Wired Internet Connection For Multiple Rooms

sitti

Hello,

We have recently moved to Bangkok, and are getting ready to move to new home. We need to get real internet connection at new home instead of using tethering from smartphone.

There will be multiple computers in 3 different rooms and each room requires wired internet connection, not sharing connection via Wi-Fi router throughout the house. Each room will have router to share connections with multiple devices. Back in the US, we were using Verizon FiOS. Technician came in to lay down LAN cable for all three rooms. Is there any internet provider in thailand that provides LAN port installation in multiple rooms? Or do we need to get 3 separate lines?

Thank you

The first thing you will need to find out is which ISP (s) service the area in which your house is and what is the maximum speeds they offer. For instance where we live only TOT service our moo baan so we are stuck with their lousy 7mb and it's pretty rare it get's anything like that.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't go with wifi because the performance you will achieve won't be any different than if you were hard-wired. All the traffic has to go through the one modem either way provided you have only one line in. If you are concerned with a weak wifi signal in parts of the house you could install booster wifi stations. This is called a Wireless Distribution Service (WDS) (http://www.smallnetb...ribution_system)

If you are concerned about congestion then you will have to install multiple lines, however you will need to check with the ISP that the bandwidth is not limited in your area. I suspect that this is the reason why our speeds are so lousy most of the time.

The other option you could explore is SSDL as opposed to ADSL. With SSDL the upload speeds are the same as download. I am not sure if you can get this in the suburbs but many banks, trading houses etc in the CBD would use SSDL.

Are you trading commodities/FX?

Why have a router to share internet in every room? Just get a small GigE switch and ethernet cables to run to the various rooms. If each room needs multiple devices, then get a switch for each room. You won't need an internet connection in each room unless you're going to pass a lot of traffic, then you'll be sharing at the street rather than in the house. If you need a lot of bandwidth, if possible get two suppliers and half the rooms use one, the other half use the other.

• Like 1

Agree with rakman, that is how it should be done. I guess that you are just using the wrong terminology. It is "switches" you need not "routers" in each room. Then just one router at the internet access point.

The ISP's in Thailand typically don't do any LAN wiring at all. They just provide one access point (ADSL or Cable modem) then the internal LAN, wifi etc is up to you. Though they may give you a free wifi router.

If you can't do it yourself, then most electricians can run the LAN cables for you.

• Like 1

Agree with rakman, that is how it should be done. I guess that you are just using the wrong terminology. It is "switches" you need not "routers" in each room. Then just one router at the internet access point.

The ISP's in Thailand typically don't do any LAN wiring at all. They just provide one access point (ADSL or Cable modem) then the internal LAN, wifi etc is up to you. Though they may give you a free wifi router.

If you can't do it yourself, then most electricians can run the LAN cables for you.

Not entirely true, (sorry for the pun)

TOT, CAT, TRUE and probably some others offer this installation/cabling service.

The actual service is done by an outside contractor.

Had this done by TOT, and 12 MB, with guarantee for the work.

20 MB and even 50Mb were possible.

Two hiccups, one short telephone call, and in came TOT itself to check/repair.......free

TOT, CAT, TRUE and probably some others offer this installation/cabling service.

Two hiccups, one short telephone call, and in came TOT itself to check/repair.......free

Thanks, I didn't know they offered that service.

TOT can offer a 50Mb connection? What technology is that, Fibre, VDSL?

I went to TOT and they told me thay can provide cabling up to 4 locations. They went ahead and scheduled installation for next Saturday but haven't been able to verify what type of internet is available at my home. They said they will call me next week to confirm. Hoprefully we can get DOCSIS, I'm not really a big fan of DSL.

And yes, we do need router, not switch, for each room. Let's just say, we have unique requirements for our home network. If TOT technican can properly run LAN cables to 3 or maybe 4 rooms, then our problem is solved biggrin.png

And yes, we do need router, not switch, for each room. Let's just say, we have unique requirements for our home network.

As a (retired) professional network analyst, I'd be interested to know why?

In my experience there is very little that is new under the sun and a "home network with unique requirements" sounds unlikely.

I went to TOT and they told me thay can provide cabling up to 4 locations. They went ahead and scheduled installation for next Saturday but haven't been able to verify what type of internet is available at my home. They said they will call me next week to confirm. Hoprefully we can get DOCSIS, I'm not really a big fan of DSL.

And yes, we do need router, not switch, for each room. Let's just say, we have unique requirements for our home network. If TOT technican can properly run LAN cables to 3 or maybe 4 rooms, then our problem is solved biggrin.png

TOT don't have DOCSIS because they're not a cable TV operator. I'm pretty sure they only offer ADSL and in limited areas FTTH.

TOT don't have DOCSIS because they're not a cable TV operator. I'm pretty sure they only offer ADSL and in limited areas FTTH.

Ooops, sorry, I meant True tongue.png I am currently using TOT unlimited 3G. I got them mixed up.

