Teak Trees Price And Age Can Be Cut

WilliamCave

• 5 months later...

Do you have permits for each tree, if not you will go to jail for cutting them down. As to price you are restricted to selling to furniture makers in Thailand, contact a lumber company and they will quote a price per cubic meter. Jim

does anyone know the real story on this permit thing? not just old farangs tails.

i just got 500 teak saplings and put them in bigger grow bags so they are not in the ground yet? we will plant them mostly for the kids as the wife and i will be pretty old by the time they are harvestable.

but i had heard this permit per tree story before i bought them and asked around the village and at the amphur and everyone thai i spoke to said that's BS

can anyone point to source of real facts?

thx

You need to register the saplings when you plant them. Someone will come out and take photo, same
when you cut them and get the stamp to sell them. It is difficult to say what they are worth as
there are different strains and how straight the trees are will affect the price. You will need a buyer (also licensed to buy)
to come out and make a bid. You can get a list of approved buyer from the local forestry office. There should also be a bunch of middlemen that will go out and scout for trees for the buyers. I can tell you they are usually not worth what you expected. Don't forget that you will have to get a back hoe in to remove the stumps.

You need to register the saplings when you plant them. Someone will come out and take photo, same

when you cut them and get the stamp to sell them. It is difficult to say what they are worth as

there are different strains and how straight the trees are will affect the price. You will need a buyer (also licensed to buy)

to come out and make a bid. You can get a list of approved buyer from the local forestry office. There should also be a bunch of middlemen that will go out and scout for trees for the buyers. I can tell you they are usually not worth what you expected. Don't forget that you will have to get a back hoe in to remove the stumps.

thanks, so register when i put in tne ground right? i guess with the forestry office then, not the amphur?

We have 60 Rai of Teak near Kanchanaburi and from what my wife has explained to me you nead to register the trees with the Forestry Dept and then if you have intentions of cutting them down you need to get a stamp to mark each tree before they can be transported

Does anyone know how much is a "yok". It is the Thai unit of measure for lumber. I'm either going to sell some trees or bring someone in to slice them up and am getting told that slicing them up will cost 900 baht per yok. I hae 800-900 trees that are about 12 years old. I am waiting for bids from a couple of buyers, but I have been waiting for a while. I'll post results when this is finished.

Here's one explanation, undoubtedly there will be others.smile.png

" the "yoke" used for selling wood is technically 16 boards 8 sok (4 meters) long and 10 inches wide. So you'll get 64 meters of length with 10 inch wide boards."

Taken from here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/201757-local-wood-varieties/page-2

Regards.

Edit: So that's 16 sq. mtrs?

Edited by teletiger