Rampant & Blatant Drug Use Among Farangs

HardenedSoul

@Chittychangchang

Im a firm believer that anyone should be able to do his drug of choice as long as he or she is not hurting or endangering anyone else but him or herself.

Addiction is something your susceptible for or not, some people turn into alcoholics some turn into junkies. But that does not mean that it should be forbidden for all.

But a gym addiction is not a real bad one better as the other addictions.

It's where you draw the line, that is the question

ie: Legal age for smoking and drinking

Children smoking cannabis at school when they are young and impressionable, leading to harder drugs and/or mental health problems later in life. The laws i believe should be stronger on drugs, i also believe tobacco should be banned as well. As for alcohol it's fine in moderation but not a drug. That comes back to the addictive personality trait of the alcoholic.

BTW the Zone is the healthy natural option and can be a positive addiction.thumbsup.gif

Edited by Chittychangchang

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why point out that foreigners are doing it? It is rampant with Thais too,

I think there are many foreigners that are paranoid about drugs here. The fines are much here than where I come from(Scotland) for possession, not dealing. Plus, you can usually pay before going to court.

I think there are many foreigners that are paranoid about drugs here. The fines are much here than where I come from(Scotland) for possession, not dealing. Plus, you can usually pay before going to court.

I think it's perfectly reasonable if people say they don't want to get into trouble and it's not worth it or whatever. It's also perfectly reasonable if people don't like illegal drugs and/or breaking the law. But I'm always amused at the people who get all dramatic and talk about somebody smoking weed or doing some lines facing the 'draconian drug laws of Thailand' etc. Some people even talk about facing the death penalty.

It's as you say: even by law the penalties aren't that extreme for people who aren't dealing and it would be a very rare instance indeed where one wasn't able to pay the "fine" without any accompanying paperwork or court appearances. (And I too know of instances where the confiscated substance was returned).

Take it from someone who was a teenager in Thailand; returning the stash after an on-the-spot fine is standard practise.

Edited by Trembly

I don't think anyone is suggesting 8 year olds chase the dragon on here.

Personally, I don't need a government telling me what I can eat, drink or smoke.

Nice attitude, talk is cheap.

Why dont you arrange a "smoke in" down at Lumpini Park, then you can tell the judge what you think of Thailand and its laws.

Personally, I don't need a government telling me what I can eat, drink or smoke.

Why dont you arrange a "smoke in" down at Lumpini Park, then you can tell the judge what you think of Thailand and its laws.

I don't take drugs or drink anymore. Doesn't mean I have to agree with the laws. As for your idea for what I should do. A bit of a childish response, don't you think?

I don't take drugs or drink anymore. Doesn't mean I have to agree with the laws. As for your idea for what I should do. A bit of a childish response, don't you think?

You made the statements,

"I don't need a government telling me what I can eat, drink or smoke"

"Doesn't mean I have to agree with the laws"

If you dont agree with the laws and dont need a gov't to tell you what to do, my question is, what are you doing about it.

You made the statements,

"I don't need a government telling me what I can eat, drink or smoke"

"Doesn't mean I have to agree with the laws"

If you dont agree with the laws and dont need a gov't to tell you what to do, my question is, what are you doing about it.

Absolutely nothing. I don't feel the need to take a stand. However, if I want to take something that is illegal I will. And before you ask, I will take the consequences that go with it should I be caught.

Responding to an earlier post about how alcoholics are a better class of drug user because they don't rob and steal : some alcoholics do steal and rob to get their fix, yes, even from their families. If you were to say that you've never heard of such a case then you are probably a liar.

