Death Of A British Citizen In Thailand

mallet36

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dealt with the death of a fellow Brit last year, cant for the life of me see where you get anywhere near a 70k bill ??? for what ??

Inform the Embassy, inform the local Police a death has occurred. Keep the body in an appropriate place until further WRITTEN instructions from the British Embassy or consulate official. DO NOT make any attempt to dispose of the remains until directed to do so or you will be in serious trouble.

Maybe Medical Bill? We dont know all the facts, the OP should ignore anything from TVers other than getting legal advice from Uk Embassy

well that is exactly what all the TVers seem to be saying, do what the British Embassy suggests not anything else. It is the OP who seems to be looking to do something else!

LIKE WHAT?? YOU ARE AMERICAN FOR SURE OR HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THAILAND he was my best friend for over 7 years I want nothing from this tragedy only some good advice,but not from YOU so go away!!!!

You cannot cremate him without a certificate from the amphur which will not be given without a letter from the embassy,

The temple are going to cremate him on Thursday with nothing from the Embassy, that is what worries me we have nothing. He worked at our school the longest for foriegn teachers and has always told everyone he has no family. WHAT CAN WE DO. Thursday is the last day 4pm

Dear wordchild we are not going to try to take money from his account but as said the money we have collected is fast running out so who will pay the Britsh Embassy, I really don,t think so.His long term girlfriend will need to go to court to get his assets as thet weren't legally married

Why should his girlfriend be allowed to take a dead man's money,incredible!How can you make such an outrageous statement?

You also want to cremate him without allowing the British Embassy to see if he has next of kin,to repatriate his remains to?

This story stinks,there is something very wrong going on here!

I somewhat doubt a cunning plan to grab a dead mans assets would be floated here for comments or improvement from our local Baldricks.

Thank you Rancid, no cunning plan I loved him as a friend and his assets were about 100,000 baht in the bank and a nice European car ( well ok ) no house or land or anything like that

well that is exactly what all the TVers seem to be saying, do what the British Embassy suggests not anything else. It is the OP who seems to be looking to do something else!

LIKE WHAT?? YOU ARE AMERICAN FOR SURE OR HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THAILAND he was my best friend for over 7 years I want nothing from this tragedy only some good advice,but not from YOU so go away!!!!

Never mind the suspicious gits - but no idea what being American has got to do with anything.

I am very sorry for your loss and your boss' troubles, but most of us here are sincerely trying to help you with good advice.

Lots of people tell everyone around them they have no family but once the proper searching has been done, notices posted in the papers etc sometimes a different story emerges.

Regarding his bills and his assets here in Thailand, that will need to be dealt with under Thai law. It appears there is no way for you to do anything with his body legally without approval from the embassy.

It is very likely that his "common-law wife" will have little or no rights in any of it.

But she does have our sympathies, best of luck to you all.

• Like 1

If the Embassy say that you can't do this then you must stop the cremation.

And do what? He died on Saturday night, leave his body where?? Outside the British embassy on the pavement. I don,t think so. He has told us he has now family in the world, we were his only family at our school, what can we do?

And do what? He died on Saturday night, leave his body where?? Outside the British embassy on the pavement. I don,t think so. He has told us he has now family in the world, we were his only family at our school, what can we do?

" what can we do?"

Stop winding folk up...

Go ahead cremate him ...

I understand you're are grieving but many here at telling you what to do and you keep ignoring and asking over again. I assume his body is in the morgue right. Best he be left there until the embassy has given instructions on what is the next step. If there are plans to cremate him now, they should definitely be postponed till the embassy gives the ok too proceed.

Deepest condolences on the loss of your friend and co worker.

Never mind the suspicious gits - but no idea what being American has got to do with anything.

I am very sorry for your loss and your boss' troubles, but most of us here are sincerely trying to help you with good advice.

Lots of people tell everyone around them they have no family but once the proper searching has been done, notices posted in the papers etc sometimes a different story emerges.

Regarding his bills and his assets here in Thailand, that will need to be dealt with under Thai law. It appears there is no way for you to do anything with his body legally without approval from the embassy.

It is very likely that his "common-law wife" will have little or no rights in any of it.

