Many Tall Buildings In Bangkok Lack Specific Anti-Quake Features

webfact

Many tall buildings lack anti-quake

THANATPONG KONGSAI,

JANJIRA PONGRAI

THE NATION

30194279-01_big.jpg

About 2,000 tall buildings in Bangkok do not have specific anti-quake features installed but can endure minor quakes.

BANGKOK: -- "They are designed to deal with wind load and shear stress, so they can withstand moderate quakes," Winai Limsakul, chief of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administra-tion's Public Works Department, said yesterday.

All buildings constructed before the Building Control Act went into effect in 2007 were not required to have quake-proof designs, he said.

The Department of Public Works and Town and Country Planning was working on regulations for these old buildings to add the protective features.

Deputy City Clerk Jumpol Sampaopon assured the public that they were safe from seismic activity.

"Bangkok is far away from earthquake zones," he said.

Amorn Pimanmas, executive director of the Engineering Institute of Thailand (EIT), said old buildings in Bangkok should be able to accommodate moderate oscillations. However, in case of a magnitude 8.0 earthquake in Myanmar's Sagaing Fault, they could be damaged.

On Sunday, a 6.8-magnitude quake on the Sagaing Fault caused casualties in Myanmar. Even though it was 1,200 kilometres away, it was felt in Bangkok.

That showed that buildings in Bangkok should be structured to deal with earthquakes, he said.

Authorities could introduce measures such as tax incentives to encourage the owners of old buildings to reinforce them.

"The focus should be on hospitals and public buildings taller than 10 storeys or more," he added.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Preecha Rengsomboonsuk said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had ordered authorities to come up with an improved and integrated earthquake-response plan.

"For example, all high-rises should have instructions posted on what people should do in the event of a quake," he said.

Lerdsin Raksasakunwong, a senior official of the Mineral Resources Department, said a building that can last through one minute of vibrations is considered safe enough.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-14

This article and many previous, only talk about the structure itself.

What about the millions of little red bricks stacked 3 or 4 meters high to build the interior walls,with absolutely no reinforcing. These walls are built rigidly between floors with no place to go in a shaking event.

Several tons of of these little red bricks toppling over on to your bed while you are sleeping, is very real and scary thought.

• Like 1

Shoulda, coulda.

Wasn't aware Bangkok was 'far away' from Myanmar (seismic-wise). Anyhow, the Deputy City Clerk says there's nothing to worry about (because an improved and integrated response plan is to be discussed sometime in the future, just in case)

The article doesn't even mention the fact that Bangkok is built on a swamp and that liquefaction is most likely to occur if there is any decent sized quake in the area.

Exactly. The area of greatest damage in the last sizable San Francisco quake was down toward the bay on filled land where they said liquefaction had occured.

Edited by Longtooth

The article doesn't even mention the fact that Bangkok is built on a swamp and that liquefaction is most likely to occur if there is any decent sized quake in the area.

Exactly. The area of greatest damage in the last sizable San Francisco quake was down toward the bay on filled land where they said liquefaction had occured.

I have a house in Santa Cruz, the epicenter of that quake. It did some pretty major damage many miles away. At first I couldn't believe the epicenter was so close to me, with all the damage I saw up in the SF Bay area.

This article and many previous, only talk about the structure itself.

What about the millions of little red bricks stacked 3 or 4 meters high to build the interior walls,with absolutely no reinforcing. These walls are built rigidly between floors with no place to go in a shaking event.

Several tons of of these little red bricks toppling over on to your bed while you are sleeping, is very real and scary thought.

And then just think about the shortcuts on the mortar. Save a satang here and there at the expense of "standards."

Why has there nothing been done for the 900 she let die? Add an earthquake to the lack of quality building materials and construction techniques and you have a disaster waiting to happen.

*sarcasm on* Yes, because we all know Yingluck's superhero power is she can command flood waters to recede! And her other superpower that tingle her spidey sense when any construction worker uses substandard materials! *sarcasm off*

Come on, next you are going to say that presidents of certain countries have the ability to control fuel prices set by private businesses.

• Like 1

We moved out of our 20th floor condo in Bangkok after the floods and I'm glad we did, we felt 2 very minor quakes whilst there over the years, let's face it, even the fastest of us aren't getting down that amount of stairs and I sure as hell aren't getting in the elevator. II know you can't plan for every eventuality but no more 20th floors for me, an no more Bangkok, 7 years was plenty.

I have a house in Santa Cruz, the epicenter of that quake. It did some pretty major damage many miles away. At first I couldn't believe the epicenter was so close to me, with all the damage I saw up in the SF Bay area.

Are you two writing about the 1989 quake? I was in Livermore for that one.

Why has there nothing been done for the 900 she let die? Add an earthquake to the lack of quality building materials and construction techniques and you have a disaster waiting to happen.

*sarcasm on* Yes, because we all know Yingluck's superhero power is she can command flood waters to recede! And her other superpower that tingle her spidey sense when any construction worker uses substandard materials! *sarcasm off*

Come on, next you are going to say that presidents of certain countries have the ability to control fuel prices set by private businesses.

She tingles?
  • Like 1

Are you two writing about the 1989 quake? I was in Livermore for that one.

Yes.

"Are you two writing about the 1989 quake? I was in Livermore for that one."

"Yes."

^^^^

If, as some here have written, Bangkok high rises lack earthquake resistant construction, then there may be tens of thousands dead and injured in a similar earthquake. Perhaps 100's of thousands.

By the way, I thought the epicenter for the 1989 earthquake was in Watsonville.

As much as like to bash a little: earthquake- safe? Seriously, guys?

Just because there was an earthquake in Myanmar a few days ago, suddenly we get the idea to make things "earthquake"- safe?

I guess, my hometown of Hamburg Germany has many buildings, who are not earthquake- safe, because...there are no earthquakes!

Here in the area, we have minor quakes every whatsoever- years, so an earthquake would be my smallest fear, compared to general non existing safety- standards for material or construction.

As long as a badly insulated wire can cause a blaze and find myself trapped by a locked or blocked fire- exit, an earthquake doe not really bother me so much!

• Like 1

As much as like to bash a little: earthquake- safe? Seriously, guys?

Just because there was an earthquake in Myanmar a few days ago, suddenly we get the idea to make things "earthquake"- safe?

I guess, my hometown of Hamburg Germany has many buildings, who are not earthquake- safe, because...there are no earthquakes!

Here in the area, we have minor quakes every whatsoever- years, so an earthquake would be my smallest fear, compared to general non existing safety- standards for material or construction.

As long as a badly insulated wire can cause a blaze and find myself trapped by a locked or blocked fire- exit, an earthquake doe not really bother me so much!

your right, with other safety standards non existant i think the need to look at their priorities .