What Highways Can I Not Drive On.............

thewug

Hello all....

I would like to get some information on what highways that we are not allowed to drive a motorbike on? If anyone has a good map or GPS device that will help all it would be apprecated Im sure by all...

Thanks Michael

What is the fine for riding your bike on the tollway? Just in case you are dumb enough to get on it somehow...

Might be better to pay a fine if it is only 200baht... I have for the last 12 years wanted to ride them at night... No dogs there... Nice roads...

What is the fine for riding your bike on the tollway? Just in case you are dumb enough to get on it somehow...

Might be better to pay a fine if it is only 200baht... I have for the last 12 years wanted to ride them at night... No dogs there... Nice roads...

I think it is 1000 baht

I would add Hwy 331 Near Hupbon/Laem Chabang. It is horrible and could be dangerous. The road surface is bad. Worse it is a dual carriageway so one can be lulled into a false sense of security only to be presented with some of the worst pot holes ever.

Edited by VocalNeal

Ok... Last time i rode my bike in bangers I forgot to switch off the tollways on my phone/GPS... Did a few wrong turns, but not really bad since a bike can move quite fast in a traffic jam... Tollways would be super to ride on...

1000, might be a fine to take one day, if you need to cross bangers quickly and don't know the place... Not for a run down to Siam square though...

There are some raised bridges that are not tollways over the city.... Are thesse OK to drive on?

And thanks for your imput....

Michael

Some are, such as the one from Rama IX that bypasses Ratchadapisek and also a small section on the raised bridge that runs on top of Rama 9 - please note that for this one, it's allowed going from city towards Suvanabhumi but not the other way round. Why? TIT :D

There are some raised bridges that are not tollways over the city.... Are thesse OK to drive on?

And thanks for your imput....

Michael

If the bridge has a shoulder Yes OK, but if it is a simple 2-lane with no shoulder it will be posted as off limits to motorbikes. When in doubt follow other motorbikes.

I'll also add to the NO GO roads the middle lanes of Bang Na-Trat between the outer ring road (IKEA) and the Bang-Na junction. There are no signs on the actual BangNa-Trat but there are signs at every entrance point. So "ignorance of the law is no excuse".

Tollways would be super to ride on...

Yes they would wouldn't they but as we already have Porsches driving at in excess of 240 kms per hour rear ending pickup trucks one doesn't need much imagination to realise what it would be like with yahoos riding bikes on the expressways.

Edited by VocalNeal

Are there any good maps that can be bought or a good cheap GPS unit that have roads and highways that are motorbike friendy?

Michael

Can't say for sure so what I normally do is just set my GPS to avoid Tolls AND highways and then VN said above, just follow other motorcycles (that's not to say that they are not breaking the law either :D )

It's a right mixed bag isn't it.

Generally if the road sign is blue stay off of it! :)

I my self have been 'stupid enough' to enter the expressway when coming back from Bang Saen via the Bang Na Trat.

After doing a U-turn I noticed a sign for Suvarnabhumi (not Suvarnabhumi Airport) so headed onto express way for a distance of 5km or so before quickly darting off onto Thannon On Nut to....Oppps :D

• Like 1

Generally if the road sign is blue stay off of it! smile.png

I my self have been 'stupid enough' to enter the expressway when coming back from Bang Saen via the Bang Na Trat.

After doing a U-turn I noticed a sign for Suvarnabhumi (not Suvarnabhumi Airport) so headed onto express way for a distance of 5km or so before quickly darting off onto Thannon On Nut to....Oppps biggrin.png

I have done the exact same thing there. As long as you get off at On Nut, you will be fine. It is the last exit before the tolls.

If I am not mistaken, 2000 baht fine for riding a motorbike on the tollway.

After doing a U-turn I noticed a sign for Suvarnabhumi (not Suvarnabhumi Airport) so headed onto express way for a distance of 5km or so before quickly darting off onto Thannon On Nut to....Oppps biggrin.png

I have done the exact same thing there. As long as you get off at On Nut, you will be fine. It is the last exit before the tolls.

I wanted to use the airport's ring road, that eventually spits me out on to Rom Klao Road :)

But the first time I turned off too early resulting in a maximum speed blast until the on-nut turn off :D

Ouch about the 2000Baht fine if caught :S

If it's an exit without a toll booth, it isn't the actual highway yet.

I remeber many years ago coming back from Ayuthaya and together with my friend entering what I think must have been the #9 highway, passing the sign which shows all the vehicles that are prohibited.

Since at that time I actually never had been on a tollway in Thailand yet, I told my friend that he didn't need to worry as there was no tollbooth in sight so it was no tollway.The tollway came however in sight several kilometers further on and we decided to simply turn back and drive against traffic flow for at least 2 Km and leave through a highway entrance.biggrin.png

...Riding bang na via kanchanapisek from srinakarin rama9 almost everyday since few years,it takes me 8mn to reach my factory , by normal roads it takes 25mn! I've been caught 2/3 times... cost me 20baht then 2nd time a businesscard ,3rd time cop was upset ( same bib on his large white Honda FJR)... Wanted to drag me at the station , 500 on spot ...

Much safer ,faster .

...Riding bang na via kanchanapisek from srinakarin rama9 almost everyday since few years,it takes me 8mn to reach my factory , by normal roads it takes 25mn! I've been caught 2/3 times... cost me 20baht then 2nd time a businesscard ,3rd time cop was upset ( same bib on his large white Honda FJR)... Wanted to drag me at the station , 500 on spot ...

Much safer ,faster .

I've always wondered about Kanchanphisek - that would be such a nice shortcut!