Big Crash!

dogpoo

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The corrupt police here that charge you on fraud grounds will remind you why there is no reason to live or drive here any more, forever

Yes the corruption here is unbelievable but I have never experienced it! for the moment I do not want to drive my bikes hopefully that will change with time!

Man up Dogpoo, it was as you say an accident...

stay of the bikes for a while, if you want, but believe me, the best thing is to get back on that bike fast. If you think you did notthing wrong, then why would you be scared to ride?

I love riding in Thailand (Wantan), and I am sorry if I have explained myself wrongly... I love bikes and it is one of the things that keeps me here, year after year...

Having your child on the bike is not bad, sometimes it is needed. Just be more careful, try to not trust anyone... try not to know what Thais are thinking, because on bikes, they almost never think...

There are two types of bikers,

1. the ones that has had an accident

2. the ones that will have an accident

you are now number 1, welcome to the club... now enjoy the freedom of two wheels...

• Like 1

Just dont give up riding a bike that easily....

Second, it is an accident and can happen anywhere in this world.

A bit of a blase response.

It's just that it happens with 14 times' more frequency (with fatalities) here than in your (presumably) Western home country. Let the rider beware!

C'mon man.

The frequency of the accidents here might be14 times more than our countries but the number of bikes are 20 or 30 times more in Thailand so if you do a calculation i m sure the precentage of accidents per bike is less than our countries still - by the way please post here whereabouts of this statistic you mentionef so we can see as well.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Don't be lazy. Do a search here on Thai visa. We discussed this quite some time ago with the accompanying statistics/studies.

Just dont give up riding a bike that easily....

Second, it is an accident and can happen anywhere in this world.

A bit of a blase response.

It's just that it happens with 14 times' more frequency (with fatalities) here than in your (presumably) Western home country. Let the rider beware!

C'mon man.

The frequency of the accidents here might be14 times more than our countries but the number of bikes are 20 or 30 times more in Thailand so if you do a calculation i m sure the precentage of accidents per bike is less than our countries still - by the way please post here whereabouts of this statistic you mentionef so we can see as well.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Don't be lazy. Do a search here on Thai visa. We discussed this quite some time ago with the accompanying statistics/studies.

fookhaht, this really does not interest me too much as i am sure i will read there farang never ever ride a bike in their countries and coming here and whining about riding in Thailand, how dangerous to ride here blah blah blah biased replies so don't want to bother myself.

If you ask me, Thailand is a heaven to ride a bike as they know how to handle a biker here.

The problems here, do we farang know how to handle them?

Besides, if you are facting something, you have to state the source right away for credibility of your ideas...It does not matter if it is discusses before.

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

Besides, if you are facting something, you have to state the source right away for credibility of your ideas...It does not matter if it is discusses before.

Some of us don't like re-inventing the wheel. It's time-consuming. C'mon, do a search. It's not hard. rolleyes.gif

IMHO the only way to ride here, especially in urban areas, is very defensively. Here they pull out out in front of you many times a day whether they see you or not. Their attitude is that the onus is on you to stop for them. Their is no skill, ettiquete or common sense shown by native drivers/riders but I will continue to ride here as motorcycling is one of the greatest pleasures, especially when you escape the urban madness and find yourself among the rice fields with miles of newly tarmaced roads all to yourself.

• Like 1

IMHO the only way to ride here, especially in urban areas, is very defensively. Here they pull out out in front of you many times a day whether they see you or not. Their attitude is that the onus is on you to stop for them. Their is no skill, ettiquete or common sense shown by native drivers/riders but I will continue to ride here as motorcycling is one of the greatest pleasures, especially when you escape the urban madness and find yourself among the rice fields with miles of newly tarmaced roads all to yourself.

The typical Thai driver is only concerned about the 1 meter in front of them. If it's empty, they can fill it, without regard to whomever might be coming towards that same spot. If it's empty, you don't have to look anywhere else. It doesn't matter if that 1-meter bubble is in their driveway, a soi, or a 4-lane busy highway. If it's there, it's theirs.

Actually, there are quite a few 'rules' that are practiced here so often that we can learn them to improve safety.

Certainly a side-street stop sign does not exist or it is ignored. Driving in the slow lane, I must be aware of the probability that someone will appear before me. If anyone's in front, I have to take care of them. Similarly, if I'm in the slow lane in many regions, I'm likely to see a motorbike coming my way - keeping to my left. There are many reasons for this, but they add up to avoiding a very long trip in the other direction for them to get a little way behind me. Every motorbike I've ever seen in the dedicated motorbike lane thinks nothing of the wrong-way driver. At least, I've never observed anything except making room. Part of the territory.

