Buying A Suit

chrisboyo

Interested in getting a new suit, but don't want to get ripped off from the normal tourist shops.

If anyone knows of a good shop in Bangkok or Pathumthani and can give a rough idea on cost that would be great.

If in the wrong section, please move.

Chris.

Well you are going to get what you pay for, so just buying a suit on cost is a no starter anyway.

I have used these guys on the few occasions I have needed a suit or a tux made, they are not the cheapest, but have always delivered pretty much exactly what they have sold me.

I'm a happy customer.

http://www.majestictailors.com/

Well i have bought two suits here in Dublin and one of them, i've had to take back twice due to the stitching coming apart and i paid over €200 each. Have no problems with spending good money for a suit, if it is what it is, good quality.

Thanks though, ill check out the website.

Chris.

I get all my suits and shirts from Tailor on Ten on Soi 8. They have a very good website with all the prices included. I usually go for the 16K suit which is excellent quality. The owner is Canadian and delivers what us asked from him. Have a look.

Whilst never having procured a suit there is a shop well known for providing clothing for embassies and oil company executives which would be my first stop having had some business shirts done there. Have also had some work clothing done there using Nomex for offshore after another tailor made a mess of it and had to be done urgently. Very happy with the service is my only connection to the place.

The shop is Raja's and was in Sukhumvit Soi4, but has recently moved to Sukhumvit Rd between Sois 6 and 8.

If I was in the market for a suit they would be my preferred tailor.

http://www.rajasfashions.com/index.php

Cheers

Raja's is very good, but make exactly sure of what you want, and the material you want. If you can find a picture of what you want that is very good to have, even if it is a small picture from a magazine they can copy it. Raja's is one of the old school tailor shops, having started up during the Vietnam war selling to soldiers outside the different air bases, many of whom are still costumers. The kids now run the shops as dad has retired.

One important thing to remember, don't buy the special you see. Be very specific on what you want, the material you want it made from, the number of pockets, inside pockets on the suit jacket, hidden pockets, the cut, double stitched, the lapels, how many buttons, back pockets on the pants, pleats, or not, how much padding in the shoulders, the lining to use, etc. Half lining in the pant is very good to have. They do not assume anything so be exact on what you want, that is why a picture is good to show, and give them. Also get as many fittings as necessary, one will usually do it as the actual tailors are very good, they live, and work on the block behind my apartment.

Plan on spending over $200US if you want a real good suit, and a nice cashmere overcoat is a smart accessory to top it off with if in a cold climate.

Edited by koolbreez