Ticket Scam Accused Briton Skips Bail

george

...Another complaint, by Nok Air, filed in Bangkok with the Crime Suppression Division, alleges that Duncan defrauded the airline out of “about 1 or 2 million baht”.
They must have a really exact book-keeping. :whistling:

LOL! But I wonder if this is why for months now Nok Air no longer allows buying tickets online using a non-thai credit card. You now get an error message and are told to call them up where you are required to pay an extra 20 baht because you called rather than used the internet :ermm:.

No this is because they like to keep all fraud money for themselves. There is a lot more credit card fraud and false cards with Thai credit cards then with any leading international card like AMEX or VIsa . The few times i got frauded expenses on my credit card was always after i had stayed in BKK for a while... but always got the refund from Visa.

LOL

:o As a travel agent in the US for over 15 years, I have some thoughts about this episode. "Caveat Emptor"...Let the buyer beware. If a deal sounds too good then it probably is. Before purchasing any tickets, the purchaser should check the reliability of the vendor, call the airlines directly and verify. I am living in the US with my Thai wife and have plans to retire to Phuket and set up an internet shop where I can book tickets online for consumers who come to the shop. Incidents like this give farangs a bad reputation with the Thai. "One bad apple can spoil the whole barrel". This is not a world where one can trust blindly and we must always verify before we make a critical mistake like this. 50,00 Bt does seem a small bail to me also.

good luck to him as it was not a crime of voilence.

Very stupid and ill-informed comment! Lives would be less expensive when paying for things if people did not persist in these 'get rich quick' scams.

People do get hurt, and in some cases lose out so much that they have to pay the costs, not the fraudster!

I for one hope justice is applied to Mr. Duncan, if indeed he did this crime! :o

Down South bung someone a "monkey", out the exit and off you goto report your passport stolen. Back to the UK flyng colours....thanks for the memories!

Obviously no refund in the small print on the ticket when buying dodgy (Arthur Daley style)!

TIT :o

Any scumbag like this man should be hung, as putting him away would cost us innocent parties more than what he is worth

In a Thailand jail? Expensive? Have you seen the Bangkok Hilton jail or any others for that matter....its not exactly 1st class now is it, unless you class malnutrition and over crowding a perk of incarceration?

However I agree he needs punished, however hangings a bit strong isnt it? :o Each to their own eh!

This is hardly a victimless crime is it? Was he too lazy to work as a TEFL teacher if he was skint and wanted to stay in LOS. Just for future reference I would love to know whether he was given back his passport or whether he got one down Khaosan Rd. I guess he'll forfeit the 50K but can offset that against any overstay fine. :o

Do you want to teach English and get paid with pretty sea shells and colourful beads?

Kidding, no "colourful" replies from Ajarn, it was a joke! :D

To everyone jumping on the band wagon. Lay off the guy who expressed his OPINION, it's not him who's been scaming, jeez!

Reminds me of that film "Catch me if you can" :o

Maybe he will not make inane remarks on this forum in future!

:o As a travel agent in the US for over 15 years, I have some thoughts about this episode. "Caveat Emptor"...Let the buyer beware. If a deal sounds too good then it probably is. Before purchasing any tickets, the purchaser should check the reliability of the vendor, call the airlines directly and verify. I am living in the US with my Thai wife and have plans to retire to Phuket and set up an internet shop where I can book tickets online for consumers who come to the shop. Incidents like this give farangs a bad reputation with the Thai. "One bad apple can spoil the whole barrel". This is not a world where one can trust blindly and we must always verify before we make a critical mistake like this. 50,00 Bt does seem a small bail to me also.

From one of the guy who has been con , yes he did book the ticket and give booking number to customer ! then after the transfer done , he cancelled the ticket ...

one of the raison he give at the end , was a spelling mistake need to be correct !

the con gay in question want to both embassy to ut a plaint ! ( english and thai )

the guy have a home page and was resisted for travel agency .

To everyone jumping on the band wagon. Lay off the guy who expressed his OPINION, it's not him who's been scaming, jeez!

Reminds me of that film "Catch me if you can" :o

RJ 81,,,,,,,,,,,,,,You forgot the last sentece of your signoff

Yesterday is History

Tomorrow is a Mystery

Today is a Gift

That's why it's called the Present

As far as i'm concerned, these "victims" are the stupid ones.

To buy air tickets on the cheap from a person is stupid or is it human nature to try to get something for almost nothing.

These cheap charlies should go to a reputable travel ageny to purchase their tickets, as i have done for the past 20 years.

