Yingluck Shinawatra To Meet Queen On Britain Trip

webfact

"Velly goose to finally can mees you, Queen Elizabeth Taylor..."

Does anyone else have the impression that YS sometimes sounds like Jar Jar Binks when she speaks English?

I have a feeling that the PM of Thailand has a far better command of the English language than you do of the Thai language.

Misterwhisper's lack of command of the Thai language in this case is irrelevant.

He, I believe, was commenting on Prime Minister Yingluck's poor level of English, given the fact that

she studied English at Thai school & Chiang Mai University presumably to a level acceptable for her to pursue a Masters degree in Public Administration at Kentucky State University.

Giving her the benefit of the doubt, her English has either deteriorated or is of such a low level that she requires the services of a fully qualified translator.

Perhaps Mr Abhisit could be called upon to act as translator for the exchanges between Her Majesty the Queen and Ms Yingluck.

Queen Elizabeth is an extremely understanding monarch and will make the P.M. feel welcome, but maybe the conversation will only dwell on Hermes, Burberry & Fortnum's

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More recognition from the international community. Well done Yinluck. Yet another sad day for the bitter old men of TV.

Why old men of TV?

Normally the quote is "stupid is as stupid does". In this case it is "stupid is as stupid says". Some people do not have the ability to engage into a resonable debate so they use personal attacks. An old liberal MO. Attack the messenger not the message.

So in this case we just have to consider the sourse and move on.

• Like 2

Does anyone else have the impression that YS sometimes sounds like Jar Jar Binks when she speaks English?

I have a feeling that the PM of Thailand has a far better command of the English language than you do of the Thai language.

Misterwhisper's lack of command of the Thai language in this case is irrelevant.

He, I believe, was commenting on Prime Minister Yingluck's poor level of English, given the fact that

she studied English at Thai school & Chiang Mai University presumably to a level acceptable for her to pursue a Masters degree in Public Administration at Kentucky State University.

Giving her the benefit of the doubt, her English has either deteriorated or is of such a low level that she requires the services of a fully qualified translator.

Perhaps Mr Abhisit could be called upon to act as translator for the exchanges between Her Majesty the Queen and Ms Yingluck.

Queen Elizabeth is an extremely understanding monarch and will make the P.M. feel welcome, but maybe the conversation will only dwell on Hermes, Burberry & Fortnum's

I can assure you this. If the PM's English skills were the same when she supposedly attended KSU as they are today there is absolutely no way she could have obtained a Masters Degree in any subject.

• Like 1

I missed where he is claiming to have received a Masters Degree utilizing the Thai language from a university in Thailand.

Also he is not a PM.
  • Like 2

I look forward to Prince Philip's comments

Along the lines of "Do you work in a strip club?" :rolleyes:

or ..... 'What exotic part of the world are you from? 'Oh, you're the one who sent the letter. So, you can write then?'

She does miss a lot...

Yingluck, who has made 30 trips to 17 countries in her 14 months in power

Yes, but just what is she missing in parliament this week, that is so important that she should not go to see the Queen of England in her Diamond Jubilee Year?

One might think that there was at least something going on in her country during her 30 other excursions from it in the last 14 months.

But, then again, perhaps during all those trips, she's missed nothing that concerns her.

It's not like her presence here matters that much.

Oh, I just thought mosha might have been thinking of something specific seeing as he made a point of there being an event happening that she should attend. Perhaps he will tell us or perhaps not?

You obviously do not think a lot of her with your comment.Do you think her presence will matter during the confidence debate?

Given how many debates she has avoided. It would be par for the course. Like I said previously. I bet she signs the visitors book when attending parliament. Given that it's a serious matter, of course she should be there to lead the defence. However given she dodged the budget debate.....

Edited by Mosha

Oh I don't know. If you were a politician what would you rather do. Meet Queen Elizabeth or address the British peoples elected (non paid for votes) representatives?

Do you know who the ahem "elected" (non paid for votes) representatives are? Think the democrat party, but minus the snipers (so far anyway)

Edited by Sanctimonious

To be fair to Khun Yingluck her English language skills were never going to be crucial in her career progression within her brother's business empire.

And I doubt she'd even dreamed of being a politician, let alone a PM.

Oh I don't know. If you were a politician what would you rather do. Meet Queen Elizabeth or address the British peoples elected (non paid for votes) representatives?

Do you know who the ahem "elected" (non paid for votes) representatives are? Think the democrat party, but minus the snipers (so far anyway)

Not bought down here. They don't need to try that hard in the South

To be fair to Khun Yingluck her English language skills were never going to be crucial in her career progression within her brother's business empire.

And I doubt she'd even dreamed of being a politician, let alone a PM.

Will HM the Queen understands what PM Yingluck is talking about?

Fully agree, Khun Abhisit should be there as translator, it will show the reality of his position and make clear to all, who is boss.

I am sure he would do a good job and he might even enjoy the new experience of sleeping in the staff quarters.

Why don't you ask him to volunteer in order to help Thailand, in this dire moment of Prime Ministerial inability to speak properly..... ??

Edited by philw

What does that bring the people of Thailand?

Absolutely nothing, zilch, nada, niet, zero!

It seems to me that she is just taking full advantage of her position to travel the world in an attempt to widen her circle of contacts/friends so that when she is removed stands down other doors may be opened!

I do hope that our Sovereign Lady Queen Elizabeth the second counts her fingers to ensure she still has four fingers and a thumb left.after shaking hands with a Shinawatra.

Handshake-006.jpg

Edited by siampolee

I do hope that our Sovereign Lady Queen Elizabeth the second counts her fingers to ensure she still has four fingers and a thumb left.after shaking hands with a Shinawatra.

Handshake-006.jpg

if they drink tea together hopefully some staff counts the silver....

• Like 1

Handshake-006.jpg

if they drink tea together hopefully some staff counts the silver....

Joking yeah? Shinawatras could probably buy Buckingham Palace.

I'm sure knowing Thai is of massive benefit outside of Thailand. If it was an international language there might be some relevance to your post.

Representing Thailand internationally would need a good command of English

I am sure that H.M.Government has fully briefed Queen Elizabeth on PM Yingluck's situation. That she is the mouthpiece of her older brother Thaksin, in self imposed exile.

Protocol in action. Always the diplomat, she has seen Prime Ministers & Presidents come and go like leaves on the trees in her garden. She will smile, be polite, welcoming, and Yingluck will be impressed.

H.M. will also be aware that PM Yingluck's brother, Thaksin, is a man unwilling to return to his own country to face criminal charges levelled against him during his own party's governance.

(Politically motivated, of course)

Very true, I think the Queen is well practiced in avoiding any discussions of a political nature, this will be a courtesy meeting, (and no doubt HRH will be thinking that she has better things to do with her time).

Politics an commerce will be left for meetings with the PM and ministers.

I'm sure knowing Thai is of massive benefit outside of Thailand. If it was an international language there might be some relevance to your post.

Representing Thailand internationally would need a good command of English

Rubbish, it requires good translators, or are you under the impression that everybody speaks English?