Negativity About English Teachers In Thailand On Here?

Chittychangchang

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that is the problem, and IMNSHO only a teacher with full command of both a language the student understand, and the language the student want to learn,

have the potential of being a good teacher

Nonsense. When teaching a language you only use the language being taught.

If only in the language being taught how on earth can a novice student ask a question? they can't can they which is quite a problem. The best English teaching in Bkk is at AUA, just judging by the results

Now I know you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

What results ? Students go to AUA as it the cheapest. Nothing near the likes of the british council.

AUA used to teach Thai without any English as do the best ones like Union or Unity, where all the missionaries learn.

I'm enjoying this thread but it seems to contain a lot of posts where non-teachers are lecturing to active teachers on how we should teach . Is it me or isn't that a bit daft?

Since when has being daft ever stopped someone from mouthing off?

And I think it highlights the problem pointed out by the OP.

Like us teetotalers going on about drinking 8-)

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

I'm enjoying this thread but it seems to contain a lot of posts where non-teachers are lecturing to active teachers on how we should teach .

Is it me or isn't that a bit daft?

Not as funny as the young guys lecturing the old guys about the joys of sex with a young Thai woman.biggrin.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

I'm enjoying this thread but it seems to contain a lot of posts where non-teachers are lecturing to active teachers on how we should teach .

Altho i did some minor teaching,

my aversion to monolingual teachers stem from my experience as a student.

Going from a teacher that could explain my nosy questions in a language i could appreciate in great detail, (more than i even asked for with noun etc)

and then replaced with teachers that at best could hold up a pen and say 'ni alai'# <deleted> ?

the incompetent teachers couldn't explain squat, best they could do was the

'repeat after me even tho you have no clue, and i have no clue how to explain either' junk

# ni alai = whats this, in case you're monolingual

Edited by poanoi

A serious question to the Teachers here ... what style of English do you teach?

What does the curriculum dictate?

The American style or the English style?

No so much the potato/tomato debate, but more the way a date is written.

For example the 11th September, that famous day ... 9/11/**** in Thailand is taught as 11/09/**** ??

Spelling of worlds such as colour/color, neighbour/neighbor etc.

Is it the curriculum or the teacher who decides?

Personally I teach ENGLISH, so all spelling, dates, etc. are taught in English format. smile.png

Edited by Grumbles

Going from a teacher that could explain my nosy questions in a language i could appreciate in great detail, (more than i even asked for with noun etc)

and then replaced with teachers that at best could hold up a pen and say 'ni alai' <deleted> ?

'repeat after me even tho you have no clue, and i have no clue how to explain either' junk

Pretty stridently expressed opinions stated as universal truths, given the basis for your conclusions don't you think?

Perhaps if you started with "in my opinion", or "my preference", or "based on my experience as a student in my later years" then the validity of your statements might be more widely accepted.

I taught a year in Korea a decade+ ago, maybe teach next year or year after if I can sort all the paperwork out and find a job that pays decently. That's why I pop into the teaching forum myself.

In the end, you simply need someone that can pronounce the vocabulary correctly. You're sort of on your own after that. If your teachers vocab sucks + your vocab compounds that...

You're gonna have a bad day.

Edited by bangkokburning

In the end, you simply need someone that can pronounce the vocabulary correctly. You're sort of on your own after that.

I think my students struggling to get a 6.5 on their IELTS in order to pursue their doctorates at unis overseas may take issue with that approach, especially when working on the written essay components.

• Like 2

a restaurant owner told me he dont like backpackers and teachers. btw he seems to be offended at me for ordering a promotion meal with just mineral water instead of the typical sugary beverages or alcohol and he is assuming me to be either a backpacker or a teacher. eventually i got really pissed off and did a stupid move by giving him a 1000 baht note for a 200 baht meal and asked him to keep the change

showed him

What a joke. I would have punched a guy like that in the face if I was in that situation. No, I'm not a teacher (although I was some years back) but as a restaurant patron, I have every right to order whatever the hell I want. The guy should be lucky that he even gets any customers at all with his surly, backwards discriminatory attitude.

And I don't think I need to explain that drinking water, which is the best thing we as humans can drink is one sure way of living healthier and longer, rather than succumbing to diabetes, heart disease, stroke and dementia, all of which a high fat, sugary diet can contribute to.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Personally I teach ENGLISH, so all spelling, dates, etc. are taught in English.

