Herschel Walker - My Diet/exercise Motivator

SamGio

Through a friend some years ago I heard about Herschel Walker. I have researched him quite a bit over the years - not sure whether all is to be believed.

However, he is/was a dedicated and strong performer in a number of sports and his reported diet (one vegetarian meal a day, but he probably adds in protein shakes as well) had me change things.

Now in my 40's and is maintaining my weight and fitness levels - until five years ago it was up/down 10 kilos constantly during any given year due to lack of proper diet and not a constant exercise regimen. This was after changes in my late 20's - what I previously did is a young mans game, so for a few years after the body/mind needed resting.

I had no health issues, were still young so it was hard to be internally motivated - kind of like young smokers I guess. They know there probably will be health issues in the future; short term no worries for them though. In my case I needed an external motivator like Herschel Walker to wake me up - what motivated your dieting, lifestyle change etc?

I just looked in the mirror and did not like what i saw. But i started working out at 18 always stayed in reasonable shape. Got a busy job and almost no energy and time for training. So i gained weight. Bought a home gym and started working out (this was back in the Netherlands). Got back in shape.

Thailand, i got out of shape because of the food here. Mainly street food. At a point again i looked in the mirror and decided enough is enough. Started cooking my own food, improved on my gym and slowly won the battle. Fast forward the flooding in November 2011 and i was 2 months in a home with alcohol and no way to exercise (all furniture was in my gym room) Could only drink (could not leave the house as i had 2 dogs to take care off. Gained a lot of weight, then a holiday with my parents and gained more.

I was at least 7-9 kilos over my normal weight at that point. (not overly fat but i felt like a blimp no noticeable belly or at least no pot belly) So one January changed my food stopped alcohol for good. Worked out good.. june got a concept 2 model d rower as addition to my gym. Worked out even more lost even more. Constantly adjusting my diet. Doing blood test to see if everything was good (low thyroid and blood sugar still normal but upper range). Changed diet again. now 16 November leaner as i ever have been even in my youth. Lost 23-24 kg fat up 5 kg muscle Now weighing 88 or 89 kg (varies). Still want to loose a lil bit to be really ripped but six pack is there for a large part, veins all over my arms almost in the biceps.

So yes a lot can be accomplished if you really take charge of your lifestyle and diet. Hardest part for me was the diet as i really weigh all my food and count the calories (not starving myself). But the more result i see the more motivated i stay.

I see results on my body and on the rower and even in the gym. So just feeling good here.

Edited by robblok

My motivations were having a daughter and a big kick up the arse from a doctor after my first proper visit for years about 18 months ago. Now I am 23 kilos lighter, fitter than I have ever been and spend several hours a week down the gym. My diet has also completely changed with my blood pressure and cholesterol being ridiculously high before but now back to normal.

It has been a hard struggle to keep motivated and I have taken to using various gadgets such as a pedometer (fitbit) and heart rate monitor along with calorie counting and internet based trackers.

Having had a quick look at the wikipedia page for Hershel Walker which obviously does not go into the detail you have looked at and could well be inaccurate, he does appear to have a very controversial approach with only 5 hours sleep and night and daily regimen of 3500 sit ups, 1000 push ups and 8 mile run. Though it may work for him it does seem to fly in the face of a lot of 'conventional' wisdom though I suppose if it works to motivate a person to do more and as long as it does no harm it may be right for some.

Edited by Orac

@orac,

Yes new toys do help you keep motivated, i buy some small new stuff once in a while. Bodymedia.. powerhooks, heartrate monitor. I do my calorie counting on app, tough because i mostly eat similar stuff that i weigh i dont count it everyday. Just when i have a change in diet.

Its fun to see your body change (but it goes slow) and fun to see how much more stamina you get or strength. Even more fun when it translates to extra energy.

I'm surprised that anyone would consider Herschel Walker's workouts motivational. I think most people would find it demotivational. 50 - 100 pushups and as many situps done in slow strict form would serve most people better. I can get an amazing chest workout by doing only 15 - 25 reps on pushups for 3 - 5 sets.

Edited by tropo

I'm surprised that anyone would consider Herschel Walker's workouts motivational. I think most people would find it demotivational. 50 - 100 pushups and as many situps done in slow strict form would serve most people better. I can get an amazing chest workout by doing only 15 - 25 reps on pushups for 3 - 5 sets.

I agree that Herschel Walker is not your average joe. However, I don't think most people would find a former Heisman trophy winner's workout schedule demotivational - I am not an American, but I know what that award takes to win.

My motivation is not for everyday life, so perhaps my thread should emphasize excellence. Working out or dieting to loose your flab go for it. My choice of motivator is a Heisman trophy winner and a long term athlete - Rambo, Luke skywalker, Michael Jackson etc you choose - my point is go for broke, but do it all within reason.

I agree that Herschel Walker is not your average joe. However, I don't think most people would find a former Heisman trophy winner's workout schedule demotivational -

If you told the general public that they have to do 1000's of situps and pushups to get into shape, you'll find a lot of demotivated people. Most people wouldn't even attempt a program like that. It would result in injury and overtraining for 99.999999% of the population - probably everyone other than you and Herschel.

Herschel would have been in better condition if he had undertaken more intelligent training regimens. Imagine that - how much better could he have been? .

Do you think the top athletes in any sports train harder or more intelligently than the rest? Usain Bolt is a good example. He could probably train anyway he likes and still win.

Edited by tropo

OK tropo, so you reckon the OP's motivation isn't your cup of tea but it obviously worked for the OP and a probably a fair few others. Maybe there are better, more efficient methods to embrace but the OP hasn't asked for opinions or ideas in that regard. If exercise and diet was a 100% copy & paste job for everyone, it would be awfully boring... even demotivational.

So, with respect to the OP's question, what motivated you initially? What keeps you motivated?

Probably my major motivation comes from having a young wife. I'd like to stick around for as long as possible. It's about health and appearance, not how many pushups or situps I can perform, and not about how much I can bench press. I also eat clean and have never smoked or drunk alcohol. I was a health nut from my mid-teens.

Edited by tropo