New Project For Airport On Koh Phangan

Koh Phangan airport due in 2014

Getting to Koh Phangan will be a lot easier once the home of the world-renowned full-moon party is directly connected by air for the first time.

Construction of the first airport on Thailand’s fifth-largest island is gearing up, with entrepreneur Somphong Sooksanguan setting his sights on opening the facility by this time next year.

After spending 200 million baht of his own seed money to develop the country’s third privately owned airport, the 46-year-old businessman from Phatthalung province will seek external funding sources and joint-venture partners to expedite the project.

Although saying he could go solo on the venture, he reckons it would be good to have partners whose business concept is compatible with his sustainable business that does not place profitability on top.

Mr Somphong said he is prepared to offer a 30-40% stake in the Phangan airport project, whose ultimate cost was recently revised to 900 million baht, to partners, local, foreign or both, subject to negotiation.

Continued here:

http://kohphangannews.org/general-news/koh-phangan-airport-due-2014-1835.html

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May be someone should start a "Koh Phangan Airport" thread soon, coz all the previous and original will be deleted.....create bandwidth.

The old thread was not deleted but closed. Threads starting with Bangkok Post links are strictly not allowed (by Bkk Post) so we have to delete them.

And in the name of the easy reading and connection, better if everybody contribute in one thread and no clones. :-)

Seriously, this sucks.

KP airport is not needed.

The fun thing about getting to KP is taking the ferry boat from either Koh Samui or Suritanni.

That's part of the adventure.

Now, with this airport coming in, that means more people and commercial transportation trucks then the island it's lack of roads (that's one of KP charms) can accommodate. Sure, it's going to bring in lots of business, but at what cost?

Again another example of poor planning and greed.

The KPG airport threads started off discussing 2 different airports. They then started discussing just that particular airport. It makes no sense having 2 threads discussing the exact same thing, nothing to do with saving bandwidth & unfortunately I can't merge both topics.

• 2 weeks later...

In the newspaper my durian was wrapped in (think it was called "Southern" something - the newspaper, not the durian, which was a delicious Khadum Thong) a "Phangan local" was interviewed, apparently born & raised here... The interview was about tourism generally but he mentioned there's "very little news" from Kan Air's private airport so "the locals proposed a sea airport" to the powers that be in Khrung Thep. If it is the one proposed outside Ban Tai/Kai, I'd prefer that to Kan Air's...

Oddly, he also said the "main means of transportation to KPG" was speedboats from Samui. (That was provided as an explanation for why an airport was needed.) Really? I thought those were reserved for FMP...

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe this is happening. sad.png I came here after I read about it on Nathon City's Facebook expecting the usual "nah it's fake".

So what will this mean for us on Samui? I've always seen the FullMoon party goers as budget travelers not bothering with flights but happily going by trains and boats. Will Samui be seeing less of them now since everyone will go directly to KPG?

I can't believe this is happening. sad.png I came here after I read about it on Nathon City's Facebook expecting the usual "nah it's fake".

So what will this mean for us on Samui? I've always seen the FullMoon party goers as budget travelers not bothering with flights but happily going by trains and boats. Will Samui be seeing less of them now since everyone will go directly to KPG?

I doubt FPM is their target group, at best they'll have a few of the wealthiest flying in.

No, I think the main target group are the higher midrange-upper range tourists in places like Thong Nai Pan, especially TNP Noi. They pay 5,000+ baht for a night and certainly expect something better than the current setup - trains, buses and bumpy roads. I'd guess most of them currently arrive by air to Samui and catch a speedboat from there.

I'm not against them flying here. I'm against them flying to Than Sadet. The only place an airport should be built on KPG is Ban Tai/Kai, no one would even notice the noise/traffic, given the current noise/traffic levels there. They already have all the roads you can ask for and it's perfectly flat, ideal for an airport. The exact opposite of Than Sadet.

Than Sadet makes zero sense in any perspective (waaay out of way, pretty much the most out-of-the-way place on KPG, no infrastructure, no nothing except trees & jungle) except one - there'll be more exploitation there, concrete roads, upmarket resorts on Had Yao East, Had Yang (which are a stone's throw from Kan Air's airport) etc. I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 - 10 years' time, Had Yao East / Had Yang looked a lot like Thong Nai Pan today. Sadly. It's the best, most unspoilt coastal area that KPG has got left.

I'm busy enjoying it right now and if/when it comes to an end, maybe I'll move on.

This may come as a shock to some people living in 'paradise lost' but there are 5 * hotels on KPN now.

This will soon be followed by taxi scams, mini buses, poncy restaurants and 'an airport'!