Coming up with a special name for addiction or habitual use of a certain drug doesn't change the fact that it is drug use.

yes true im not saying that alchos dont steal rob ext but you are more than likely to get robbed by a junkie than a drunk,drunks get drunk pass out junkies are far more dangerous on a high bouncing of walls add syndrome who would you trust a harmless drunk or a junkie just saying?? i did state that alcohol and ciggys are the 2 most deadly and dangerous drugs out there,and have there different social problems but anyone hooked on hard drugs are a lot more dangerous than the average drunk.

yes true im not saying that alchos dont steal rob ext but you are more than likely to get robbed by a junkie than a drunk,drunks get drunk pass out junkies are far more dangerous on a high bouncing of walls add syndrome who would you trust a harmless drunk or a junkie just saying?? i did state that alcohol and ciggys are the 2 most deadly and dangerous drugs out there,and have there different social problems but anyone hooked on hard drugs are a lot more dangerous than the average drunk.

I don't understand how you haven't absorbed the fact that what you're talking about is true only because of the prohibition factor. If these other drugs were legal like alcohol then they would be cheap like alcohol, in some cases much cheaper, and then those addicted to drugs other than alcohol would also not need to resort to crime to get their fix.

And the violent crime and corruption of the distribution networks would be gone.

Treating it as a medical problem, even supplying it for free and providing food and shelter to the addicts would be a tiny fraction of the costs spent on prisons and other "war on drugs" tactics, which aren't working anyway.

• Like 1

I don't understand how you haven't absorbed the fact that what you're talking about is true only because of the prohibition factor. If these other drugs were legal like alcohol then they would be cheap like alcohol, in some cases much cheaper, and then those addicted to drugs other than alcohol would also not need to resort to crime to get their fix.

And the violent crime and corruption of the distribution networks would be gone.

Treating it as a medical problem, even supplying it for free and providing food and shelter to the addicts would be a tiny fraction of the costs spent on prisons and other "war on drugs" tactics, which aren't working anyway.

Agree, but obviously drunk people actions are more predictable, thus easier to control.wink.png

Agree, but obviously drunk people actions are more predictable, thus easier to control.

Uppers, hallucinogens, PCP et al sure, but I'm sure everyone here's come across wildly unpredictable and very violent behaviour caused exacerbated by alcohol.

Opiates, not so much pretty harmless. . .

Agree, but obviously drunk people actions are more predictable, thus easier to control.

Uppers, hallucinogens, PCP et al sure, but I'm sure everyone here's come across wildly unpredictable and very violent behaviour caused exacerbated by alcohol.

No. Sure I've come across drink-fuelled fights, but nothing particularly untoward. I guess I'm lucky to have led a sheltered life. I've really never seen the violence in the UK that people on this forum go on about.

SC

No. Sure I've come across drink-fuelled fights, but nothing particularly untoward. I guess I'm lucky to have led a sheltered life. I've really never seen the violence in the UK that people on this forum go on about.

SC

Go to A and E on a Friday or Saturday night in any big town in the UK. It will open your eyes. Alcohol brings out much more violence than drugs such as coke, e, cannabis, amphetamine, etc. I admit I know very little about the lessor used drugs like pcp, etc.

Absolutely nothing. I don't feel the need to take a stand. However, if I want to take something that is illegal I will. And before you ask, I will take the consequences that go with it should I be caught.

Fairy snuff, no offence intented, been there done that.

My gripe was with some of the stuck up snotty nosed brats that have been on here boasting and bragging about how they can get away with whatever they want because "daddy" drives a car with green plates.

SC

Well. alcohol, like other drugs can exacerbate bad traits in people's personalities, it seems for the governments though, an alcoholic populace is preferable in comparison.

Lucky indeed. Many battered women and children worldwide have another tale to tell.

Well. alcohol, like other drugs can exacerbate bad traits in people's personalities, it seems for the governments though, an alcoholic populace is preferable in comparison.

Maybe governments prefer to let the drinkers be but lock up huge portions of certain segments of the population that tend to take the other stuff.

My gripe was with some of the stuck up snotty nosed brats that have been on here boasting and bragging about how they can get away with whatever they want because "daddy" drives a car with green plates.

I haven't noticed that here, are these posts in another forum?

Lucky indeed. Many battered women and children worldwide have another tale to tell.

