Where Can I Buy Books On Samui?

Hi fellas.

It's fallen to me to do a survey of book shops and other sources, new and used, around the island.

Obviously there is Bookazine - but I'm not too sure where they have branches - anyone know? Any other book sellers?

And then there are the used book shops, which seem to come and go like a kahtoey's bra . . . erm . . . but you know what I mean. (I hope.)

If you good folks out there can let me know where there's some Chaweng guest houses which have/has a book-swap attached, or if you've come across a place doing books as well as motorbikes, can you tip me the wink?

(And - quite aside - if anyone is interested in doing some kind of online e-book exchange, let me know too. A PM might be a good idea here . . .)

And this is supposed to say are there any Russian bookshops on the island -

Есть ли какие-либо российских магазинов на Самуи?

Ta muchly

penguins to all,

penguin-002.gif

R

Edited by robsamui

Not sure if it's still there, but there used to be a book shop .... umm somewhere between Soi 2 and Soi 4 (Traffic lights Maenam) on the left side, headed toward Nathon. Rob.

Seed book shop in Tesco Chawang... .. Isn't Bookazine just out side the front entrance to Tesco too? Behind 3 BB and the Beauty clinic.... you might want to stop there first! biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

Not sure if it's still there, but there used to be a book shop .... umm somewhere between Soi 2 and Soi 4 (Traffic lights Maenam) on the left side, headed toward Nathon. Rob.

Seed book shop in Tesco Chawang... .. Isn't Bookazine just out side the front entrance to Tesco too? Behind 3 BB and the Beauty clinic.... you might want to stop there first! biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

Would I be inclined to suggest that a silvery-haired pensioner go tickle his turnips?

Yes.

(Beauty what! Salon or saloon? Now a beauty saloon I might be interested in . . . )

Apart from the Bookazine in Chaweng Beach Road (where? where? ) this is the only one I know about - outside Tesco in Chaweng.

The Soi2/4 Mae Nam shop is defunct, I think.

But there is still what once was JIM'S bookshop in Nathon - now under different ownership.

Plus there is INK in Mae Nam Walking Street - owned by Dimitri and wife.

Any other intelligence (as they say) would be most welcome - present pensioners excepted . . .

Penguins!

penguin-013.gif

R

Edited by robsamui

Interesting stuff Rob.

Would I be inclined to suggest that a silvery-haired pensioner go tickle his turnips?

Yes.

(Beauty what! Salon or saloon? Now a beauty saloon I might be interested in . . . )

Should I move this to a special poetry thread.?

Obvious ones are

Bookazine - outside Tesco Lotus Chewang and next to Tropical Murphys.

Se-ed - inside Tesco Lotus (near the bagel place) and Big C near the fresh food end.

Less obvious and not sure, but the shop house next to Sweeney Todds old place if it is still open.

Seen books in Secret Garden

Loads at my place if anyone wants them.

Interesting stuff Rob.

Yes.

Oh - yes - please.

But can you line it with previous posts from Big C as a kicking-off point?

That's one guy I dream of playing Scrabble with. Err . . I mean . . nightmares . . .

Great place to start . . .

R

Edited by PoorSucker
edited quotes.
  • Like 1

Obvious ones are

Bookazine - outside Tesco Lotus Chewang and next to Tropical Murphys.

Se-ed - inside Tesco Lotus (near the bagel place) and Big C near the fresh food end.

Less obvious and not sure, but the shop house next to Sweeney Todds old place if it is still open.

Seen books in Secret Garden

Loads at my place if anyone wants them.

oooo.

Ta duck pengiun.

penguin-016.gif

R

There used to be a 2nd hand book shop just before you turn into lamai up a dirt track , owned by an English guy , not to sure if still there

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Yeah - the sign is still there as recall - I'll check it out.

Ta.

R

There used to be a 2nd hand book shop just before you turn into lamai up a dirt track , owned by an English guy , not to sure if still there

Island Books, Opp Buddies in Lamai, is still there.

Ta - gone on my list!

R

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

is it me or is there an echo ion this thread )

Interesting stuff Rob.

Yes.

Oh - yes - please.

But can you line it with previous posts from Big C as a kicking-off point?

That's one guy I dream of playing Scrabble with. Err . . I mean . . nightmares . . .

Great place to start . . .

R

i do have my own lanugage which is very simliar to english which is why u can understand partially what i say.

as for scrabble you cannot beat me at my own game.

• Like 1

what is the hidden objective to this survey are you going to open a shop. if you say non of my business then the answer is yes

i suppose with the internet now days there is less demand e for books. though i would like more english news and mens magaiznes at reasonablke prices.

even english auto bigraphiphys. other people form other countries probably like the same

i am not only interested in thai culture as i hjave been here for so long that i cannot remeber my own culture

there are quite a few book shops in nathong on the road opposit the amper heading towards the old pier

Yes.

Apart from the Bookazine in Chaweng Beach Road (where? where? ) this is the only one I know about - outside Tesco in Chaweng.

Any other intelligence (as they say) would be most welcome - present pensioners excepted . . .

Penguins!

penguin-013.gif

R

Opps had a big c moment there!!! ...

If you want a treatment with a beer wash go to a salon.... but perhaps you do need a Saloon! whistling.gifbiggrin.png .... and you leave my turnips alone! tongue.png

• Like 1

Yes.

Penguins!

penguin-013.gif

R

If you want a treatment with a beer wash go to a salon.... but perhaps you do need a Saloon! whistling.gifbiggrin.png .... and you leave my turnips alone! tongue.png

i was out of my nut last night. i had better check my posts and see if i still have friends on face book lol

Yes.

The Soi2/4 Mae Nam shop is defunct, I think.

But there is still what once was JIM'S bookshop in Nathon - now under different ownership.

Plus there is INK in Mae Nam Walking Street - owned by Dimitri and wife.

Any other intewlligence (as they say) would be most welcome - present pensioners excepted . . .

Penguins!

penguin-013.gif

R

here is an intewlligence ..... what about a book reading hair salon. people can read whiost waiting. also book reading foot massage.

The police have a book shop. You can do something bad they can even put you in their black book. how cool it that )

Yes.

Penguins!

penguin-013.gif

R

i was out of my nut last night. i had better check my posts and see if i still have friends on face book lol

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Only last night??? biggrin.pngtongue.png