Guests will be able to fly direct to the mainland and then take a short flight to KPN. Welcome to the New World.

This has to be better for them than xxx to BKK. Bkk to USM. USM by bus to the coast. Coast by boat to KPN. KPN by xxx to the resort.

Backpackers will still take the cheaper option of the 'old route'. A low %age will be going direct to KPN.

This may come as a shock to some people living in 'paradise lost' but there are 5 * hotels on KPN now.

This will soon be followed by taxi scams, mini buses, poncy restaurants and 'an airport'!

Guests will be able to fly direct to the mainland and then take a short flight to KPN. Welcome to the New World.

This has to be better for them than xxx to BKK. Bkk to USM. USM by bus to the coast. Coast by boat to KPN. KPN by xxx to the resort.

Backpackers will still take the cheaper option of the 'old route'. A low %age will be going direct to KPN.

Clearly I have been living in lost paradise and had no idea there are enough of the upper range tourists to justify the building of an airport! I have always thought of the island as a partygoer island with mainly unspoilt areas and not much else going on. I guess it's time to wake up from that dream. :)

Clearly I have been living in lost paradise and had no idea there are enough of the upper range tourists to justify the building of an airport! I have always thought of the island as a partygoer island with mainly unspoilt areas and not much else going on. I guess it's time to wake up from that dream. smile.png

Most beaches are pretty developed, AFAIK there's only one that has zero development and a few others with very little. Mae Haad is seeing quite a bit of construction going on... Will probably look like Had Yao (West) in a few years' time. There's even a proper supermarket now (Big C) with another (Makro) set to open soon. Tesco doesn't count...

Most beaches are pretty developed, AFAIK there's only one that has zero development and a few others with very little. Mae Haad is seeing quite a bit of construction going on... Will probably look like Had Yao (West) in a few years' time. There's even a proper supermarket now (Big C) with another (Makro) set to open soon. Tesco doesn't count...

Sorry AngThong - the development at Mae Haad is possibly my fault. whistling.gif

I have been telling people for years that I consider it to be the best spot on the island. clap2.gif

Enough places to eat/drink, quiet most of the time and close to some more deserted areas.smile.png

Sorry AngThong - the development at Mae Haad is possibly my fault. whistling.gif

I have been telling people for years that I consider it to be the best spot on the island. clap2.gif

Enough places to eat/drink, quiet most of the time and close to some more deserted areas.smile.png

Come on, it's one of the worst spots ever - rough sand, feet-cutting coral all over the place (but mostly dead so not much to see), nothing to do and full of mosquitoes. Why would anyone want to go there??? whistling.gif

Come on, it's one of the worst spots ever - rough sand, feet-cutting coral all over the place (but mostly dead so not much to see), nothing to do and full of mosquitoes. Why would anyone want to go there??? whistling.gif

Sorry have to disagree you Angtong, about it being "worse spot" ever.... yes the sand is a little coarse, but at least it's not as fine that it blows in your face, like it does up in Chaloklum ....I think Maehaad is one of the best beaches, on KP or Samui tongue.png

I just booked 10 people at I V who have been going to that beach for over 20 years..... (3 month stay)..... yes, it's changed, but since my first visit in 2005 the actual beach front has not change much.... it is what has been built behind that has changed, plus almost all concrete road to access the area .... and the place Mr Trop goes too wink.png .... the other thing I will say is that there are always "nice type people" who stay in the area!

This was the beach in 2005.... nothing much has changed along there... wink.png except the coral reef is in decline...sad.png

DSC03704.JPG

DSC03865.JPG

At least this mess got cleaned up...bah.gif .....right out side where Tropo stayswink.png

DSC03878.JPG

As far as the airport goes, I don't think it's going to attract most people who visit KP!

You are correct there is a number of 4 and 5 star hotels on KPN now, there are 4 on TNP Noi alone. Those 4 are large enough that their guests could full Kan Air's 2 flights a day by themselves (remember only 50 people per flight).

That % going direct will depend a lot on the cost of the Kan Air flights if they are the same as Bangkok Air I wouldn't expect many even for the 5* hotels as the flights will be from DMK instead of BKK, so the transfer from Samui to Phangan may be easier (5* pickup from the airport direct to speedboat no waiting around for ferries). On the other hand if they are only say 1000 baht each way more expensive than flying from Surat I imagine that a lot of people would trade 1000 baht to cut out the 4-5 hour trip from the mainland.

You might even see people staying on Samui use KPN airport to save money/time.

