European Leaders Express Satisfaction With Thailand's Democracy, Economy

webfact

European leaders express satisfaction with Thailand's democracy, economy

By Digital Media

dem.jpeg

VIENTIANE, Nov 6 – Several European leaders said they are satisfied with and praised Thailand's democratic system as well as its efficient economic strategy.

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Monday met in bilateral talks on the sidelines of the 9th ASEM Summit in the Lao PDR with her counterparts from Norway, Italy, and Poland.

Apart from praise, the three leaders said they will expand trade and investment cooperation for further benefit.

Thailand will boost its ties with Norway, with the Thai premier inviting Norwegians to invest and travel more in Thailand. Ms Yingluck was informed by her Norwegian counterpart Jens Stoltenberg that the Thai political panorama, economy, and the government's water management plan created confidence to Norway.

Other matters included exchanging ideas on creative economy, alternative fuel, health care, and a tripartite cooperation among Thailand, Myanmar, and Norway. Norway agreed to increase its investment in Thailand from its Government Pension Fund Global and will continue to maintain this investment.

The two countries also agreed to new talks on a possible Thailand-European Free Trade Association (EFTA) agreement, which was suspended in 2006.

On her discussion with Italian premier Mario Monti, Ms Yingluck said Thailand and Italy will collaborate on economic growth and employment through trade and investment. Mr Monti praised Thailand for its efficient economic growth despite the ongoing eurozone debt crisis. Ms Yingluck said that Thai economic policies support trade and investment expansion from Italy, for Thailand has strong economic fundamentals.

Meanwhile, Mr Yingluck and her Polish counterpart Donald Tusk agreed to organise more high-level official visits for closer ties. The Thai premier said Poland is a distribution base for Thai goods in Central and Eastern Europe and that both countries are each other's gateway between their regions.

Thailand and Poland also agreed to expand tourism, trade and investment, education, and engineering as well as military training activities. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-11-06

• Like 1

I can;t help thinking that all the people mentioned in the report neeed psychiatric help. Surely they don't believe all the BS that they were part of. Most of it belongs up there with 'this is my last territorial acquisition in Europe'.

• Like 2

Truly a laugh a minute.

"Your country is on the road to a true democracy and you have one of the best economic plans i have ever seen, which country are you from sorry I forgot".

I'm from Thailand.

• Like 1

Truly a laugh a minute.

"Your country is on the road to a true democracy and you have one of the best economic plans i have ever seen, which country are you from sorry I forgot".

I'm from Thailand.

็ Have you ever paid corruption money to get where YOU are now ?

Truly a laugh a minute.

I'm from Thailand.

็ Have you ever paid corruption money to get where YOU are now ?

Absolutely not. I have started an anti corruption campaign in Thailand. Anyone caught violating my and my brother's corruption principles will have to answer to DPM Super Charlem and could possibly be shot on site.

• Like 1

The European leaders don't know that until the constitution has been re-written and until Thaksin is cleared of all its crimes Thailand has no REAL democracy?

And after that is accomplished, Thailand will become a dictatorship.

It pretty much already is. He dictates and the Govt responds... with the Red Army's backing...

Edited by asiawatcher

Didn't the EU bosses at Goldman Sachs sack and then appoint governments in Greece before and Italy at the moment? Isn't the EU run by unelected bureaucrats? Yes, can see they know a thing or two about Democracy, must have really loved the appointed Senate. Guess Thailand certainly does have a lot in common, governments of the world, one big happy theiving family.

• Like 1

The European leaders don't know that until the constitution has been re-written and until Thaksin is cleared of all its crimes Thailand has no REAL democracy?

And after that is accomplished, Thailand will become a dictatorship.

It pretty much already is. He dictates and the Govt responds... with the Red Army's backing...

Yeah, things will be soooooo much better with any other party leading!

The Democrats...the beacon of hope, humanity and democracy in Thailand.

Or even better: back to a coup and a military junta, backed by semi- fascist Yellows and "Protect Siam".

That would all change Thailand into ...what again? In your opinion?

Oh yeah, right! A better democracy with a better government than now.

Sure!

And they lived happily ever after!

• Like 2

One post in support upto now. Well make mine 2. The eager to post dissenters on here that jump on every positive Yingluck thread are a tad tedious. European politicians do not spend there time getting opinions from a forum and second rate newspapers. For once if you dont agree with a news article say something constructive not derogatory recycled opinions and anti devil (Thaksin is the bogey man call the army out). Failing that take your head for a d..p

• Like 1

One post in support upto now. Well make mine 2. The eager to post dissenters on here that jump on every positive Yingluck thread are a tad tedious. European politicians do not spend there time getting opinions from a forum and second rate newspapers. For once if you dont agree with a news article say something constructive not derogatory recycled opinions and anti devil (Thaksin is the bogey man call the army out). Failing that take your head for a d..p

So a country run on corruption is OK ?

So this country was not corrupt before the last election. Head for a wobble please

• Like 1

Any constitution compiled under a military junta should be changed at the earliest possible time. Under the constitution they rewrote they absolved themselves of treason. Why is it that the dissenters keeping posting that the charter change is just about Thaksin getting off. I am sure there is other parts that are to be re writ that may cause worrying times for some people

• Like 1

Didn't the EU bosses at Goldman Sachs sack and then appoint governments in Greece before and Italy at the moment? Isn't the EU run by unelected bureaucrats? Yes, can see they know a thing or two about Democracy, must have really loved the appointed Senate. Guess Thailand certainly does have a lot in common, governments of the world, one big happy theiving family.

No the EU isn't run by unelected bureaucrats. It's run by several bodies made up of people from the member states. The legislature is in two parts. The European Parliament is voted for by EU citizens (if they can be bothered) and the Council of the European Union or Council of Ministers which consists of a government minister from each member state.

Obviously not everyone working in EU system is voted for any more than any civil servant in any country is voted for but the control is from elected members. It has to be said however that the efficiency of the system does need looking at urgently.

The two countries also agreed to new talks on a possible Thailand-European Free Trade Association (EFTA) agreement, which was suspended in 2006.

Was this because the EU did not do deals with juntas or was it the junta trying to keep the status quo by not opening up Thailand. It was not resurrected under the cobbled together army inspired, offer you cant refuse to form a coalition government under Abhisit rule. One would think the dems and the army have the same paymaster...Oooops

So this country was not corrupt before the last election. Head for a wobble please

oooooooooooop's, think we are talking about NOW and EU saying NOW LOS is great.

Noooooo head wobble here. WHEN corruption from top to bottom ends l will wobble my head for you. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1