Farang Negatitivity Towards Rich Farang In Thailand

Lukjaa

thanks for bragging about your wealth to us. we will go ahead with our 'average' lives now if we must!

Having read some of his other comments, he has a bit of a temper on him. His insecurities are well and truly shining through with his need to detail his wealth and toys. Some of the most wealthy people that I know, would never even discuss this with others.

Credibility comes at 1370smile.png

On an anonymous internet forum - creditably never comes. However, you can love me long time for only 10 dollar.

They don't use, "you can love me long time for only 10 dollar" in Thailand. That was from a movie.smile.png I think you have a ways to go but keep working on it.

The currency in Thailand is the baht.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

On an anonymous internet forum - creditably never comes. However, you can love me long time for only 10 dollar.

They don't use, "you can love me long time for only 10 dollar" in Thailand. That was from a movie.smile.png I think you have a ways to go but keep working on it.

The currency in Thailand is the baht.

and love me long time 10 dollar, was in Vietnam

Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Stanley Kubrick Vietnam war movie filmed entirely on location in the UK, Isle of Dogs, and Dorset. They never went near Vietnam or Asia.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Competition.

He simply does not want competition by other foreigners who are much better off than himself.

since when if you are well off its a competition, most people who are well off give to charities ...do you ?

Truly wealthy people don't boast about it. They are by far in the minority and they actually like to have friends.

I have a very good long time friend who's extremely wealthy. He inherited it. Scratch that, his wife inherited it but they've been married forever so what's hers is his. You'd never know he had a dime more than anyone else. When we have lunch I buy every other time - it's about my manhood. He knows that. He drives a Chevy pickup no nicer than my pickup.

Sam Walton, the founder of Wal-Mart, drove a beater pickup, went into the small town of Bentonville, Arkansas, US every morning and had coffee with the guys he'd known forever. He was one of the richest men in the US but he didn't want to lose touch with his old friends. He knew how to stay comfortable with people.

Some people only THINK they are rich. I want to see their paid-for Gulfstream V and their 10 acre estate with the 15,000 sq foot home with beach frontage in Maui. I don't want to hear about their stinkin' motorcycle with which boasting they make themselves small.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Why are you bitter and envious? I would have always thought Thai people would be bitter and envious but when I talk to them, they are so accepting of thie position in life and really feel there is so little they can do to change it. With farnags, they have evey opportunity in the world and you might think they would admire another farang who worked hard and was able to rise above the general level, as we are taught to re

so what equates to rich or poor.. I earn 100k per month.. Am i in the poor or rich band?

spect hard work and dedication.

What does 10 posts have to do with being a troll? So if I had 10,000 posts and lived my life on ThaiVisa, that in some way gives me more credibility?

some here would like to believe that having posted 4000 times gives them some sort of credibility.

I personally believe quite the opposite is true.

yes, non-adjusted for reincarnation, that is.

I always respect more people who are richer than me, in Thailand or in the west !

Really? I personally respect people slogging their ass off for 12 hours a day in the heat so they can provide for their family, or selling their bodies to perverts in order to take care of children or parents 100's of km away, or out in the evening with some cart trying to sell some food or whatever for 10 baht so they might turn a profit of 100b for the night when they should be at home with their loved ones.

Usually more than I respect someone who's had nannies from day one and and their university paid for and then their position bought or influenced by daddy.

But each their own.

Edited by cbrer
  • Like 1

I always respect more people who are richer than me, in Thailand or in the west !

<deleted> really?

My default stance is one of suspicion, more than likely they earned it immorally.

If it turns out they actually got rich by contributing to society more than just profiting off others' misery, then they deserve respect for their hard work and what they've accomplished.

But certainly not just for the fact that they're wealthy. . .

• Like 1

<deleted> really?

My default stance is one of suspicion, more than likely they earned it immorally.

If it turns out they actually got rich by contributing to society more than just profiting off others' misery, then they deserve respect for their hard work and what they've accomplished.

But certainly not just for the fact that they're wealthy. . .

