New Project For Airport On Koh Phangan

in fact you only show one picture of baan tai, the rest are baan kai.

Well the boundary is some where around there tongue.png .... actually I named the pics Ban Kai... let's not knit pick too much !!!! rolleyes.gif

Since they were all taken within in 100 metres, except the shot from the water & that was coming into to the landing dock ....

So where is the boundary Baan Kai and Baan Tai? smile.png

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually most are Ban Tai, the coconuts are certainly in Ban Tai in Talad Mai as is the harbor.

Anyway, border between Ban Tai and Ban Kai, I've always taken it to be the sharp bend in the road just before the Masyid. Which is definitely Ban Kai. But tbh, not sure. its around there somewhere which should be good enough :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that link SamuiRes - interesting (if not a tad creative).

So - they report that the airport is under construction and could be complete by end 2013 - good for KPN

Personally, I cannot see them landing on Samui - landing fees etc etc

As for landing on KT ????

I wonder who will use the airport for the other 3 weeks every month?

Interesting article from CNN. I can't see that the fare from BKK (presume Dom Muang) to KP is going to be cheap as the ATR 42 aircraft

can only carry around 38 Pax. Although very convenient for those that have the money as it should only take about one and a half hours.

Wonder where the airport on TAO will be?Is it part of the Marine Park? Because an environmental impact study will be required if the area chosen is in the park.

I don't recall that an impact study had too much to do with Rwy length although if the runway is v. short it could be an issue during take off and landing.. Noise and pollution were the main concerns.

An impact study was required for every place in the sea which we chose to operate from when planning to operate to the Ang Thong islands, and that was in a seaplane which conformed to all of the requrements. But being a Thai operator the rules may be somewhat differentwhistling.gif

• 4 months later...

"So where is the boundary Baan Kai and Baan Tai? smile.png"

Start with Khun Lek's third coconut tree from the old abandoned songthaew carryboy, just behind Khun Tip's garbage burn pit on the beach. Follow the zig-zag coconut tree line up the hills, but take a detour just before Khun Ting Tong's patch.

Sheeez... and I thought everybody knew this...

Started, just the time to destroy a large part of North-East Koh Phangan, now works stopped from several months. No news about the future of this small airport/airstripe

That's because it was always intended to become a golf course.

• 4 weeks later...

So... Where does one need to point their motorbike in order to take some pics of said airfield-to-be? Will be spending some time on th'other side (East) and would like to check this thing out. How do I find it?

So... Where does one need to point their motorbike in order to take some pics of said airfield-to-be? Will be spending some time on th'other side (East) and would like to check this thing out. How do I find it?

Some where here, SBK posted some pictures of the area in question.... it's up the road towards Tong Nai Pan...

I tried getting up there once but about choked on the dust bah.gif although, I believe now that road has since been concreted???

NB !!!! there were or are two threads on this topic, the SBK pics might be in the other topic! wink.png

2/3rds or so is concrete... I remember thinking, driving from Ban Tai, "20 mins concrete, 20 mins dirt, 20 mins concrete" - or was it 15... The middle part is pretty level though for the most part, just bumpy. Hmm, I wonder where I'd have to turn off the TNP road...

2/3rds or so is concrete... I remember thinking, driving from Ban Tai, "20 mins concrete, 20 mins dirt, 20 mins concrete" - or was it 15... The middle part is pretty level though for the most part, just bumpy. Hmm, I wonder where I'd have to turn off the TNP road...

Where's SBK when we need her!!! ? she knows! biggrin.pngwink.png

Err. Its off the TNP road. more than halfway I think. Cmon Jimmy that was ages ago we went and I wasn't driving so I wasn't really paying attention. Just ask at one of those little roadside places on the TNP road

Yeah was going to do that unless someone could point out the road. It's North of the TNP road though, isn't it?

Not sure what you mean by North of the TNP road... AngThong...

Well errrm I thought SBK posted pictures somewhere... yeah it was a while back now!!! w00t.gifwink.png

I think the road that heads up there is just before the Ban Tai or is it Ban Kai, 7-11 on the left side headed towards Haad Rin... The road where the large trees are on the right maybe 1 km up, the you go past the Elephant trekking place after the very steep concrete road up the hill... then you just keep going !!! That's the only road I know of, perhaps there is another...? whistling.gif

Yeah was going to do that unless someone could point out the road. It's North of the TNP road though, isn't it?

Well errrm I thought SBK posted pictures somewhere... yeah it was a while back now!!! w00t.gifwink.png

I think the road that heads up there is just before the Ban Tai or is it Ban Kai, 7-11 on the left side headed towards Haad Rin... The road where the large trees are on the right maybe 1 km up, the you go past the Elephant trekking place after the very steep concrete road up the hill... then you just keep going !!! That's the only road I know of, perhaps there is another...? whistling.gif

I know the road to TNP :) It's the road to the airfield off the TNP road I don't know :P I believe it should be on the left hand side when driving from Ban Tai to TNP, hence north of the TNP road.

I know the road to TNP smile.png It's the road to the airfield off the TNP road I don't know tongue.png I believe it should be on the left hand side when driving from Ban Tai to TNP, hence north of the TNP road.

If someone gives the co ordinates of the proposed airfield might be able to looks for roads using Google earth.

Road to Tong Nai Pan, on the right side, before the road to Than Sadet, follow the indications to Than Phrapat waterfall.

One of the wildest and less known area of KPG (sigh!)

Careful, dirt road not in the best conditions for scooters.

Lat 9°44'21.20"N

Long 100° 4'24.17"E

(Approximate position ;-)

attachicon.gifMap.jpg

I'm happy not to drive to those co ordinates it indicates in the middle of the ocean on my Google earth. Maybe that's why no one can find the airport.

Lat 9°44'21.20"N

Long 100° 4'24.17"E

attachicon.gifMap.jpg

I'm happy not to drive to those co ordinates it indicates in the middle of the ocean on my Google earth. Maybe that's why no one can find the airport.

Sorry to contradict you, but the coordinates show the airport in East Phangan.

Double checked whistling.gif

Lat 9°44'21.20"N

Long 100° 4'24.17"E

attachicon.gifMap.jpg

You are correct, damn Google map showed as a incorrect position in middle of ocean by putting in the numbers you gave don't know why..

Road to Tong Nai Pan, on the right side, before the road to Than Sadet, follow the indications to Than Phrapat waterfall.

One of the wildest and less known area of KPG (sigh!)

Careful, dirt road not in the best conditions for scooters.

Next to Than Sadet? Wow, someone is being exceptionally stupid. Even that crazy floating airport would be a better idea. I'll see what the road is like, maybe walk - I only have a standard Honda Click.

Lat 9°44'21.20"N

Long 100° 4'24.17"E

attachicon.gifMap.jpg

You are correct, damn Google map showed as a incorrect position in middle of ocean by putting in the numbers you gave don't know why..

Try changing the decimal point for a comma. European google coordinate is different than us coordinate system

So, this is a real thing? I never thought it would ever actually happen. I am surprised.

Is it going to ship in massive package holiday type groups then, can't see it being less than the over priced Samui prices to fly there

End of days, last time I was there couple of years ago they were totally rennovating that bit across from Chicken Corner, looked like some hotel or other, that's a legendary corner or Haad Rin from waaaaay back sad.png

I tried to find one of the other old threads on this the other night, without much joy.... I found one page that was "archived" ...going back to 2011. Which is when this project was started...

This I believe, is a project is on hold, but it is not from what I remember going to be serving large planes, but rather for the "elite class" going to some of the higher end resorts....so for smaller type jets or prop planes....

It's not for the riff raff going to lowly places tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Archived