Complaining about these and other habits and traditions is silly and wasteful. Thing to do is just study what's up, learn, and increase the odds. Incidentally, I'm far less likely to have a parked car's door opened into me here than in the U.S., where most bike deaths come from oblivious car drivers never see our bikes according to reports. Here, two wheels and a motor are not rare.

And as for negotiating, so to speak, over shared space, one need only drive in a major French or American city to see nudging and edging on a monstrous scale.

Edited by CMX

Man up Dogpoo, it was as you say an accident...

stay of the bikes for a while, if you want, but believe me, the best thing is to get back on that bike fast. If you think you did notthing wrong, then why would you be scared to ride?

I love riding in Thailand (Wantan), and I am sorry if I have explained myself wrongly... I love bikes and it is one of the things that keeps me here, year after year...

Having your child on the bike is not bad, sometimes it is needed. Just be more careful, try to not trust anyone... try not to know what Thais are thinking, because on bikes, they almost never think...

There are two types of bikers,

1. the ones that has had an accident

2. the ones that will have an accident

you are now number 1, welcome to the club... now enjoy the freedom of two wheels...

It's not a question of Maning up, I want a break from riding the bike, never had an accident like this before so it has affected me temporarily, my step daughter was very shaken but okay now, one of the many reasons for leaving the UK was so I could ride bikes in the sunshine, I will ride again soon!!

• Like 1

Seems like that in post 3 you were ready to give up...

Riding bikes are fun,so don't give up...

If anything it would teach your daughter that riding bikes can be dangerous, and the day when she comes home with a boy, just remind her of this accident and tell her how lucky she was... Thai boys rides like clowns...

I have riden 15000 kms on my scooter in Thailand in the past 9 months and previously 30000 on scooter/bike in oz over a couple years...overall I'd say that the rate of "close calls" was about the same but with a more defensive riding style in Thailand ... Imho The high fatality rate is closely linked to drink riding and lack of helmet

I have driven many thousand of Kms on bikes here, never had a problem until recently, before the accident I wanted to drive my bikes everyday now the desire has gone hopefully temporarily, if I do ride again It will be with a new awareness even more than I had before, my speed will be reduced even though I never ever drive fast, no I have never held anyone up and would always move over to let the speed freaks pass and get that 50yds further up the road, it's everything to them!! I have a car and its good to be using that more now, still waiting for the bike to come back, we will see what is what when I do get it back!

Im in the sticks mate and my slow morning rides are still a bit dangerous but the rice paddie/ mountain views, breathe life into the day, unlike my 4x4. Accidents happen, I was walking/carrying my 2yr old and a bike, from nowhere ,suddenly hit the brakes and came to a stop on my right toe, the Wifey, across the road, gave him some grief and he was gone.Again just as fast

Some of us don't like re-inventing the wheel. It's time-consuming. C'mon, do a search. It's not hard. rolleyes.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2236236/Incredible-British-father-Christopher-Hart-killed-motorbike-crashes-lorry-Thailand.html

I saw 2 accidents on pattaya tai yesterday on my way home from the gym.

in both cases 1 trafficant attempted to get out from a soi into pattaya tai,

colliding with a trafficant already on pattaya tai

Yep, its one of the mysteries why thai people (especially young men) are not looking before entering a main street. It seems to be uncool to slow down and look. So they keep the speed and assume there will be some space for them. But sometimes there is none... blink.png

Edited by wantan

I saw 2 accidents on pattaya tai yesterday on my way home from the gym.

in both cases 1 trafficant attempted to get out from a soi into pattaya tai,

colliding with a trafficant already on pattaya tai

Yep, its one of the mysteries why thai people (especially young men) are not looking before entering a main street. It seems to be uncool to slow down and look. So they keep the speed and assume there will be some space for them. But sometimes there is none... blink.png

They look always,.... to the left!

Can be, there is one driving on the wrong side.

And why do they need to look to the right? The people from the right can see them. I do (honk) ;-)

Why is the title of this thread "Big crash!"?

This is just a minor accident.

It was a big crash as far as I was concerned, is that a problem? The thread is called big crash because to me it was a big crash! Understand now?

Edited by dogpoo

It was a big crash as far as I was concerned, is that a problem? The thread is called big crash because to me it was a big crash! Understand now?

You didn't break anything and you don't have major damage to your bike.

You didn't break anything and you don't have major damage to your bike.

The big crash is easy to find in this post:

I have been driving for over 40 yrs and never been involved with anything serious just a couple of minor non fault accidents,I know how to drive!!

Edited by noob7