These people were inane enough to give their credit card number to some one who is dodgy.

I hope they do not get a refund from the credit card companies as they are not using their cards in a responsible way.

As far as i'm concerned, these "victims" are the stupid ones.

To buy air tickets on the cheap from a person is stupid or is it human nature to try to get something for almost nothing.

These cheap charlies should go to a reputable travel ageny to purchase their tickets, as i have done for the past 20 years.

These people were inane enough to give their credit card number to some one who is dodgy.

I hope they do not get a refund from the credit card companies as they are not using their cards in a responsible way.

I understood that the deals were cash only.

He then used stolen card numbers to purchase the flight tickets.

Gave the tickets to the cheapskate and went on his merry way with x thousand baht in his pocket and no comeback for the purchaser.

The people whos' cards were used to purchase the tickets deserve to get refunded as they were used fraudulently and without there permission.

So 2 differant victims, the cheapskate who loses his/her cash and gets no flight or maybe half a flight and then the person whos card number he stole (possibly through phishing/other internet scams....or maybe some other accomplice who skims cards in Pattaya/BKK etc)

So I think what you say isn't fair comment and based on misunderstanding of how he worked :o

It would be a crime of violence if I bought one of the tickets and found him when I discovered the ticket was no good.No such thing as victimless crime. :o:D

Utter nonsense!

Next thing you'll be saying it is wrong to defraud a bank or credit card company, and assaulting an estate agent is a criminal offence!

Get a grip man, for Gawd's sake.

Um lets see, may be he will get a job at the other honest company Ample Rich this will serve as a good reference!!!

He is a criminal and all criminals are the same ... and the sympathy shown in some of the posting is plainly disgusting ... it really shows that some of you are just as bad as that english man... it

Agree on your views as I was nearly ripped off by a scam on-line

Where does it state he is English??? It stated 'Briton' which could mean he is Scottish (Likely with a name like Duncan), English, Northern Irish or Welsh.

All power to the guys elbow, proves the dubiuos policies of the premier work for foriegners too!!.

:D

Anyone with a modicum of common sense would surely have realised the prices were totally unreal :whistling: .

I blame the gredy rapacious fools who thought they were going to get something for nothing :blink: .

Not good luck to him at all. I have had the misfortune to actually meet this guy when he tried to stay in Krabi. He used to work for the infamous Anna's School. (Another scammin person. He actually scammed a friend's father's credit card and bought himself a top of the range laptop with it. He actually is Scottish not English - not that that makes any difference.

He is a creepy, bitter person and I really hope that he gets what he deserves.

All power to the guys elbow, proves the dubiuos policies of the premier work for foriegners too!!.

:D

Anyone with a modicum of common sense would surely have realised the prices were totally unreal :o .

I blame the gredy rapacious fools who thought they were going to get something for nothing :D .

You seem to be confused.

These ticket-scams are rearly super-cheap. That would require a large starting-sum or a lot of stolen cards to begin with on his part (to get the good reputation up first) and he would have to work a long time to get it back and then some.

If you knew anything about scams like this you would know that he low-balled in the area of many other _legit_ ticket-agencys, not one fifth of the real ticket-price or something.

So no, the buyers doesn't automatically need to be stupid or 'gredy', they just saw a way to get a low-price-ticket without to much hassle. Anyone that has been in the area of finding the cheapest (legits) tickets knows that it's a price-jungle out there and that in many case there is a lot of 'but' along with the low price. Sometimes you dig gold however, as I've been able to do most of the times I flew here. It just took a little longer to look.

And they let him out on 50,000 bail? Brilliant! Hope they let him keep his passport as well just to make things easier.

Hey please if anyone else was conned please contact me [email protected].

I am currently trying to close his website down in England and force the thai police to do more. He conned me in January but they didnt even want to stop his bank account, hence more people got conned.

Now I am working with UK police to track him down, via his passport activities.

Please let me know if it happened to you ok, maybe we can stop it hapening again. Yes I feel stupid I was even recommending him at my work, but then again we all make mistakes. Hopefully I will learn

Aky

Anyone know what else we can do?

I can write this amount off, but if we sit back and do nothing then he will come back and do it again. I'm still talking to UK police about it, but it has to be the thai police to instigate things. But at least he may not come back here again.

Hope this is the end of the episode

aky

A person breaks in to your Gradmothers house while she is sleeping, does not wake her but steels her treasured belongings, maybe a ring from a deceased spouse.

This is not a violent crime but would you wish them luck?

Thinking before you speak (type) is a great gift.

• 1 month later...