Music Copyright Officials “Disappear” During Arrest Process Of Central Pattaya Shop Owner

Rimmer

Music Copyright Officials “disappear” during arrest process of Central Pattaya shop owner

gmm-3.jpg

PATTAYA:--A group claiming to be Police and representatives from a Music Copyright Unit suddenly disappeared after journalists were told by the owner of a Pizza Shop in Central Pattaya that they had allegedly attempted to “clear” the case with them for a sum of 30,000 Baht.

The incident began at the Jasmine Pizza Shop located in Soi Baukao early on Saturday Morning. They received a request from a customer to play some romantic Thai Music. He had not ordered a pizza but only a Beer. The staff at the shop were not suspicious and placed a copied mp3 disc into their CD player. As soon as this happened, 2 men and 1 woman entered the shop.

The men claimed they were from Region 4 Police whose area of responsibility is the North-East of Thailand and not the area which covers Pattaya. The woman, Khunn Gaiwalin aged 32 claimed she was from the GMM-Grammy Record Company. They seized the CD player and the mp3 disc and ordered the shop owner Khun Artitya aged 26 and the shop assistant Khun Donlaya aged 20 to Pattaya Police Station where the owner was offered a 30,000 Baht deal to clear the case.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/65461/music-copyright-officials-disappear-arrest-process-central-pattaya-shop-owner/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-11-10

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Seem to remember a story of a team like this headed up by a female. Thought they were caught but did a runner and ended up in Chiang Mai doing the same song and dance. Seems like it would be a good idea to have a 'media' person's phone number or business card handy if it gets that kind of result. biggrin.png

Was the customer who requested the music a part of the scam team too . Would that not be classified as entrapment if it was a official raid in most countries.?

I do not think entrapment is illegal in Thailand, supposedly there is a Farang Police Volunteer who routinely pose as punters with marked bank notes on police operations.

For me the worrying part is that it all seems to be with support of the local bib.

As reported the negotiations on the "fine" were held at the police station, and one can assume that they do not just rent out meeting rooms to strangers over there...

Presumably they should crack down on these things instead of aiding them on their own premises...

The whole thing only went tits up when the media arrived.

Likely the attending local meeting officer also quitly disappeared leaving the low level on duty underlings to deal with the mess.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Was the customer who requested the music a part of the scam team too . Would that not be classified as entrapment if it was a official raid in most countries.?

I do not think entrapment is illegal in Thailand, supposedly there is a Farang Police Volunteer who routinely pose as punters with marked bank notes on police operations.

Not supposedly.

At least one.

Edited by jayceenik

Seems to be a normal happening, that the suspected crooks, seem to be able to just get away. Often there will be a raid, on a house or business, and no matter how many police are there, some of the bad guys get out the back door.

The police here should watch some American cop shows, and see how its done, or dont they understand that there is a back door also?

Seems to be a normal happening, that the suspected crooks, seem to be able to just get away. Often there will be a raid, on a house or business, and no matter how many police are there, some of the bad guys get out the back door.

The police here should watch some American cop shows, and see how its done, or dont they understand that there is a back door also?

Figures that this article would not get by without someone who does not know squat taking a jab at police incompetence or corruption. Then again maybe I am not giving the fellow enough credit? After all who can refute someone who references his logic to TV shows! tongue.png

Is not the Keystone Kops obligatory viewing during training?

The shop was actually in the wrong, wasn't it?

Thai music does have copyright, and, unlike western music, it is enforced here.

i.e. If they hadn't suggested 30,000 baht to get around the problem, where the threat of journalist involvement then made them act scarce, I think the journalist's story would have just been about the shopkeeper being fined.