What Is It With Dtac?

Konini

We're both on prepaid DTAC SIM cards. The conversation often goes like this:

Where have you been? I've been trying to phone you for ages.

I'm in the bar downstairs.

OK, hang up. I'm going to try again.

.........Waiting for him to figure out I can't get him and he needs to phone me back. Doesn't happen so I walk downstairs, check and see that he has full signal, although according to the nice lady at DTAC he doesn't have any signal at all. Even when I'm standing next to him using their signal to tell me he doesn't.

So, it's easier to send a text message, right? Yesterday afternoon he came home after being out with friends. 'Did you get the milk?' 'What milk?' 5 minutes later, beep beep. The message I'd sent him 3 hours earlier.

There has to be an alternative, this is driving me crazy. Do I need to change or are all of the others the same?

Use what I use. It's called a land line. Works every time and has for many, many years. Mobiles are undependable.

They are, I agree but no good when you're out of the house. I've never known such bad service - not as in customer service but mobile service. How can I be standing next to someone with 3 bars of signal and get a message telling me he's out of range or whatever the message is they give. It really is driving me mad. I thought (hoped) it was just DTAC, but if others aren't having problems it rules that out. And yes, we've tried different phones. It's just crazy. Every city has 'black spots', most of which are well known to people, but standing next to me? No, no, no. And not just once, we've tested this a few times now.

EDIT: And he doesn't have missed calls so he knows I'm trying to get him. If it actually rings and he doesn't answer, he gets a missed call, but when I get the message, he gets nothing.

Edited by Konini

It's just happened again - he's been home for an hour, a whole hour, and a text message I sent to him 3 hours and 18 minutes ago has just beeped it's way into his life. It really is annoying. And no list of missed calls in his missed calls folder.

I have AIS one to call.

I have noticed the service going down hil in the last year. Calls I never used to have a problem with I find my self having to move around the room for. Some times they are OK one place I have been going to for 7 years now it i hardly ever open to making or receiving calls. A lot of times if I call them back it wil work fine. I think it is the same as the internet. Have a great service and then over sell it's ability

If I was to purchase a new top of the line smart phone would it make a difference. My new one is only a coupe of months old and cost about 1,000 baht my old one is 7 years old and works just as good. My new one was a gift from my doughtier in law.

Use what I use. It's called a land line. Works every time and has for many, many years. Mobiles are undependable.

But those landlines are a bit a pain in the **se to carry with you on a shopping trip, not? Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

I have both Dtac and AIS and they are as bad as each other in different ways - but not a lot worse than Orange (now EE) in UK or vodafone in Spain -- both of which I use when in those countries a few times every year ;)

Not an uncommon problem. I've experienced this in many countries, where two phones 3 feet apart can't contact one another.

Times I've been expecting a call and/or the phone's been suspiciously quiet, I switch off and on. That forces it to re-register with the network and behold - calls start coming in "where you been, been trying to call you for ages".

The problem "the number you are calling is not reachable" is annoying, but not nearly as annoying as when it claims to be ringing (at your end) but it's not ringing at the callee's end and you're thinking "why tf don't they pick up?".

It seems to be a phenomenon of modern mobile communications, that the cell company somehow 'forgets' you're there even though your phone's showing good signal. Whether that's an issue at the telco end or the handset end, I don't know but it does seem to be getting more common.

Fwiw we have True, DTAC and AIS (and CAT but I don't use that as a phone) and there are times we have a hard time getting through no matter the combination of calling from or to (provider-wise). I haven't noticed the problem here quite as much as in Africa, but that might not mean anything because I use the phone here a small fraction of what I do there.

Does anyone know if there is a website in Thailand where you can send text messages to mobile users?

In Europe I could log into a free T-Mobile web account and send text messages to mobile users in Europe (or anywhere I imagine). I think there was a limit of 10 per month or something.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the above comments - @Hello Dolly - the phone doesn't matter, I have a nice new smartphone that I'm trying to figure out how to use and am sticking with the GBP10 unsmart Samsung in the meanwhile. Old Trusty, the ancient Nokia which is dusted off every now and again (usually when we go to UK and I want to keep my Thai SIM in but want an English SIM, still works perfectly after all these years. Well, not in Chiang Mai obviously, but I've never seemed to have a problem with it elsewhere. The super dooper new one has a dual SIM, but I can't see me throwing that old dependable (when nothing else will work) phone away. I had thought it may be SIM related, so I got a new one, then my husband also got a new one. Same problem, different SIM card. My husband doesn't have a smart phone so the app isn't any good but I'll keep that one on the burner for when I come to terms with the new phone for friends, although I'm not sure how it would work unless the other end was connected to wifi, being as how the signal is so unreliable here. I often use ViopDiscount to phone, and when I get the unavailable message I always try with my phone just in case it was Voip's fault, but so far it never has been, and the text message lottery works the same whether I use the old phone, new phone, ancient Nokia, ViopDiscount or Skype to send it. Could be instant, could be a few hours, could be never. I was just hoping that there was someone else out there a bit more reliable. Before we had these rotten gadgets, we managed perfectly well without them. Can't remember how, but we did. I was an early bird to mobiles, had to be because I was first call on security at work. My arguments of if I'm not at work I'm at home, if I'm out for the evening I'm off duty and if I'm in the supermarket I'm not going to answer 'that thing' because people will think I'm an idiot speaking to myself didn't go down well with my progressive employers and I lugged a huge brick of a thing around with me in 1991. The battery was actually bigger and much heavier than the phone (it was a separate unit, connected to the phone by a lead), and the huge telescopic aerial kept accidentally getting broken (oops!), rendering the thing useless until someone noticed I wasn't carrying it (obvious because I could walk straight) and sent it for repairs. Coverage and line quality was pretty much the same in Melbourne in 1991 as it is in Chiang Mai in 2012.