But she does have our sympathies, best of luck to you all.

Thank you for some nice resectful help, but the funerel is going ahead on Thursday so I have been told, the embassy want nothing to do with it.

I understand you're are grieving but many here at telling you what to do and you keep ignoring and asking over again. I assume his body is in the morgue right. Best he be left there until the embassy has given instructions on what is the next step. If there are plans to cremate him now, they should definitely be postponed till the embassy gives the ok too proceed.

I am listening, and no his body is at the temple now waiting to be cremated on Thursday

If the hospital released his body to you and he was picked up by the Temple, then there is nothing for you to do exept go thursday and say goodbye to your friend, it ends there so nothing for you to worry about after that.

In the UK if she was in a long term relationship she wquld be considered a Common Law wife and fully entitled.

UK law does not recognise 'common law' marriages.

Technically not entirely true!

It's recognized if it can be proven that they have been cohabiting with habit and repute in Scotland ever since the days prior to the enactment of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006.

OK - UK law excluding Scotland does not recognise 'common law' marriages. It only recognises 'proper' marriages and civil partnerships.

Common Law Marriages in the UK have been something of a modern day Myth,and where abolished in England since:1753.

Edited by MAJIC

I am listening, and no his body is at the temple now waiting to be cremated on Thursday

No offense but it sounds like you are not in a position to do anything other than observe. It was kind of you to reach out to see what was the right thing to do but if you are not the one in control I'm afraid there is little else you can do.

Quite surprised the embassy would tell you they want nothing to do with it. But I guess that's a discussion for another thread.

YES his body is there at body his waiting for cramation on Thursday

No offense but it sounds like you are not in a position to do anything other than observe. It was kind of you to reach out to see what was the right thing to do but if you are not the one in control I'm afraid there is little else you can do.

Quite surprised the embassy would tell you they want nothing to do with it. But I guess that's a discussion for another thread.

British Embassy, yes you are right I have no control over anything only trying to get help and good advice

YES his body is there at body his waiting for cramation on Thursday

We understand. He will be cremated on Thursday.

I don't think there is anything more we can do for you from here.

Maybe if you sleep on it and re-read the constructive comments within the replies you will understand what the reality of the situation is.

Regarding his debts and assets, that will need to be sorted by the Thai authorities, whether or not the embassy is able to locate any next of kin.

His girlfriend will most likely not have any rights to any of his property at all regardless.

I dealt with the death of a fellow Brit last year, cant for the life of me see where you get anywhere near a 70k bill ??? for what ??

Inform the Embassy, inform the local Police a death has occurred. Keep the body in an appropriate place until further WRITTEN instructions from the British Embassy or consulate official. DO NOT make any attempt to dispose of the remains until directed to do so or you will be in serious trouble.

We have done that but our friend has been with us for over 8 years and always told us he doesn't have any living relatives the bill has come from over 6 weeks in a very expensive hospital and the temple and coffin and funeral costs. Don't shoot the messenger I get my info from my boss.

I'm very sorry about your friend, and about your loss and his girlfriend's loss.

Banking laws are similar throughout the civilized world so that banks can do international business with each other. Withdrawing money from an ATM is the same as writing a check or a withdrawal slip on the account. It must be done by someone who's authorized on the account. Anything else by someone else and especially after the owner is deceased would be fraud. It could be nothing other than someone pretending to be that owner when in fact he has passed!

The same would be for signing over the papers to a car. It would have to be a forgery, easily proven because the owner is deceased!

There are laws in every civilized country which dictate what happens when someone dies without a will. Also, how is it to be known that he didn't leave a will with an attorney or someone, and if so in what country? Would it be valid in LOS?

I say outright that I have no heirs and no family. I will always say that even to my children who are grown, living in the US, but who are drunks and drug abusers and have stolen from me! I disown them and I will tell you I have no remaining family. But under the law if I didn't have a will, my assets would go to my (former) children!

Don't just jump in and take matters into your own hands. Don't touch the money or the vehicle. It's a matter of law what happens to that and you could wind up in jail.

Finally, I don't understand why you believe you are responsible for that man's debts. I don't know Thai law on how debts get settled, but in most civilized countries creditors place a claim against the estate. I just don't know about that one.

