Phantom 200 Custom Parts

AllanB

I have a 2005 TA200 Phantom and would like to get some custom parts, starting with a nice sounding exhaust. Does anyone know where to buy these bits ion Thailand, I am in the North East but could order or maybe travel.

Or maybe my existing box could be modified, so an expert in that field perhaps?

Thanks

AllanB

I was searching around on google ai saw several sites here in Thailand try googleing honda pahntom accessories.

Moe

Yes and no, I couldn't find anything. There are a few car exhaust companies here who I thought may do a mod, but back pressure it quite important on small engines and thought they may screw up the already meagre performance.

My down pipe is looking a bit sorry so may experiment with this exhaust.

By the way what is "Ridding" as opposed to Googling, or was that a misspell by your mate?

A word of warning, a new exhaust for the Phantom is 12,000 Baht. My down pipe went brown and sorry looking, I brought it back by using well worn scotchbrite nicked from the kitchen, WD40 and about 40 minutes worth of elbow grease. It needs a quick 5 minute rub down about once a month or so to keep it looking decent.

There are a few car exhaust companies here who I thought may do a mod, but back pressure it quite important on small engines and thought they may screw up the already meagre performance.

No, the backpressure is only important on 2-stroke bikes/engines.

Must be why SuperTrapp make tuneable mufflers for 4-stroke bikescoffee1.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

Please provide a link/source, where "SuperTrapp" (?) seriously explains the importance of "back-pressure" for 4-stroke bikes/exhausts....

4-stroke engines need everything, but never a "back-pressure effect", it's just a myth.

Very good 4-stroke exhausts are designed to create a "suction-effect".

Please read this

Please provide a link/source, where "SuperTrapp" (?) seriously explains the importance of "back-pressure" for 4-stroke bikes/exhausts....

4-stroke engines need everything, but never a "back-pressure effect", it's just a myth.

Very good 4-stroke exhausts are designed to create a "suction-effect".

Please read this

The article you quote is flawed in a way because it states that "Back pressure in it's most extreme form can lead to reversion of the exhaust stream - that is to say the exhaust flows backwards, which is not good"

If exhaust reversion is not good how do you propose to create a "suction-effect" ? So by providing a link, if you read it, you are agreeing that 4-stroke exhausts need back pressure.

Since you are the one suggesting that "back pressure" is important for 2-stokes (to quote your comment) please provide a link/source that explains the importance of "back-pressure" for 2-stroke bikes/exhausts....Very good 2-stroke exhausts are designed to create a "suction-effect" like your liked article good exhausts are designed to create a return pulse. A by product of which is back pressure designed into the system. let us also not forget that the bike in question is a single cylinder bike.

I am not sure how many 2-stroke exhausts you have bought but as an ex-kart racer I have bought many both short track and long track ones.

Should the previous statement lead you to think that I have only been involved with high performance two-strokes, I have previously built a few 4-stroke race engines but to provide such links would invalidate my nomme de plume which after all is part of the fun on having one.

If back pressure or a returning wave is not important for 4-stroke engines why did Red Bull fit a Helmholtz resonator to its F1 exhaust emulating many other F1 teams. These have become all the rage recently for single cylinder dirt bike exhausts. Of course they only work at a certain RPM and not across the whole rev range. (Added because I sell exhausts which do not have themwink.png )

Everything to do with exhaust design is a compromise if you wish to run your single cylinder 4-stroke bike with an open pipe please feel free to do so but it will suffer a drop in low speed torque. Large North American V twins get away with this because it doesn't matter if they give away a little low end as that is what they are primarily designed for.

If you would like to borrow Roy Bacon's book on 2-stroke exhausts I will be happy to loan it to you and if you wish Cesare Bossaglia's book on 2-stroke high performance engine design although this is more an expose rather than a practical manual. I offer these as often it is not possible to glean everything from the internet.

I do not wish to enter into a protracted discussion as that would break one of my personal rules see signature below.

Edited by VocalNeal