Stranded Baby Bird

Tywais

When I got home my wife rushed me to look at something. It was a baby bird that had fallen out of our tree. We can't locate the nest and don't know what to do now, she is quite concerned - ok so am I. Never had luck with them surviving at that young of age before. He is drinking quite vigorously but don't know where to take it from here. She put it in one of our hanging flower pots and put it in the tree hoping the mother will show up. Any suggestions? Would prefer not hear 'leave it to nature' as that would upset the wife.

Also, it's quite large but yet quite young as it barely can open its eyes and the unusual beak nearly like a ducks. Any ideas what it is?

post-566-0-06480800-1352800069_thumb.jpg post-566-0-92392300-1352800077_thumb.jpg post-566-0-94596900-1352800086_thumb.jpg

It is a baby pigeon or dove, most likely a pigeon. It is about 8 to 10 days old. They eat grain and are normally vegetarians but at that age it is still being fed a mixture of grain and pigeon milk whiuch is made by both parents.

Pigeons don't build nests like other birds, normally the nest just consists of sticks , and grass placed in a hollow of a roof or any place usually out of the way where it feels safe. .

Normally there are 2 young so look around for a pigeon flying into anywhere that it may have it's nest. You should be able to also hear the other squeaker making noises when it is being fed. The nest will be very close to where you found it as it can't walk. It won't be in a tree.

They are fed by the adult opening their beak and the young bird (squeaker) putting their beak inside their parents beak and their parents pump the food into them. The only way you can feed is would be opening its beak and putting the food in or it will starve to death. Maybe you could try bread moistened with water. Once you get the food into its beak it maybe get it down. You may be even able to stick some grain in its beak and down it's throat. It won't start to be able to start eating on it's own for at least another week. It will start to fly when it is about 4 weeks old.

Pigeons like, dried peas, wheat amongst many other grains. But here in Thailand they will eat pretty much what ever it can.

I just did a search and found this.

Edited by aussiebrian

It is a baby pigeon or dove, most likely a pigeon. It is about 8 to 10 days old. They eat grain and are normally vegetarians but at that age it is still being fed a mixture of grain and pigeon milk whiuch is made by both parents.

Pigeons don't build nests like other birds, normally the nest just consists of sticks , and grass places in a hollow of a roof or any place usually out of the way where it feels safe. .

Normally there are 2 young so look around for a pigeon flying into anywhere that it may have it's nest. You should be able to also hear the other squeaker making noises when it is being fed. The nest will be very close to where you found it as it can't walk. It won't be in a tree.

They are fed by the adult opening their beak and the young bird (squeaker) putting their beak inside their parents beak and their parents pump the food into them. The only way you can feed is would be opening its beak and putting the food in or it will starve to death. Maybe you could try bread moistened with water. Once you get the food into its beak it maybe get it down. You may be even able to stick some grain in its beak and down it's throat. It won't start to be able to start eating on it's own for at least another week. It will start to fly when it is about 4 weeks old.

Pigeons like, dried peas, wheat amongst many other grains. But here in Thailand they will eat pretty much what ever it can.

The beak looks a bit small to be a squeaker, but the rest of him does look like one. I would suggest that the op be very careful, as feral pigeons have similar diseases to rats, so wear gloves. As for advise, the OP already stated not to give the advice that I would give, so better not to give it.

Thanks aussiebrian, great info. Pigeon or Dove was my first thought as they are abundant around our area. Well, my wife went out a little while after my post to check on it and it was covered with ants. She had placed it in a wooden box like you use for growing orchids and hung it in the tree with the wire hanger but they managed to find it quickly. She brought it in an gave it a 'bath' which I can't believe is a good idea but we are both flying blind regarding handling.

Thanks for the heads up I Like Thai, wasn't aware of that issue. In some ways I wish she had left it alone as she will feel bad if it doesn't make it (ok, so will I). As I mentioned never had success trying to salvage any that young. Did have good luck with some Thai owls but they were full feathered but not quite flight worthy.

After breeding racing pigeons for 15 years, I can guarantee it is a pigeon and they may have some diseases but all living creatures may carry diseases but nothing like a would rat carry. One I know of is Coccidiosis, but unless you are breathing in the dust from it's poop over long periods of time you won't catch it, especially from touching it. Most pigeon diseases aren't transmitted to people. I wouldn't worry about wearing gloves, there is much more chance of catching a disease from "I like Thai" than from the baby pigeon.

Of course wash your hands after you have been handling it just like you would if you had been touching any animal or shaking hands with "I like Thai" or any one else. I can tell you that the previous poster may like Thai, but doesn't like pigeons. He would tell you that a pigeon is a flying rat, that is why they have similar diseases to rats..