The thing is that now we've got used to them, it's so difficult to live without them. Looks like I might start having to go and get the milk myself as I did when we were first married.

Just from my personal experience- all the majors suck.

I had AIS (so-called) 3G for years, until it slowed to a crawl (below dialup speed) in my area.

Friends with True say it is great for data in Muang, but constantly drops voice calls.

I have had DTAC (so called) 3G since last Dec., and it has been fantastic 99% of the time, where I live. But it has had some big outages recently that lasted for hours.

To state the obvious, the quality of service with any provider is dependent on a lot of factors:

-Your location (proximity to nearest cell site)

-Time of day (peak hours no bueno)

-Network upgrades, outages (happens all the time)

-Your phone (model, battery charge, efficiency of antenna)

Not doubting the OP's problems at all- but it is pretty much par for the course here.

Thailand is fast becoming a 3rd world country in telecom- Laos is rolling out 4G.

The powers that be here are still arguing like cats in heat over how to get 3G up, which will hugely address and alleviate all these network overload issues.

By the time they figure out how to divide up and distribute all the revenue streams to all the powerful vested interests (the state enterprise unions, the various ministries, the telecom operators, the elite family shareholders of telecom stock, etc.)- the rest of the world will have moved on to 4G LTE (long term evolution).

Sad but true.....

Thank you for the above comments - @Hello Dolly - the phone doesn't matter, I have a nice new smartphone that I'm trying to figure out how to use and am sticking with the GBP10 unsmart Samsung in the meanwhile. Old Trusty, the ancient Nokia which is dusted off every now and again (usually when we go to UK and I want to keep my Thai SIM in but want an English SIM, still works perfectly after all these years. Well, not in Chiang Mai obviously, but I've never seemed to have a problem with it elsewhere. The super dooper new one has a dual SIM, but I can't see me throwing that old dependable (when nothing else will work) phone away. I had thought it may be SIM related, so I got a new one, then my husband also got a new one. Same problem, different SIM card. My husband doesn't have a smart phone so the app isn't any good but I'll keep that one on the burner for when I come to terms with the new phone for friends, although I'm not sure how it would work unless the other end was connected to wifi, being as how the signal is so unreliable here. I often use ViopDiscount to phone, and when I get the unavailable message I always try with my phone just in case it was Voip's fault, but so far it never has been, and the text message lottery works the same whether I use the old phone, new phone, ancient Nokia, ViopDiscount or Skype to send it. Could be instant, could be a few hours, could be never. I was just hoping that there was someone else out there a bit more reliable. Before we had these rotten gadgets, we managed perfectly well without them. Can't remember how, but we did. I was an early bird to mobiles, had to be because I was first call on security at work. My arguments of if I'm not at work I'm at home, if I'm out for the evening I'm off duty and if I'm in the supermarket I'm not going to answer 'that thing' because people will think I'm an idiot speaking to myself didn't go down well with my progressive employers and I lugged a huge brick of a thing around with me in 1991. The battery was actually bigger and much heavier than the phone (it was a separate unit, connected to the phone by a lead), and the huge telescopic aerial kept accidentally getting broken (oops!), rendering the thing useless until someone noticed I wasn't carrying it (obvious because I could walk straight) and sent it for repairs. Coverage and line quality was pretty much the same in Melbourne in 1991 as it is in Chiang Mai in 2012.

The thing is that now we've got used to them, it's so difficult to live without them. Looks like I might start having to go and get the milk myself as I did when we were first married.

I think it is just a matter of they have finally over sold their capacity to handle calls. I know I had much better reception 6 months ago. When I was at home it worked every where now I find myself having to move around a lot of the time.

Does anyone know if there is a website in Thailand where you can send text messages to mobile users?

In Europe I could log into a free T-Mobile web account and send text messages to mobile users in Europe (or anywhere I imagine). I think there was a limit of 10 per month or something.

Thanks in advance.

You can send SMS from gmail to anyone on dtac & True Move (don't think True Move even exists anymore but it is still listed on my gmail page...maybe the True system still works?) I've used it and it works well enough.

I was having a lot of problems with my DTAC service and went to the office to complain. The staff did a little diagnostic, and recommended I go to Samsung service. After replacing my Galaxy S main board, I no longer have any problems at all. Mobile phones don't last that long under the best conditions, and in a hot, damp climate may need more frequent service. I was told that moisture was the probable cause of my phone's meltdown.

Thanks in advance.

You can send SMS from gmail to anyone on dtac & True Move (don't think True Move even exists anymore but it is still listed on my gmail page...maybe the True system still works?) I've used it and it works well enough.

Thanks for your help. That's what I was looking for. Although how would one know what carrier someone uses? Are there many in Thailand?

Edited by elektrified

use dtac too and rarely have issues...I agree with the blackberry use....it's old an uncool like Nokia but their handsets work and dead reliable.

I have a blackberry and prepaid on dtac is cheap for activation 299 baht per month for emails, bbm, whatsapp and they are a great way to get to each other without paying for sms....if you can send an sms..you can use whatsapp.