Anyway the place still has to be built yet and given that I have now seen two articles published 10 months apart both saying that the airport is 1 year way (from the date of publishing) I am not going to be holding my breath for the first flight. For those that didn't see the article that restarted this conversation in the paper which cannot be named, the article itself took up about 1/3 of the page with the rest an ad for VietJet Air (Kan Air's business partner).

Sorry have to disagree you Angtong, about it being "worse spot" ever.... yes the sand is a little coarse, but at least it's not as fine that it blows in your face, like it does up in Chaloklum ....I think Maehaad is one of the best beaches, on KP or Samui tongue.png

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy... You're as bad as Tropicalevo! :P

• 2 months later...

1500m runway on PhaNgan's proposed airport:

lU22V9Q.jpg

To put this into some perspective, Samui airport's runway is 40% longer at 2100m (measured from the tarmac ends).

The airport developer(s) will need to do some serious land-filling, as the terrain drops noticeably at both ends of the runway.

Aircraft approach would probably be safest over the sea (eastern end), as a western approach may entail considerable risk, a bumpy ride over PhaNgan's mountain range thermals (avoided by most flights to/from Samui). This eastern approach would cross the existing Bangkok-Samui flight path at right angles.

Crosswind turbulence from surrounding hilly terrain may also be a problem for light aircraft landing on this runway.

<Google Earth tour attached>

KPG Airport Tour-1.kmz

lU22V9Q.jpg

To put this into some perspective, Samui airport's runway is 40% longer at 2100m (measured from the tarmac ends).

The airport developer(s) will need to do some serious land-filling, as the terrain drops noticeably at both ends of the runway.

Aircraft approach would probably be safest over the sea (eastern end), as a western approach may entail considerable risk, a bumpy ride over PhaNgan's mountain range thermals (avoided by most flights to/from Samui). This eastern approach would cross the existing Bangkok-Samui flight path at right angles.

Crosswind turbulence from surrounding hilly terrain may also be a problem for light aircraft landing on this runway.

Jose, you are absolutely right, the terrain at this so called "airport" or airstrip requires landfilling if it is seriously going to be considered as a commercial airport.

If the developers do this then the effect on the local fauna and flora will be devastating.

Apart from the fact that the approach and departures will be bloody dangerous and will have to be visual only, there is the matter of putting in all of the equipment required to support the building and infrastructure. Roads to enable heavy traffic to build and support the project will need to be put in, Electricity, Terminal buildings etc etc.

All of this will totally destroy the local area and there will be "Mum n' Pop" shops springing up everywhere.

Aprat from ruining one of the most beautifulk spots on the island, In my opinion it will join the list as one of the most dangerous airports in the world.

Lastly the cynic in me says that the developers are in a "no lose" situation because if the airport doesn't work out there is everything in place to build luxury homes and Condos!

Jose, you are absolutely right, the terrain at this so called "airport" or airstrip requires landfilling if it is seriously going to be considered as a commercial airport.

If the developers do this then the effect on the local fauna and flora will be devastating.

Apart from the fact that the approach and departures will be bloody dangerous and will have to be visual only, there is the matter of putting in all of the equipment required to support the building and infrastructure. Roads to enable heavy traffic to build and support the project will need to be put in, Electricity, Terminal buildings etc etc.

All of this will totally destroy the local area and there will be "Mum n' Pop" shops springing up everywhere.

Aprat from ruining one of the most beautifulk spots on the island, In my opinion it will join the list as one of the most dangerous airports in the world.

Lastly the cynic in me says that the developers are in a "no lose" situation because if the airport doesn't work out there is everything in place to build luxury homes and Condos!

Totally agree, Gatorade - this project has everything stacked against it, specially due to the missing crucial infrastructure to support it. And as for the capital required to make it all work, the supporting numbers (tourist numbers) may not make economic sense.

My guess is that if/when it fails we'll find some sort of a luxury spa resort in its place, perhaps with a golf theme permeating the project - after all, golf courses require flatish land. And they could always add a runway to it sometime later, and name it something like... Don Muang II

lU22V9Q.jpg

Runway is proposed to be 1,100 meters long (NOT 1,500 meters)

Can you actually see the construction site from Than Sadet? I remember visiting Than Sadet a few weeks ago and watching a hilltop in that direction - it had been cleared from trees, but it seemed way too close to the beach to be the airport site. If it is where you've placed it on your map, maybe it was the site I saw. However the road to the airport site is from the opposite side (the same road you use to get to Had Yao East), isn't it?

The last time I was at the KP airstrip site about a year ago, I could clearly see Than Sadet from what's left of the seaside hill of the site. The closest part of the runway is just 1km from Than Sadet beach, and only about 500m to the sea shore below.

AT, the road to the airstrip site is the dirt track before Than Sadet - see map here.

Archived