Where To Buy Smoked Haddock Or Cod?

jagi00

The only Cod or Smoked Haddock I have seen is in TOPS,

Waitrose ,small packets and quite expensive.

Then Rim Ping supermarkets stock some what is labeled as

Atlantic Cod,but its processed in China,so it could be anything

I suppose.

Makro has some Hokki ?, frozen from NZ, believe that is a nice

white fish.

I hope it helps, could just eat a plate of Finnan Haddie the noo.

regards Worgeordie

post-28863-0-52107100-1353456180_thumb.jFor fish & chips, or fried fish sandwiches, my favorite fish is Atlantic haddock. Hard to find around here, frozen or smoked, but I'm always looking. John Dory fish is what seems to be the local alternative, but it just is not as good - in my opinion.

Goose's Fish Restaurant in Pattaya has haddock on their menu - will definitely try it someday - at any price.

Really good smoked trout at the kings project on Suthep rd

Thanks JC, I'll try some smoked trout too but I'm still after haddock or cod for a particular recipe.

What ya makin'?

MB, most if not all the "John Dory" here is actually Dory Fish which are not true a true Dory such as John Dory

post-28863-0-52107100-1353456180_thumb.jFor fish & chips, or fried fish sandwiches, my favorite fish is Atlantic haddock. Hard to find around here, frozen or smoked, but I'm always looking. John Dory fish is what seems to be the local alternative, but it just is not as good - in my opinion.

Goose's Fish Restaurant in Pattaya has haddock on their menu - will definitely try it someday - at any price.

What is sold as Dory, is actually farmed catfish from Vietnam, that is the problem today,shortage of quality fish,

so other species of fish,some from the depths ,that if you seen them before they are processed,you would be afraid to eat,

are sold as well known fish,once the skin is off difficult to tell what it is,I read somewhere that 40% of the fish sold in New York

is mislabeled ,and been sold as prime fish,so if that can happen there,you have no chance here.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

Thanks JC, I'll try some smoked trout too but I'm still after haddock or cod for a particular recipe.

What ya makin'?

MB, most if not all the "John Dory" here is actually Dory Fish which are not true a true Dory such as John Dory

Hoping to make a smoked haddock dish with spiced rice and eggs - a bit similar to kedgeree. Also like a smoked haddock served with a poached egg on top for breakfast. Thanks for all the suggestions - guess I'll keep looking!

Last year I bought smoked haddock from 'The fish Society' in UK.

Expensive to buy and then more expensive to ship by courier.

Delicious but realy a nonsence buy considering the cost

Yes Gennsis they have some really good fish, but expensive

then when you add the transport costs,and the worry it could get stuck

in customs,sometimes we have to give up our cravings for western foods,

in fact it maybe better to just keep them as fond memories, as a few times

I have been most disappointed when I have something I really missed brought

over for me,last thing was Conference pears, did not taste anything like I remembered regards Worgeordie

Goose's does the best fish and chips that I have ever had in Thailand - by far. thumbsup.gif

Ulysses G,

Do you like your fish and chips using haddock, cod, or some other fish?

Ever try to order frozen haddock from Goose's supplier in Pattaya or Bangkok? If we'd need to place a large order, I'm interested in combining several orders into one. Interested?

Goose's does the best fish and chips that I have ever had in Thailand - by far. thumbsup.gif

Ulysses G,

Ever try to order frozen haddock from Goose's supplier in Pattaya or Bangkok? If we'd need to place a large order, I'm interested in combining several orders into one. Interested?

Hi Mekong Bob,It would depend if it is genuine Haddock,Cod,Whiting, would need to see shipping box it comes in

to see the source ,Norway ,Iceland,?, as even the fish and chips shops in UK are using Doly,Dory,catfish from Vietnam,

If its the real deal I would be interested in some Cod, regards Worgeordie, PS do you know the supplier ?

Could you provide more info on the location for this? Sounds great.

If your traveling up Suthep Rd away from the moat cross Canal Rd and take the first right into a small cluster of buildings. Take another right into the parking lot and it's the building on your left.

Care to give directions. Use Thai Pai Gate as a start if you can.

From Tha Pae Gate head south for 1,600 km until you reach Pattaya. When you reach Pattaya, ask someone where's Goose's.

• Like 2

Last year I bought smoked haddock from 'The fish Society' in UK.

Expensive to buy and then more expensive to ship by courier.

Delicious but realy a nonsence buy considering the cost

Yes Gennsis they have some really good fish, but expensive

then when you add the transport costs,and the worry it could get stuck

in customs,sometimes we have to give up our cravings for western foods,

in fact it maybe better to just keep them as fond memories, as a few times

I have been most disappointed when I have something I really missed brought

over for me,last thing was Conference pears, did not taste anything like I remembered regards Worgeordie

Yes I agree with you. Often the 'taste' memory proves dissapointing.

I did make my smoked haddock shipment last for a few months and did enjoy...but my memories of large fillets will just have to be memories I guess.. together with a large grilled Finnan Haddock...Oh Joy !! Maybe one day Harry Ramsden will open up here,now that would be something. ..I have always preferred Haddock to Cod.

If your traveling up Suthep Rd away from the moat cross Canal Rd and take the first right into a small cluster of buildings. Take another right into the parking lot and it's the building on your left.

Thanks for the directions, I found the place. BUT there were no smoked trout to be seen (frozen? I saw some freezer cases with what looked like frozen fish inside but they were unmarked). The store mostly had things like honey, dried and candied Thai fruits, dried packaged noodles and some vegetables (that were more expensive than those being sold by vendors outside in the parking lot). Many products had no names so it was hard to identify exactly what they were. A product that looked suspiciously like miso base (for miso soup) was written in Thai only; it might at least have used the word "miso" somewhere. Some products had no price on them.

I was not impressed especially by the arrogant attitude of the store clerk who looked like she was doing you a favor by taking your money (I bought some honey). I was the only shopper inside. The next door coffee shop was far busier as were the outside vendors. From what I saw, I would not return as all the major retailers sell the same things, manytimes in bilingual packaging, often at better prices, and with friendlier staff. I'll stick with Rimping and Makro.

Edited by TheVicar

Thanks for the directions, I found the place. BUT there were no smoked trout to be seen (frozen?). The store mostly had things like honey, dried and candied Thai fruits, and some vegetables (that were more expensive than those being sold by vendors outside in the parking lot). I was not impressed especially by the attitude of the store clerk who looked like she was doing you a favor by taking your money (I bought some honey). I was the only shopper inside. The next door coffee shop was far busier as were the outside vendors. From what I saw, I would not return as all the major retailers sell the same things, often at better prices, and with friendlier staff.

The one on Huay Kaew usually has smoked trout (but nothing else except yogurt with expired dates). Honestly I don't see how that place stays open. I've been in there many times and I have always been the only customer.

The Royal Projects annual fair should be coming up soon. Usually early December, located on Nimm... University conference centre? Loads of fruit & veg from the projects, plus trout. If anyone sees the posters for it, please post.

+1

I wonder why this only an annual event. It's a "buying frenzy" for CM's middle & upper classes. Obviously the demand is there. Where are they buying the rest of the year?

Edited by MESmith

Ulysses G,

I don't do my own cooking, but maybe someone who does would be interested.

I usually just order the cheap dory and chips at Goose's. It tastes better than real cod at the other places I have tried in Thailand because someone there really knows how to cook.

actually vietnam pangasius makes some very decent battered fish. just marinated them in milk overnight, flaky and mild in flavor. makes it really great with vinegar. i deep fried with my anchor beer batter almost every other day. the only thing with them is their thickness, way too thin for fish n chips imo