Chainsaw Info

bjsanook

Sorry but tried the search option and got nothing. Remember seeing a member mention something about chainsaws. Can you buy them? How much? If no, rent? Or last recourse, hiring?

Thanks, got some land north of Ubon that needs some clearing. I used to cut pulp in Wisconsin so know the job well and would rather do it myself.

BJ

Sorry but tried the search option and got nothing. Remember seeing a member mention something about chainsaws. Can you buy them? How much? If no, rent? Or last recourse, hiring?

Thanks, got some land north of Ubon that needs some clearing. I used to cut pulp in Wisconsin so know the job well and would rather do it myself.

BJ

BJ

hard to find in Ubon, but i knoiw few of my farang friend who has it,,,do research in your village and im sure you find it...

I was trying to do same in that I wanted to cut some trees on land that we owned and thought is a simple matter to get a chain saw and cut them.

Not so. First it is hard to find a place that sells them because you must have a license before they can sell to you (legally of course). I was also informed that if you do find one and are caught with it and no license you will be deported.

Upon hearing that inquiry to locals found someone that had a chain saw and would cut the trees for me for a very nominal fee. I thought the better of trying to find a saw for my own use after hearing the strict rules regarding having one, and the penalties involved if caught with a chain saw and not the proper licenses.

It is too hot to do the work yourself anyhow, so find someone to do it for you.

I was trying to do same in that I wanted to cut some trees on land that we owned and thought is a simple matter to get a chain saw and cut them.

Not so. First it is hard to find a place that sells them because you must have a license before they can sell to you (legally of course). I was also informed that if you do find one and are caught with it and no license you will be deported.

Upon hearing that inquiry to locals found someone that had a chain saw and would cut the trees for me for a very nominal fee. I thought the better of trying to find a saw for my own use after hearing the strict rules regarding having one, and the penalties involved if caught with a chain saw and not the proper licenses.

Or if you really want to do it yourself, hire him and let him sit under a tree while you do it...

Or if you really want to do it yourself, hire him and let him sit under a tree while you do it...

But not the tree you are cutting down :o

I, in fact, put a post on TV on this topic about 1 year ago and got the same sort of replies. I had some cleared land with heaps of piles of felled trees just ripe for cutting up to make TARN (charcoal). I went through quite a few shops in Ubon, Khemarat, Amnat and Mukdahan and got the same answers, being that they dont sell them because you need a permit etc.

In the village next to us there is a licenced timber miller with this huge chainsaw. I just get him to come around every now and then and cut up some stuff for a nominal fee. (not too much) He tells me that he pays a "fee" to the police of 2000 baht per month.

I also heard of a guy up north in Udon Thani or somewhere like that who used a electric chainsaw with a long long extension cord to cut some timber. I can imagine the loss of power with the extension cord. Nevertheless even the electric chainsaws are no good for big timber.

Good luck

I, in fact, put a post on TV on this topic about 1 year ago and got the same sort of replies. I had some cleared land with heaps of piles of felled trees just ripe for cutting up to make TARN (charcoal). I went through quite a few shops in Ubon, Khemarat, Amnat and Mukdahan and got the same answers, being that they dont sell them because you need a permit etc.

In the village next to us there is a licenced timber miller with this huge chainsaw. I just get him to come around every now and then and cut up some stuff for a nominal fee. (not too much) He tells me that he pays a "fee" to the police of 2000 baht per month.

I also heard of a guy up north in Udon Thani or somewhere like that who used a electric chainsaw with a long long extension cord to cut some timber. I can imagine the loss of power with the extension cord. Nevertheless even the electric chainsaws are no good for big timber.

Good luck

Do the electric ones have different permit requirements? I can see why they don't want a lot of chain saws floating around, but the electric ones seem a bit less useful as weapons.

Good luck

Sezzo

How come Licenced timber have to pay fee for police to operated Chainsaw,if he has licence??? :o

And 2000thb fee in Khem,, sound's like falang fee already,, maybe he pay 200, but tell you 2000, so he can charge you dit more....

any how,, one of my friend was looking chain saw few weeks ago and it took for him after asking, around 4days to get one,,,

So i think it's all about how jelous your neighbours are and if they are willing to help you or not,,,

Do the electric ones have different permit requirements? I can see why they don't want a lot of chain saws floating around, but the electric ones seem a bit less useful as weapons.

I remember being told that you do not need a licence for electric one, but dont quote me on that. Maybe they allow them because of the lack of power points out in the middle of the scrub

And 2000thb fee in Khem,, sound's like falang fee already,, maybe he pay 200, but tell you 2000, so he can charge you dit more....

Only relating to what Ive been told. The price that he charged me for what he cut and milled was very cheap compared to the timber that I bought from other sources.

Thanks for the info.

I guess I'll have to hire. I have seen the speed at which some laborers work and what I can do in a day could take several for them. I don't have the time due to vacation involved and need to clear some land near Khemerat.

Maybe a bonus if he gets it done right and quick?

Thanks again,

BJ