Be careful, and again I'm sorry for your loss.

Wise man, but yes the UK embassy want nothing to do with it, he left the UK many years ago and has never been back, but what can we do ?

We have done that but our friend has been with us for over 8 years and always told us he doesn't have any living relatives the bill has come from over 6 weeks in a very expensive hospital and the temple and coffin and funeral costs. Don't shoot the messenger I get my info from my boss.

I'm very sorry about your friend, and about your loss and his girlfriend's loss.

Banking laws are similar throughout the civilized world so that banks can do international business with each other. Withdrawing money from an ATM is the same as writing a check or a withdrawal slip on the account. It must be done by someone who's authorized on the account. Anything else by someone else and especially after the owner is deceased would be fraud. It could be nothing other than someone pretending to be that owner when in fact he has passed!

The same would be for signing over the papers to a car. It would have to be a forgery, easily proven because the owner is deceased!

There are laws in every civilized country which dictate what happens when someone dies without a will. Also, how is it to be known that he didn't leave a will with an attorney or someone, and if so in what country? Would it be valid in LOS?

I say outright that I have no heirs and no family. I will always say that even to my children who are grown, living in the US, but who are drunks and drug abusers and have stolen from me! I disown them and I will tell you I have no remaining family. But under the law if I didn't have a will, my assets would go to my (former) children!

Don't just jump in and take matters into your own hands. Don't touch the money or the vehicle. It's a matter of law what happens to that and you could wind up in jail.

Finally, I don't understand why you believe you are responsible for that man's debts. I don't know Thai law on how debts get settled, but in most civilized countries creditors place a claim against the estate. I just don't know about that one.

Be careful, and again I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you,but no debts and he was alone in life, no kids or anyone. I happens to a few of us

Wise man, but yes the UK embassy want nothing to do with it, he left the UK many years ago and has never been back, but what can we do ?

Mallet36, I really am sorry for your loss. In a way you sound almost panicked about the financial situation, just to me. However, settling an estate always takes time and sometimes a long time. Please slow down. Unless a will is found, no one is entitled to any of the estate right now and you may wait a very long time for a decision about what happens to it.

Concern yourself with your grieving and with the funeral and the girlfriend and other friends. It is a time for grieving. As the grieving passes with time, the estate will be dealt with.

• Like 1

Thank you,but no debts and he was alone in life, no kids or anyone. I happens to a few of us

Well, you mentioned some care bills and some school friends chipping in so...

Still, if you can understand that the money in the bank and the car is out of your hands you will perhaps relax a little. There is not much worse emotionally than to have our minds race around trying to control something which we have no control over.

• Like 1

Dear wordchild we are not going to try to take money from his account but as said the money we have collected is fast running out so who will pay the Britsh Embassy, I really don,t think so.His long term girlfriend will need to go to court to get his assets as thet weren't legally married

Why should his girlfriend be allowed to take a dead man's money,incredible!How can you make such an outrageous statement?

You also want to cremate him without allowing the British Embassy to see if he has next of kin,to repatriate his remains to?

This story stinks,there is something very wrong going on here!

Not to be crass but why would people donate to someone who has money? I surely wouldnt.

Does seem odd op says thing about giving pin number to boss.

Edited by cheechoo

you know. Lots of people say stuff that arent true.

Really , just let your boss deal with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No offense but you are arguing with people here on a forum..........................lol.

Mallet36, I really am sorry for your loss. In a way you sound almost panicked about the financial situation, just to me. However, settling an estate always takes time and sometimes a long time. Please slow down. Unless a will is found, no one is entitled to any of the estate right now and you may wait a very long time for a decision about what happens to it.

Concern yourself with your grieving and with the funeral and the girlfriend and other friends. It is a time for grieving. As the grieving passes with time, the estate will be dealt with.

Wise words from a wise man I think you are. Thank you for your kind words, and yes nothing to do with me, but I care

Don't forget that your friend's debts belong to his estate as well as any assets he had. No-one apart from the estate has any responsibility to pay any of those debts.

Exactly, just say goodbye and remember him well...the buzzards will come and go, not you`re problem or his,,,