Where To Buy Smoked Haddock Or Cod?

jagi00

Buying Pangas supports unscrupulous, greedy evil corporations and food conglomerates

Gosh! shock1.gif

It's not just that, it is that the producers are coming up with a very unhealthy product. Watch this video, to see how unsanitary their fish production (which is catfish, basically a dirty "bottom feeder" to begin with) is:

http://telly.com/8XW9Q

There are other more explicit ones available on Youtube (I tried to embed a link here and a warning came up that this could and should not be done. Just Google Vietnamese and "catfish" in Youtube.

These fish are grown industrially in dangerous "baths" of harmful chemicals and pollutants. Some of the fish farms are located next to chemical plants and cement factories that empty their effluent directly into the Mekong River, which is one of the most polluted in the world. This is an instance where fish is not good for you (increasingly, health gurus are warning people to avoid fish consumption because of such practices).

Edited by TheVicar

Elektrified wrote: "The one (Royal Project Store) on Huay Kaew usually has smoked trout (but nothing else except yogurt with expired dates). Honestly I don't see how that place stays open. I've been in there many times and I have always been the only customer."

That was my experience for the one off of Suthep Road: not much aside from honey, dried noodles, overpriced veggies plus rude service and no prices on many items. These places can stay open only because of their patronage. I was the only customer on a Saturday afternoon at the Suthep branch. There are venders selling much the same stuff just outside at lower prices and they smile!smile.png

I'd much rather buy produce from the farmers at small Wats (many wats have a market day once or twice a week) and buy the packaged stuff from Rimping stores (excellent!) and Makro (great prices and good produce too). Just stay away from the Vietnamese catfish.

Edited by TheVicar

Buying Pangas supports unscrupulous, greedy evil corporations and food conglomerates

Gosh! shock1.gif

It's not just that, it is that the producers are coming up with a very unhealthy product. Watch this video, to see how unsanitary their fish production (which is catfish, basically a dirty "bottom feeder" to begin with) is:

http://telly.com/8XW9Q

There are other more explicit ones available on Youtube (I tried to embed a link here and a warning came up that this could and should not be done. Just Google Vietnamese and "catfish" in Youtube.

These fish are grown industrially in dangerous "baths" of harmful chemicals and pollutants. Some of the fish farms are located next to chemical plants and cement factories that empty their effluent directly into the Mekong River, which is one of the most polluted in the world. This is an instance where fish is not good for you (increasingly, health gurus are warning people to avoid fish consumption because of such practices).

Makes a really good Sole Meuniere, but now wife has found out how they're produced....!

A number of sources say that this fish ( Pangas/pangasius ) is safe to eat and the campaign against it is a hoax. I'm not sure one way or the other, but, personally, I would eat it once in a while without worry.

Moreover, World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has confirmed that Vietnamese pangasius was safe for human consumption and the local fish industry is developing in a sustainable way.

http://www.thefishsi...amese-pangasius

Edited by Ulysses G.

Elektrified wrote: "The one (Royal Project Store) on Huay Kaew usually has smoked trout (but nothing else except yogurt with expired dates). Honestly I don't see how that place stays open. I've been in there many times and I have always been the only customer."

That was my experience for the one off of Suthep Road: not much aside from honey, dried noodles, overpriced veggies plus rude service and no prices on many items. These places can stay open only because of their patronage. I was the only customer on a Saturday afternoon at the Suthep branch. There are venders selling much the same stuff just outside at lower prices and they smile!smile.png

I'd much rather buy produce from the farmers at small Wats (many wats have a market day once or twice a week) and buy the packaged stuff from Rimping stores (excellent!) and Makro (great prices and good produce too). Just stay away from the Vietnamese catfish.

I like the store at CMU but have found that if you go in the afternoon before closing time that there is nothing on the shelves except a few dried things and some veggies, like you said. If you go earlier in the day you will find more selection. I don't understand their stocking procedure...but whatever...just go early in the day. The one girl at the cash register has been there since they opened and never smiles.

Edited by elektrified

A number of sources say that this fish ( Pangas/pangasius ) is safe to eat and the campaign against it is a hoax. I'm not sure one way or the other, but, personally, I would eat it once in a while without worry.

Moreover, World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has confirmed that Vietnamese pangasius was safe for human consumption and the local fish industry is developing in a sustainable way.

http://www.thefishsi...amese-pangasius

The source you quoted relies on a Vietnamese bureaucrat responsible for the fishing industry. Here's how the story you linked to begins: "According to Chairman and General Director of Hung Vuong Corporation and Vice Chairman of Viet Nam Association of Seafood Exporters and Producers (VASEP), Duong Ngoc Minh..." Do you really think the bureaucrat responsible for exporting this junk who is also a high up in the company exporting it would tell the truth? Meanwhile, WWF helped set up the group in Vietnam so it is hardly an impartial source either. In short, they have a lot to lose (read $$$$) following the disclosure of how and what this fish and the fishing industry in Vietnam operates. The sources I provided, and there are many other reputable ones if you do a Google search, are very negative on this product.

You are what you eat. Stay away from this fish. By the way, catfish (and that is what this fish is) are bottom eaters. They are like pigs in water. Not a good fish to begin with, and then given the toxic atmosphere of the Vietnamese fisheries for it.... OUCH!

Edited by TheVicar

I like the store at CMU but have found that if you go in the afternoon before closing time that there is nothing on the shelves except a few dried things and some veggies, like you said. If you go earlier in the day you will find more selection. I don't understand their stocking procedure...but whatever...just go early in the day. The one girl at the cash register has been there since they opened and never smiles.

I went well before closing time on a Saturday afternoon. The girl at the cash register needs to be replaced with someone who can deal effectively with the public, she cannot. I'll never return, and I suspect that is the impression most people have had and the reason the place was absolutely empty.

Pangasius is easily cooked, cheap and tasty, but:

http://www.dietminds...fish-gray-sole/

In Thailand, I believe we're talking about "ปลามง" ("pla-mong"), correct?

Anybody know which restaurants serve this fish, and by which name? Thanks.

No, completely different fish given the image you provided. Pangasius is a huge catfish. See images here: https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=663

Best to avoid it because it is full of contaminants.

Pangasius is easily cooked, cheap and tasty, but:

http://www.dietminds...fish-gray-sole/

In Thailand, I believe we're talking about "ปลามง" ("pla-mong"), correct?

Anybody know which restaurants serve this fish, and by which name? Thanks.

No, completely different fish given the image you provided. Pangasius is a huge catfish. See images here: https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=663

Best to avoid it because it is full of contaminants.

I will avoid ordering this fish wherever and whenever I find it on a Chiang Mai restaurant menu.

Does The Vicar know which restaurants in Chiang Mai regularly serve this fish? What is it called in Thai?

Is there any difference between Thailand's pangas fish and Vietnam's pangas?

Thanks.

The difference between Thai Pangasius catfish and Vietnamese Pangasius catfish

is Nationality, both raised the same way in dirty ponds pumped full of chemicals

and antibiotics.

Yesterday I bought a kg Pkt of Hokki from New Zealand,280 bht Kg. its a white

fleshed fish ,but it has an oily taste,so the wife will have to eat it,as I dont like it.

Yes its very hard to find good fish now, remember ,I used to buy 20Kg boxes of

Red Snapper, big skinless fillets,from my next door neighbor who had a freezer

factory, 180 bht kg. but that was 15 years ago, Red Snapper, Grouper in Makro

is about the size of a goldfish !!!! what to do ?

regards Worgeordie