Worked in bars for a few years and went clubbing almost nightly during other periods: I've seen lots and lots of truly awful behavior -- from extreme violence to all manner of ugliness -- that almost certainly wouldn't have happened without the person or people involved being under the influence of alcohol. No doubt if there were a greater prevalence of certain other drugs being abused by people in bars in addition to or instead of alcohol, there'd be quite a few incidents of awful behavior caused by them too.

But at the risk of sounding like one of those ridiculous people who are missionaries for certain substances, it has to be said -- you won't see a cannabis user getting aggressive and ugly because he's stoned.

• Like 2

Maybe governments prefer to let the drinkers be but lock up huge portions of certain segments of the population that tend to take the other stuff.

Big Boy, I honestly cant remember where the forum was, but yes some of these stuck up <deleted> have been on here boasting and bragging, the stories I could mention about certain schools, well you know how it is etc etc.......

Last Year had a Thai woman phone the house and want to know what to do about the "weed" she had found in her 15 year old sons bedroom (this stuck up <deleted> attends one of the premier schools in the Pattaya region), I told her flush it down the dunny.

Big Boy, I honestly cant remember where the forum was, but yes some of these stuck up <deleted> have been on here boasting and bragging, the stories I could mention about certain schools, well you know how it is etc etc.......

Last Year had a Thai woman phone the house and want to know what to do about the "weed" she had found in her 15 year old sons bedroom (this stuck up <deleted> attends one of the premier schools in the Pattaya region), I told her flush it down the dunny.

She couldn't figure that out herself?

She couldn't figure that out herself?

Mair ben kon bannork mai reu ruang.

Sorry for the pathetic attempt at transliretation, but not alloweded to post Thai fonts here.

Wasn't so pathetic: easy to understand. Still I'm surprised that if she was alarmed enough to call you because she found weed, and presumably didn't want her son to have it, she couldn't work out that she should dispose of it. Even if she is country folk who has no idea about such things...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe

Even if she is country folk who has no idea about such things...

It's the country folk who are most familiar with ganja, not a city kid's drug outside of farang circles, kind of like talking moonshine to someone from St Louis.

I'm inclined to agree but I'm not the one who made the claim (and I'm not going to call him a liar).

Worked in bars for a few years and went clubbing almost nightly during other periods: I've seen lots and lots of truly awful behavior -- from extreme violence to all manner of ugliness -- that almost certainly wouldn't have happened without the person or people involved being under the influence of alcohol. No doubt if there were a greater prevalence of certain other drugs being abused by people in bars in addition to or instead of alcohol, there'd be quite a few incidents of awful behavior caused by them too.

But at the risk of sounding like one of those ridiculous people who are missionaries for certain substances, it has to be said -- you won't see a cannabis user getting aggressive and ugly because he's stoned.

The agressive ugly side of drugs doesn't rare it's head until the user develops drug induced psychosis or runs out of money and is desperate for their next fix! Edited by Chittychangchang
  • Like 1

Even if she is country folk who has no idea about such things...

It's the country folk who are most familiar with ganja, not a city kid's drug outside of farang circles, kind of like talking moonshine to someone from St Louis.

I'm inclined to agree but I'm not the one who made the claim (and I'm not going to call him a liar).

Had forgotten about this thread.

BJBKK, we aint talking about Kansas now, we are talking about a Thai woman living in Pattaya with her son, the husband is working overseas.

It was more a case of the woman being in a state of shock, panic and disbelief, also fear of the consequnces.

The woman has no family or friends in Pattaya and in a state of desperation turned to me, I know her and her family.

As for country folk being familiar with ganja I really cant comment on Thai (up)country folk and their experience, I will bow to your superior knowledege.

When people have gone to the point of using drugs every day the days after their drug of choice becomes unavailable for whatever reason are often a filled with displays of hostility to anyone or anything.

Edited by metisdead
: Font resized again. Use the default forum font when posting: Arial size 14.