Engine Hard To Start Cold, Starts Fine When Warm : Need Advice

sunny747

Hello experts,

i'm driving an old mitsubishi lancer Ecar (evo 3 model) with 4g63na engine. very smooth car so far.

but i'm having this issue recently. It's getting difficult to start on a cold engine, it coughs for a while then eventually starts. But its starts like a charm when the the engine is hot.

i have got a new battery. i drive on LPG and gasohol 95. haven't changed spark plugs for a year. 6000km+, yet to change the engine oil.

but i have a doubt if above reasons are the cause of slow start in the morning.

please advice,

thanks mate

How old is old?

How many klms has the engine done?

If the engine is cranking as normal and it doesn't fire up, then it could be low

compression due to worn cylinder bores and pistons.

You can have it compression tested when cold to check each cylinder condition

and at the same time inspect the plugs.

Or

The injection system cold start is malfunctioning.

you could put some thin oil in it. a temp solution, but if you dont drive great distances it really isnt bad. i switched to a thinner oil when i moved close to my work in the states. only a 3 mile drive, started right up easily, and your oil doesnt need to be too viscous at those minimal temps.

If it is injected then the onboard ecu (COMPUTER) controls the mixture at different temperatures to start and run the motor. The problem is many sensors. One fails and your stuffed. Connection to a main agent computer diagnostic ''should'' reveal all. thumbsup.gif