Edited by sitti

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I had a bad news then a good news. Bad news is True didn't show up for installation. Turns out they don't offer any type of internet in my area, only TrueVision. What a waste of time. I was quite disappointed, I was so looking forward to getting cable modem instead of DSL. Then I went to 3BB, they don't offer anything in my area either. My only choice is TOT. It appeared to be I could only get crappy TOT DSL sick.gif

Good news is TOT actually offers Fiber2U in my area, which I wasn't expecting it at all. When I visited TOT, just as I thought, they told me the fastest one I can get is only 10mbps DSL. I asked if there is anyway I can get faster and more reliable connection? They kept telling me that this is all I can get. I really really didn't want DSL, I asked them to call tech to double check. It turns out fiber optics is available in my area w00t.gif I signed up for 20/3 for 2500 baht a month. Installation is 4000 bath including laying down LAN to 3 rooms.

I don't expect it to be as good as Verizon FiOS I had in the US, but this is the best I can get at this point. I just hope my connection will be constantly stable wai2.gif

Edited by sitti

Please correct me if I am wrong. TOT also have fibre optic here however from the pole or whatever their connecting point is do not we still have the copper wire to our modem? I would love to be proven wrong as I am a bit tired of their so-called 7mb which is more like dial-up speeds most of the time

Please correct me if I am wrong. TOT also have fibre optic here however from the pole or whatever their connecting point is do not we still have the copper wire to our modem? I would love to be proven wrong as I am a bit tired of their so-called 7mb which is more like dial-up speeds most of the time

I didn't ask very specific question, I briefly talked with TOT Tech/Engineer over the phone at TOT office before I signed up. From what I was told, in my case, my house should be fiber ready. Couple months ago we just bought a brand new house in SC Asset's new housing project (still building more houses over the next 2 years). For the last year or two, TOT have been installing fiber lines in many of the housing developments near the main roads. My house fits exactly in this description. So I would assume it may probably be true fiber connection. They are going to send tech people to check something before installation, so I will ask them.

Edited by sitti

I will also be very interested to hear how it turns out for you. After quite a bit of cajoling I finally got TOT to consider running fibre 5-600 metres from the main road to my house but only if I take the most expensive basic package which is 40/5 for THB5500/month I would be ok with that except that I'm unsure about the precise differences between the 3 packages they offer.

Looking at the following link, TOT offer 3 levels of service: "Basic package", "Advance package" and "Premium package". When comparing the same speed between the 3 packages, the price varies greatly and I haven't been successful in getting a clear answer as to the difference. Obviously apart from fixed IP (which I don't need) it has to do with the contention ratio but since the 40/5 connection jumps from THB5500/month to THB12000/month just upgrading one level, I would like to know exactly what it means before I make a decision.

http://www.tot.co.th/index.php?option=com_linkcontent&Itemid=88&categoryid=42&task=detail&detail_id=1990〈=th

There isn't much English language info about TOT's Fibre2U service but from searching some Thai language forums, I'm pretty sure that it is FTTH. In other words, the fibre optic cable comes directly into your residence.

From what I know you need only basic. Anything above that is overkill for home. Advance has larger pipe and allows larger number of computers to be connected simultaneously. This is more for corporate environment. Premium is Advance with fixed IP.

I asked the same thing when signed up. Basic is just perfect for home: Few computers, iptv, internet TVs, ps3, smart phones.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App

From what I know you need only basic. Anything above that is overkill for home. Advance has larger pipe and allows larger number of computers to be connected simultaneously. This is more for corporate environment. Premium is Advance with fixed IP.

I asked the same thing when signed up. Basic is just perfect for home: Few computers, iptv, internet TVs, ps3, smart phones.

Hmmm... 40Mbps is 40Mbps whatever package so it's not about a larger pipe. The point is that if the basic package is sharing with all the other ADSL users then international bandwidth will be limited. Though limited intl bandwidth is what you would expect from a home package, it could be that the 15/3 "Advance Package" is better than the 40/5 "Basic Package" for the same price. But it's impossible to say with the information available.

Unless someone has actually tried both. Anyone?

I have a TOT fiber into the house. The fiber connects into a OCU then cat cable into a regular 5 port router. Speed and consistency has been good.

From explanation I had from TOT, I believe difference of plan isn't about domestic or international bandwidth. It should be the same. It is mostly about how many devices can be connected to net simultaneously without slowing down. That's why they say advance and premium are usually businesses.

I read somewhere at other forum about a guy works at company with fiber 2U with premium. He was complaining about his international speed.

And yes, we do need router, not switch, for each room. Let's just say, we have unique requirements for our home network.

As a (retired) professional network analyst, I'd be interested to know why?

In my experience there is very little that is new under the sun and a "home network with unique requirements" sounds unlikely.

Seperate internet connection to each room probably means more external Ip addresses are necessary (easiest way to get them without hassle is to have more internet connections) and wired because wifi routers often have little hiccups, normally not a problem but with streaming it can be a nuisance.

Each room separate, i guess webcams are used. smile.png

Edited by Khun Jean