Israeli Who Murdered Ex-Wife In Thailand Pardoned

webfact

Man who murdered ex-wife in Thailand pardoned

Israeli man convicted of murdering and dismembering ex-wife released from prison, slated to return to Israel in six months. 'I'd rather die than see him again' says victim's mother

Aviel Magnezi

BANGKOK: -- Eli Cohen, who was convicted of murdering his ex-wife Carol Cohen, dismembering her body and dumping the parts in a suitcase in a Bangkok canal in 2004, will be released from a Thai prison in six months, Foreign Ministry officials confirmed on Monday.

Having been originally sentenced to life in prison, Cohen has recently received a clemency from the King of Thailand. He cannot be put on trial again as he has already been tried and convicted of murder.

Carol's family said in response that they would do everything in their power to prevent Cohen's return to Israel. "I'd rather die than see the person who cut my daughter in pieces and threw her into the river," Carol's mother Rivkah Amsalem said.

The couple decided to end their marriage over Cohen's desire to move to Australia. Several months after leaving Israel, he invited his ex-wife to meet him in Thailand and the two met there in February 2004.

Full story: http://www.ynetnews....4304650,00.html

-- ynetnews 2012-11-13

footer_n.gif

A man who cannot control his mind and acting towards it, is defected as a biological human being and unsuited to live as part of our society. The guy should be exterminated in a flash or kept isolated.

Right. This grub has obviously pre planned his crime by inviting his ex-wife to Thailand for the sole purpose of murdering her. Then cuts her up in an attempt to conceal his crime. It is a classic case of premeditated, aggravated murder and he gets a pardon ??? bah.gif What have the gods got to say about this ?? blink.png

• Like 1

A man who cannot control his mind and acting towards it, is defected as a biological human being and unsuited to live as part of our society. The guy should be exterminated in a flash or kept isolated.

Right. This grub has obviously pre planned his crime by inviting his ex-wife to Thailand for the sole purpose of murdering her. Then cuts her up in an attempt to conceal his crime. It is a classic case of premeditated, aggravated murder and he gets a pardon ??? bah.gif What have the gods got to say about this ?? blink.png

What have the gods got to say about this ?? blink.png Nothing, as ever.

I'm at a loss for words. I feel bad for the Victim's family but I'm trying to "read between the lines" here. What is the reasoning for officials in Thailand allowing this to happen? What do they have to say? I've heard all the ridiculous explanations for the farang "suicides" and the shabby investigations that go along with murders and "accidental deaths" but this one? The guy admitted to a gruesome murder and gets only 8 years! I want to see someone stand in front of a camera with reporters and give an explanation for this one. If there is someone to do this they should be locked up along with this guy.

I for one totally agree - can't even imagine the mind of a nut case like this. To release him is putting others in danger for sure. Lese Majeste gets 18 years and murder get's 9 and pardoned? blink.png

False comparison, LM cases are usually pardoned quickly and wouldn't last close to 9 years. Can't compare maximum sentence of one crime with only time served of another.

• Like 1

I'm at a loss for words. I feel bad for the Victim's family but I'm trying to "read between the lines" here. What is the reasoning for officials in Thailand allowing this to happen? What do they have to say? I've heard all the ridiculous explanations for the farang "suicides" and the shabby investigations that go along with murders and "accidental deaths" but this one? The guy admitted to a gruesome murder and gets only 8 years! I want to see someone stand in front of a camera with reporters and give an explanation for this one. If there is someone to do this they should be locked up along with this guy.

It's a Royal Pardon - officials will keep their opinions to themselves.

• Like 1

Whats worse drugs or murder, dealing drugs carries the death penalty.

I think it more depends on what or who you are as to how severe they think one's crime is. If some poor un-educated hilltribe dude pulled this sort of crime I doubt he would be turned loose after 8 years.

A pardon is the forgiveness of a crime and the cancellation of the relevant penalty; it is usually granted by a head of state or by acts of a parliament or a religious authority.

Does this mean that his conviction is squashed also? I hope he still doesn't have plans to make his way to Australia as we already have our quota of murderers and other associated scum bags.

Having read the story I feel that the murder was premeditated and horrific as such I agree with the posts.

However I am willing to bet that when this story and the story of the husbands arrest originally 'broke' there were tons of posts along the lines of, 'See how he likes it in a Thai prison' etc etc thinking (quite rightly) that a 'life sentence' in a Thai prison is more of a punishment than say 'life' in an Israeli prison.

Now he has managed to use the system and gained his release you can't complain, I am not saying it's right but you are tied by the laws of the country.

I for one totally agree - can't even imagine the mind of a nut case like this. To release him is putting others in danger for sure. Lese Majeste gets 18 years and murder get's 9 and pardoned? blink.png

False comparison, LM cases are usually pardoned quickly and wouldn't last close to 9 years. Can't compare maximum sentence of one crime with only time served of another.

I am comparing the length of the sentence. Some murder cases in Thailand have been given 10 years after a pay off to the family of victims. Some get out in 7. But in the case of LM 18 is not uncommon and that was the comparison. Hope that clears it.

The statement He cannot be put on trial again as he has already been tried and convicted of murder.is incomplete. Mr. Cohen can indeed face criminal and civil charges in Israel. A conviction by a foreign court does not preclude charges being brought by the national's home country. Appreciably, in this case, there is a chance that the Thai government proceeded with the pardon after discussions with Israel. There may have been legitimate reasons for the pardon, particularly if the Israelis were of the view that a continuing incarceration would serve no purpose.

As no one here has any inkling of Mr. Cohen's mental or physical health. If the man is now a mental basket case or has a physical ailment, the pardon may be the most appropriate decision.

On the other hand, with the extent of corruption in Israel, it would not surprise me to see impropriety on the part of the implicated Israeli cabinet minister. If the cabinet minister is dirty, the Israeli press will get him though. They always seem to be able to nail their politicians.

He bought his wife a one-way plane ticket, murdered her and then dismembering the body all in the heat of the moment. What a crock of s—t.

WTH is going on here?

He maybe Israeli, but this story doesn’t appear kosher to me. Some shady wheeling and dealing has gone on behind the scenes.

• Like 2