Riding In Bangkok

dayo

• 2 weeks later...

Along Sukhumvit (heading towards Samrong) to Bang Na intersection, turn right at the intersection and head down Sampawuth Road as far as you can go. At the temple by the river take the ferry across the river for 5 Baht (ferry is for foot traffic, motorbikes and pushbikes only). Cycle around in the greenery of Bang Krachao to your hearts content and then retrace steps back home. On Saturday and Sunday there is a market (worth a visit) that brings in mainly Thai tourist traffic, but other than that it is peaceful, apart from a few dogs which do not like bikes. You do not even feel you are in Bangkok or its environs. Lovely place and the people are really friendly - especially to cyclists which they are trying to promote the area to.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

For favorite routes check out the OSM bicycle map, all the blue lines are pretty nice for riding. Personally i like the elevated concrete pathways along the klongs all over Bangkok, specially east towards Suv. airport.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=13.690595626831055&layers=C&lon=100.5748987197876&zoom=14

Nice to see OSM cyclemap growing in BKK. It still needs helping hands who are willing to collect data and/or map it. Still a lot to do in Thailand :)

If someone do not know OSM but is interested: Have a look at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page

Well if you head to the north of the city, its accessible courtesy of KampengPhet 6, that's the side road to Vipawadi Rangsit. 4 lanes, little traffic and quite a few things to see, good surface as well. It will take you all the way from the backside of Mo Chit Mai to Rangsit and beyond. I always see lots of cyclists on it as Vipawadi takes 90% of the traffic. Very nice road to cycle along. Basically, its the other side of the train tracks to Vipawadi.

I will have to try out some of those routes on the OSM cycle map. There are a couple down Onnut that would be an interesting diversion on my way to Chachoengsao. Hopefully it will be cloudy next Saturday or Sunday. Yesterday was a bit too hot so stuck with Bang Krachao.