I prefer to teach the ISO standards, today it is 2012-11-08, or if you want to be really accurate 2012-11-08T17:58+7

The good thing is that we can teach things like this differently. IMHO a good teacher would explain which format they want their students to use in their class, but explain the other formats.

BTW if one of my students were to use a different format, I wouldn't be overly upset as long as they got the date right.

In ESL the most important point is for the students to be able to communicate effectively in the target language.

The rest of the BS is all about some people's overblown egos.

• Like 1

a restaurant owner told me he dont like backpackers and teachers. btw he seems to be offended at me for ordering a promotion meal with just mineral water instead of the typical sugary beverages or alcohol and he is assuming me to be either a backpacker or a teacher. eventually i got really pissed off and did a stupid move by giving him a 1000 baht note for a 200 baht meal and asked him to keep the change

showed him

What a joke. I would have punched a guy like that in the face if I was in that situation. No, I'm not a teacher (although I was some years back) but as a restaurant patron, I have every right to order whatever the hell I want. The guy should be lucky that he even gets any customers at all with his surly, backwards discriminatory attitude.

And I don't think I need to explain that drinking water, which is the best thing we as humans can drink is one sure way of living healthier and longer, rather than succumbing to diabetes, heart disease, stroke and dementia, all of which a high fat, sugary diet can contribute to.

You don't have any rights as a restaurant patron at all. If I don't like you I'll tell you to get out of my restaurant.smile.png I feed the cops for free. What do you think is going to happen? biggrin.png

• Like 1

and then replaced with teachers that at best could hold up a pen and say 'ni alai'# <deleted> ?

Poanoi - what is your first language and what language did you learn?

Sorry but it's not obvious from your posts in this thread.

As I mentioned before my verbal Thai is ok - I've spoken and listened to the language for 24 years - reading writing Thai ?....let's not go there :)

I taught a few classes today - M3 - and managed to get the principle of Opposites/Comparatives and Superlatives across without using L1 once.

Perhaps when teaching threshold students, the use of L1 is more necessary.

I don't really want to get into this too much but I can't resist commenting on the idea that a bilingual teacher ia necessary as it defies both common sense and my experience

To clarify: I don't mean to say that the student's original language should never be used or could never be helpful. But it's self-evidently false that it's required

It isn't entirely necessary to have any teacher at all, if there is interest & time.

And i think a 'teacher' that can't actually explain anything that i can comprehend is about as useful as having no teacher at all, i may as well buy a dictionary and ask my gf to hold up a pen, i'll work it out later rather than sooner.

Edited by poanoi

In the end, you simply need someone that can pronounce the vocabulary correctly. You're sort of on your own after that.

I think my students struggling to get a 6.5 on their IELTS in order to pursue their doctorates at unis overseas may take issue with that approach, especially when working on the written essay components.

I bet many of the posters here couldn't get a 6.5 on the IELTS test.

• Like 1

It isn't entirely necessary to have any teacher at all, if there is interest & time.

And i think a 'teacher' that can't actually explain anything that i can comprehend is about as useful as having no teacher at all, i may as well buy a dictionary and ask my gf to hold up a pen, i'll work it out later rather than sooner.

Sorry what's a translation book?

M

You mean like this?

ChiangMaiKelly!

This is a disgrace to the Thai people!

'Ai lie dis sa-tai'

This is not the Thai culture!

M

You mean like this?

ChiangMaiKelly!

'Ai lie dis sa-tai'

Don't know about culture but it's 10% of the GDP.

• Like 2

M

You mean like this?

ChiangMaiKelly!

'Ai lie dis sa-tai'

Why? Don't thai boys and girls do 69!!!!!

sent from my Q6

Lol ya'll have me in stitches biggrin.png

On another note, I enjoyed SteeleJoe's post. That's why it's a great to get them while they're young, because after a while the conditioning kicks in and attempts to take in another language become difficult.

Edited by hookedondhamma

That's why it's a great to get them while they're young, because after a while the conditioning kicks in and attempts to take in another language become difficult.

Huh? Oh, language learning, yep, that's right, well you did preface with on another note. . .

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK
  • Like 1