If he is going by the size of it's beak, which is a normal size for a feral pigeon there are many fancy breeds of pigeon referred to as being short faced with almost no beak. http://www.google.co...iw=1366&bih=645

There are pigeon fanciers in Thailand who not only have racing pigeons but fancy breeds.

Pigeons don't nest in trees, unless there is a hollow or very secure place to lay eggs and bring up young so if you put it in the tree, it will fall out.

Pigeons don't build nests like other birds, normally the nest just consists of sticks , and grass places in a hollow of a roof or any place usually out of the way where it feels safe. .

The beak looks a bit small to be a squeaker, but the rest of him does look like one. I would suggest that the op be very careful, as feral pigeons have similar diseases to rats, so wear gloves. As for advise, the OP already stated not to give the advice that I would give, so better not to give it.

Edited by aussiebrian
  • Like 1

My wife is way ahead of me. She's a very skillful Googler and found the exact match of the baby down to the beak and fuzz and it is a Dove. Started to explain what to feed it and regarding viruses - 'I know already, wash my hands everytime'. biggrin.png Also, she knows already from her Googling it's not from a tree. Sometimes she surprises me that her computer skills goes beyond Facebook. wink.png

Exact match of the below picture of a Dove, fuzz and all.

baby-dove-day-2-300x225.jpg

http://www.thegardeningblog.co.za/barbies-garden/baby-dove-is-doing-well/

• Like 1

Unless there is food left in the nest, left in an ant trail, or it is dead, ants shouldn't bother it. Put it in a bowl with something like straw as a nesting material. Put the bowl in a cardboard box and maybe you can keep it inside or somewhere where another animal eg cat or dog can't get it. If you can feed it for the next 10 or 15 days then when it can fly it will stay around and can be very tame.

Racing pigeons can come back to their home from 700 miles or more in 1 day. It will have a homing instinct but not as refined as a racing pigeon will. So may be hard to get rid of it when it can fly. You may end up with a friend for 15 years. Message me if you want any more information,

It is a pigeon not a dove. Never seen a picture of a baby dove, so I can say it is a pigeon. Pigeons and doves are almost the same but doves are smaller. The yellow fuzz is called down, as it gets older it looses it but some will stay with it till it is about 4 or 5 weeks old.

Edited by aussiebrian
  • Like 1

Well, sad news, he didn't survive the night. I suspect the ants may have been the main reason. When she first found it ants were already having a go at him. After she hung it up in the basket in the tree by a 30cm thin steel wire they managed to find him as there were large numbers coming down the wire and covering him and was badly bitten before she could retrieve him. sad.png

Well, sad news, he didn't survive the night. I suspect the ants may have been the main reason. When she first found it ants were already having a go at him. After she hung it up in the basket in the tree by a 30cm thin steel wire they managed to find him as there were large numbers coming down the wire and covering him and was badly bitten before she could retrieve him. sad.png

Sorry to hear this !! sad.png

After breeding racing pigeons for 15 years, I can guarantee it is a pigeon and they may have some diseases but all living creatures may carry diseases but nothing like a would rat carry. One I know of is Coccidiosis, but unless you are breathing in the dust from it's poop over long periods of time you won't catch it, especially from touching it. Most pigeon diseases aren't transmitted to people. I wouldn't worry about wearing gloves, there is much more chance of catching a disease from "I like Thai" than from the baby pigeon.

Of course wash your hands after you have been handling it just like you would if you had been touching any animal or shaking hands with "I like Thai" or any one else. I can tell you that the previous poster may like Thai, but doesn't like pigeons. He would tell you that a pigeon is a flying rat, that is why they have similar diseases to rats..

If he is going by the size of it's beak, which is a normal size for a feral pigeon there are many fancy breeds of pigeon referred to as being short faced with almost no beak. http://www.google.co...iw=1366&bih=645

There are pigeon fanciers in Thailand who not only have racing pigeons but fancy breeds.

Pigeons don't nest in trees, unless there is a hollow or very secure place to lay eggs and bring up young so if you put it in the tree, it will fall out.

I have bred and raced racing pigeons for over 30 years, there has been racing pigeons in a loft at my home since before I was born. You do the sport of Pigeon racing no favours when you liken feral pigeons to racers.

Feral pigeons do carry a range of nasty diseases. Do you know anyone that has contracted Weil's disease. More commonly associated with rats, it is also passed on by Pigeons. It is a nasty disease difficult to diagnose and can be fatal.

Feral pigeons should be treated as flying rats.

Sad.