Get Active, Thais Told

webfact

Hmmm, perhaps some photos of the bureaucrats that work at the Ministry of Health should have been used to serve as an inspiration to other others as to what a regimine of sensible eating and exercise can achieve. No doubt just an oversight, although the good doctor himself is looking pretty trim:

30193034-01_big.jpg

I watch my nieghbours come out of thier homes and start up the motor bike and travel 30 metres to the local store. I think to myself why not walk it would be quicker but hey I guess they would run out of breathe.

By the way, thirteen hours of inactivity + two hours of doing something = what happens during the other nine hours?

The other 9 hours are called 'work'. In Thailand this is a combination of being physically and mentally 'idle'.

Have you seen the BIB working in the booths? They are asleep during work hours as well.

• Like 1

The sophorific heat doesn't help but Thais are incredibly lazy other than the rural poor who work like the buffalos along side them, tirelessly for hours on end. I admire that strength of endurance and having tried it, when cutting sugar cane, couldn't match them in any capacity.

In BKK I have seen organised physical activites that included areobic sessions [which I question the value of] and running laps, for example in Lumpini Park. These sessions are usually shortly after work when the temperatur drops an the day light is still present. However, what has always surprised me is that Thais don't seem to know how to run. They have a strange and awkward shuffle, often refusing to use their arms as a form of propulsion. Most odd.

It is a hopeless objective to raise health awareness when there are so few safety standards applied in the workplace; when wages are so low and hours so long. To expect a nation whose people make up a bulk of 70% poor, 20% middle class, 4% priviledged and 1% elite, to find the time to improve their lifestyle at the same time as struggling to simply survive is not realistic.

Well meaning and well healed social commentators show a lack of reality when commenting on the subject and avoid addressing the real issue of inequality, wasted lives, lack of opportunity and education as well as the endemic poverty that envelops the majority of Thai citizens.

• Like 1