Lol, you know how I know you're not rich? I'm not rich either, but the idea that rich people screw somene over to get rich is false. They're rich because people stuff their face with oreos and sit around watching television all day lusting for that latest 'joneses' thing that is supposed to make them happy.

Lol, you know how I know you're not rich? I'm not rich either, but the idea that rich people screw somene over to get rich is false. They're rich because people stuff their face with oreos and sit around watching television all day lusting for that latest 'joneses' thing that is supposed to make them happy.

Depends on how you define harmlessness doesn't it. I personally consider modern mass consumerism to be a social evil, and IMO few lawyers or those in the financial industry have earned their money benefiting humanity or the planet.

But my main point is the just being wealthy in and of itself does not earn my respect.

For example if it's inherited, usually does the recipient more harm than good from a human development POV, just buys them ease and comfort, rarely do they achieve higher level goals. And I've observed a high correlation between the amount of wealth in a child's growing up environment and how screwed up they end up.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

so what equates to rich or poor.. I earn 100k per month.. Am i in the poor or rich band?

You make as much as 99% of the Thais, so I guess they would consider you rich and bow at your presence. In the West you are considered middle class.

Rich or poor was always a relative thing. In some places and times, having ten ordinary camels was considered rich, I am sure you can afford that (you can find one at $US 5,000 or less - I just checked - the internet is a marvelous thing).

In some places and times, having ten ordinary camels was considered rich, I am sure you can afford that (you can find one at $US 5,000 or less.

Rich Arabs spend millions on fast ones. In Australia sometimes for "outbreeding" purposes they round up the feral ones, descended from those imported before they had trains in the outback.

And I learned that in real offline life 8-)

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

You make as much as 99% of the Thais, so I guess they would consider you rich and bow at your presence. In the West you are considered middle class.

Rich or poor was always a relative thing. In some places and times, having ten ordinary camels was considered rich, I am sure you can afford that (you can find one at $US 5,000 or less - I just checked - the internet is a marvelous thing).

Well, there is a difference between wealth and class, and I think people get mistaken by that. You can be Upper class and be poor as a church mouse, you can be working class and be "loaded".

What has been made very clear here, by some posters is that wealth certainly doesn't buy class. The other point really, is that you wont get true respect from people, just because you have money - that comes with how you behave, how you treat people and to a certain degree what your occupation / education is (more so, probably when dealing with certain types of people).

I really don't care for the posters that like to talk about their wealth, I know personally a number of people here on TV and they certainly aren't poor , but they never ever feel the the need to talk about their wealth.

• Like 1

Well, there is a difference between wealth and class, and I think people get mistaken by that. You can be Upper class and be poor as a church mouse, you can be working class and be "loaded".

What has been made very clear here, by some posters is that wealth certainly doesn't buy class.

I believe your attitude is more representative of the British view on the subject, while in the US you'd have to say that the poverty-stricken snob used to be upper-class, and the lotter-winning nouveau rich working stiff used to be of the working class.

There is no objective thing out there in reality to which the label "class" is attached, any more than with "race", these kind of judgmental terms are defined by shared social attitudes and therefore the definitions vary based on the background of the beholder.

I really don't care for the posters that like to talk about their wealth, I know personally a number of people here on TV and they certainly aren't poor , but they never ever feel the the need to talk about their wealth.

And that's the bottom line on this topic, well said.

What has been made very clear here, by some posters is that wealth certainly doesn't buy class.

I believe your attitude is more representative of the British view on the subject, while in the US you'd have to say that the poverty-stricken snob used to be upper-class, and the lotter-winning nouveau rich working stiff used to be of the working class.

There is no objective thing out there in reality to which the label "class" is attached, any more than with "race", these kind of judgmental terms are defined by shared social attitudes and therefore the definitions vary based on the background of the beholder.

Well, yes in a way - I am British (oh shit, I admitted it) so, yes there is a "class -structure", I think the point I probably missed out and should have made better is...

You don't have to have wealth to have class - and class is more about how the person conducts themselves, and treats others. I don't think, and this IMO, bragging about ones own wealth is particularly classy.

• Like 1