Is Phnom Penh Still Issuing Non Imm Ed Visas?

Hey guys. I can't find much recent info on using the Phnom Penh consulate for getting a Non-Imm visa. The most recent thread seems to be this one:

but it's still a year old.

The current visa availability sticky says it's still a go, but the latest report of getting a visa in the region (Maestro's post: ) is from 2009.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask here in case anyone has been recently:

Can a Non-Imm ED visa be obtained easily in Phnom Penh? How many days does it take? (I thought the standard was drop it off in the morning, pick it up in the afternoon the next day, but some of these threads suggest that it could take 3 days.)

Also, if you fly in, it is straightforward to buy the cambodian visa at the airport? You don't need to apply over here in advance, do you?

Sorry, it's been a long time since I've done this. Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

ED is possible but normal processing time is 3 or 4 days unless you use an agent which of course costs more.

You might consider a different embassy or consulate to get your visa. Vientiane or Savannkhet Laos. Nok Air has bus service after arriving in Udon Thani to the bridge in Nong Kai now and then taxi into Vientiane is one option. Same from Nakon Phanom to the bridge in Mukahan for Savannkehet.

You can get a visa on arrival at the airport in PP.

Thanks guys. I just got turned away at the Nong-Khai - Vientiene border, so exploring other options. I have a rather strange situation, but I think it might well be an issue with Laos being stricter than other neighboring countries. At this point I'm thinking my best bet is to fly into somewhere, so I thought of Cambodia.

I don't know much about Burma or Vietnam, though I did use Malaysia (Penang) many years ago. At this point it's just a matter of trying not to spend too much in travel costs, and go somewhere it's considered rather straightforward (read: easy) to get a visa.

The issue, in case anyone is interested, is that my passport picture shows me as a monk (i was ordained for several years). I guess for the Laos officers at that border, that's unacceptable, as the picture and the person don't "match". In fact I didn't even get that far, as the Thai officers assured me it wouldn't work, and they wanted to save us all the trouble of me being stuck in the no-man's land between countries. I speak Thai fluently, so there was no issue with misunderstandings, that i'm sure of. They just said that they'd had this issue before and there was no way the Laos guys would let me in.

As I don't have time to do a new passport before the visa runs out, I'm trying to decide where to fly into (not Laos). Right now I'm leaning towards Cambodia, but open to suggestions.

Cheers.

Mario, do you see this as an issue I could encounter elsewhere? I really have no idea, but it does worry me a little. The only experience I have with it is when I flew back to the States, and then coming back into Thailand. My hope is that somewhere like Cambodia--especially at the airport--is unlikely to see it as a problem.

Well, that's what's so frustrating about it. I do look somewhat similar--much more similar than i would if I had a beard in my passport photo, say--but the Laos immigration guys are hung up on the monk's robe which you can see one my shoulders. It's obviously not something that can be questioned with logic though--it's one of those things where they've decided this is unacceptable. I talked to a guy at one of the tour agencies in Nong Khai who said he had seen Thai people denied entry before for the same reason.

At any rate, I've shaved my head again to look somewhat closer to what I look like in the picture. Maybe that will help wherever I decide to go, though I'm hoping that other countries just don't see it as an issue. Like I said, neither the US or Thailand had any problem, so it may just be a hang up specific to Laos.

I will look into Malaysia. I live in Chiang Mai, so increased distance seems to make things more expensive. Though maybe it's marginal compared to going to Phnom Penh. Previously I wasn't aware that it took 4 days to get things processed there.

Thanks.

Laos probably has problems with the monks robe and not wiht your likeness of the photo.

Never seen this problem, so can't tell how other neighbouring countries will respond. The reason I suggest Malaysia is that it is a Muslim country and it will probaly be less problomatic there.

That doesn't make sense to me, I'm afraid. You would think that Laos, being a Buddhist country, would have less problems with the Buddhist robes. The idea that a Muslim country would be more helpful on the same account is not immediately intuitive to me.

Anyway, I'm not surprised you haven't seen this problem before. I just talked to the US consulate in BKK and they said it doesn't come up often. They suggested I get a temp. passport issued since I don't have time to wait for a real one.

kl is a 2 day turn around for ed visa,

u put it in Monday morn, pick it up Tuesday afternoon

as long as u have the correct paperwork

if i were u i would just fly anywhere and fly back and get 30 days and apply for a new passport than go for ur non immigrant visa

• 3 weeks later...

its much easier to use any agent in town to get ur thai visa, they only charge like $5 an you than don t need take 4 tuk tuk rides and wait in line twice.

Worth it. and if u need it faster am sure an agent ( for a price) get it faster

all agents on riverside will do it for you. I use the agent at the Hometown hotel on street 172 where i stay for all my visas and extensions.

Edited by phuketrichard