Women In Bangkok Found Working Long Hours

webfact

First, we need to work with quality not quantity. I also work long day almost 13 hours per day.

I found one thing that Thai people doesn't know how to manage the time. Someday you work a lot but someday you get lazy and not 100% with your work in that day, then you need to work late and continue that work in the next day. Always like that.

If we manage our job everyday, we will work less hours. biggrin.png

I know because I'm Thai. Ha Ha

Edited by Nony

I actually wonder why they need to work so long hours, because whatever business I walk into I can notice that they have at least double the amount of employees as they would have in the western world to perform the same job.

Women from upcountry working in factories in Bangkok and surroundings frequently work double shifts, 16 hours, and their children are hundreds of kilometers away, seeing their mothers a couple of times every year. Yeah... I really feel sorry for those Bangkok women sad.png

• Like 1

So many people bashing so much? I think most forget that the majority of Thai's (that don't work for large multi nationals) work 6 day weeks (or have only 2 days off per month), it varies depending on the company and industry.

Add in 9 hour days plus long commute times and I think the article reflects what it is (but missed the vital commuting time issue). In my large condo where I live, which is a little outside central Bangkok, most people return home from works between 7.30-8:30. Taking into consideration the probably left at 7:00 in the morning (to start work at 8am), that's a dam_n long day. 12 hour days 6 days a week for the usually average wage of 10-15,000 baht a month (again depending on years experience, industry etc etc).

They aren't the most worked people in the world....but I think it's fair to say they do spend a lot of time away from the home. And that's the point the OP was making.

being at work and working is not the same... social interaction is the key word, not WORKING ... long lunches and breaks also count as work ?

That was what I was wondering if the lunch break was included in the 9 hour and 15 minutes.

At a educated guess I would say that coffee or tea breaks were included in that time.

I wonder what their average commute time to is. For my way of thinking that could be a huge problem given the road conditions in Bangkok.

It's not the hours you put in, it's what you put in the hours that's important. rolleyes.gif

First, we need to work with quality not quantity. I also work long day almost 13 hours per day.

I found one thing that Thai people doesn't know how to manage the time. Someday you work a lot but someday you get lazy and not 100% with your work in that day, then you need to work late and continue that work in the next day. Always like that.

If we manage our job everyday, we will work less hours. biggrin.png

I know because I'm Thai. Ha Ha

Well stated folks! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

The same applies to that "Western World" also....

Edited by sunshine51

I am acquainted with the working hours of (mostly women) workers at the food court of a large department store, where they normally have two days (or less) off per month, and typically begin work about 7 a.m., one going home early in the day (4 or 5 p.m.) the other working until 8 or 9 p.m. until closing and clean-up. That's a lot of work, and for wages well below the suggested 300 baht per day minimum wage. So, that's a 6 1/2 day work week on average, with an average 60 hour work week. Sounds like more than the Bangkok women are working, and probably very typical in many parts of Thailand. I guess they don't need to earn much because they have so little time to spend anything.

So...now we know where you like to hang out! coffee1.gif

I did read 'nine hours', right? So what's wrong with that? I was expecting to read 12 hours. I'll get slated for this, but most Thais (generally) do not push themselves and have two-three people doing a one-man job. Sorry, guys, but if you want the high life and to drag your country out of third world status (whistling.gif), one needs to work ones ass off.

That's 9 hours a day 7 days a week, which is 63 hours a week, plus Bangkok Traffic. Just wonder now how many more hours a week did your mother have to work her ass off in your country? That is of course unless you were lucky enough to have a Government Job, and only wokred 5 days a week, which including these women is probably how they were able to bring the daily average down from 12 hours to 9 hours.

Is it really a question of laziness? Put yourself in a low paying job, with long hours, no yearly paid vacation, long hours seven days a week, no chance for promotion or changing things, unless you are related to the boss or sleep with him, and see how fired up you would be to go to work each day to do a good job.

I actually wonder why they need to work so long hours, because whatever business I walk into I can notice that they have at least double the amount of employees as they would have in the western world to perform the same job.

Agree.

In all department stores there are always two people where you would expect one.

Same in many restaurants, where sometimes you 3-4 people standing around doing nothing.

Same in food stalls where they put two people where one could obviously do the job.

My wife who is Thai , worked 15 Hours a day in a factory, sleeping there all week, returning home on a Saturday for 6200baht a Month, not by choice, As a female You are classed as old at 35 in Thailand, so you have to take what you can , and the Thai government know this.