubon is probably teaching, the rest do the same as anyone else anywhere else in Thailand...wake up, shower and reach for a Chang/Archa then sleep when full up...continuous cycle o fboozing and smoking...if only they realised the mess they look maybe they would change their habits and excercise and have a healthy diet...but no of course they dont need to as they are all handsome men.

Wow, you walk 2 hours a day, every day on or near Thai roads, hmmmmm, think your life expectancy really has taken a dive unless you walk around with a flashing light on your head or walk in front of an elephant. w00t.gif ...............................smile.png

Why on earth would I walk "on or near Thai roads"? That's a pretty daft suggestion... and stressful, I would have thought.

Apart from those that work and in Ubon is probably teaching, the rest do the same as anyone else anywhere else in Thailand...wake up, shower and reach for a Chang/Archa then sleep when full up...continuous cycle o fboozing and smoking...if only they realised the mess they look maybe they would change their habits and excercise and have a healthy diet...but no of course they dont need to as they are all handsome men.

Many in Ubon work and it is not teaching. They run business, farm and do consultancy. They work hard, exercise and maintain a healthy diet. The last thing they want to do is walk around roads and breath in the fumes of the ever increasing traffic in Ubon.

I normally wake up, check the internet for emails, listen to some western music on True TV, cook some eggs and bacon, then walk around the shopping malls. I will normally dine at either Fuji or one of the western bars, N'Joy and TC do some great farang food, and the Wrong Way burger is brilliant. John's pies at the Peppers fills me up too much. Spagos has great pizzas.

Then I'll go home and watch some HBO or BBC news, then drink some beers with my western friends.

Life is busy for me, but I have to go to western bars 'cos I don't know how to order a beer in Thai.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some of us have worked all of our lives and feel that we now have the right to be incredibly lazy if we choose. And, I choose to be lazy.

Agree after 35 years as a bricklayer i have earned my right to be lazy!!

• Like 1

Funnily enough I find time flies when we are up on the farm. With the fish, ducks, cows etc and then hopefully a few hours fishing in ths afternoons then back for a beer or two on the balcony overlooking my fish pond never time to be bored.

I suppose a 20 month old daughter requires a bit of ATT too.