Buying Air11In.....anything I Should Know?

cheeryble

Hi there

on the point of getting an Air 11inch.

Sub-question: Not sure about the smaller or larger drive (comments welcome. my most computer savvy friend uses very little storage these days, and I only use less than a quarter in the iPad, oh and I have a Macbook and external for backup.)

Sub-question: How about secondhand to save a few thou? Worth it nowadays with SS drives, modern batteries etc?

Main theme is: are they about to bring out something newer or better or anything like that?

thanks Cheeryble

buy it new and get the AppleCare 3 year coverage. If you think that's expensive, it's not, not when you plan on having this computer for 3 years.

If you don't need the storage, better for you. Only thing I need it for is carrying around video - TV series, movies, etc. But even for that if you either have external storage or you just delete them when done, you're fine. Anything else does not take a lot of storage.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it's awesome.

Get the 128GB flash model. Boots in 15 seconds.

Never needs to shutdown. Connects to the larger monitor via the cable.

Unplug to take it to work.

Syncs notes and reminders with the iPhone

Wonderfully backlit keyboard allows you to work in the dark.

Owner of an 11-inch Macbook Air

• Like 1

Yep I'm also just about to get one of these only up grade I'm getting is 128 gb storage was looking today on online apple store the only thing is they don't have any sleeves (cases) to protect them , not really a problem as the iPad and galaxy tab covers should fit

The only thing stopping me ordering is the descision on 11"or 13" ,have managed to see and play with the 13" now, nice maybe a little big, really want to see the 11" first but dont have time to do the 4 hour round trip to the nearest shop with stock as bussiness got busy now,think i try to look at normal 11" laptops in local shop to get an idea of size before i finally decide.

Filling in order form on the apple online site yesterday gave delivery date of 17-19 dec if ordered yesterday.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Just checking out the uk prices of these on uk apple site 11" 128 gb version is 929 on thai apple site 37,000 bht =753 nearly 10,000 bht cheaper over here great saving me thinks....... Ah usa price 658 wow the uk sure is a rip off its 250 gbp cheaper in the usa big big difference

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by taninthai

Question to self, and anyone else:

1. Do I need more than 64gb bearing in mind I have an older MacBook and WD hard drive for storing stuff, and thumb drives are getting bigger fast?

(bought the largest 64gb iPad and still only a quarter full).

2. If I buy a 64 will Apple bring out an upgrade next week with 128 minimum hd, upgrading the 128 to 256 at the same time?

Edited by cheeryble

I'm no expert but 64 gb isn't much I have 40 gb of music that I want stored on there ,so for me I want the 128 gb if you carry a hard drive around Doesn't really matter.

These are pretty new versions can't see them bringing anything newer soon but this is apple so who knows

64GB is too small. Itunes and your iPhone can eat up a lot of space in there. There are a lot os useful apps, free and paid in the Apps Store. You may want to save some space for that too. The keyboard is quite alright. The backlight is very useful. Battery life is decent.

11in is a bit small but depends on how you are going to use it. I've had the 13in C2D model with 256gb ssd as my only personal computer fo rthe past 2 years now and it's the best laptop/computer i've ever owned. I take it with me all the time bcs it is so light (can't emphasize enough at how light it is), no need to bring the charger most of the time and boots up in seconds. The laptopo has over 350 charge cycles on it already and is still getting anywhere between 4-9 hours battery time (depending on usage)

Get the larger harddrive because you can't upgrade later. The OS takes up some space. Then you install some programs and that 64 gb is gone. (I even think 128 is too small.)

that being said, the mbAir is getting less attention now bcs of the iPad mini. :)

Thankyou for your comments.

I have been offered an Air for 36,000 cleaned and clear 5 months old no extra insurance paid for. (new price 49,900). Looks brand new.

It has 256gig and I last night learned the 13 inch weighs 2.83 lb not so much more Than the 11 inch at think it was 2.28. So really not much heavier and though slightly less portable sizewise extra screen is a nice thing The weight is probably what counts and today I will try to buy it.

I think it's not a steal but a pretty good deal be hard to find as good without a long wait.

ps how much for the extra 2 years insurance? Is it worth it or is the Air unlikely to fail?

Edited by cheeryble

I have been offered an Air for 36,000 cleaned and clear 5 months old no extra insurance paid for. (new price 49,900). Looks brand new.

It has 256gig and I last night learned the 13 inch weighs 2.83 lb not so much more Than the 11 inch at think it was 2.28. So really not much heavier and though slightly less portable sizewise extra screen is a nice thing The weight is probably what counts and today I will try to buy it.

I think it's not a steal but a pretty good deal be hard to find as good without a long wait.

ps how much for the extra 2 years insurance? Is it worth it or is the Air unlikely to fail?

Get the insurance.

• Like 1

I would be very careful buying a 2nd hand one alot of them are refurbished which means it has had problems in the past the 128 gb is only 39000 brand new so not a great saving really

• Like 1

I would be very careful buying a 2nd hand one alot of them are refurbished which means it has had problems in the past the 128 gb is only 39000 brand new so not a great saving really

It's coming from a little repair shop who isn't an authorised Apple dealer, so I don't think this is the case.

If it was I don't think it would bother me as unlike can be with a car one bit going wrong is self contained and doesn't generally affect other parts.

Actually this is a 256gb which costs 49,900 new, so 36,000 is a pretty good 28% saving for under 6 months of age.

In fact it's moot anyway because today I bought it and am very happy about that :-)

Get the insurance.

May I ask why you say get it?

(BTW how much is it?)

I have it on my MB Pro. I think it cost around B8K, not sure about the Air. Seems a lot of money but it's worth it as mine is going for a logic board replacement due to faulty card reader slot. I still have around 16 months extra warranty to run so I'm in no hurry to send it away. I can wait in case something else needs repairing by then. I didn't notice my card reader slot was faulty until after 12 months! so if I didn't have Apple Care I wouldn't have been covered.