Do I Need A Thai Driving License?

CecilEugene

I am really new to Thailand and CM. you hear so much conflicting stuff even from Thai officials that are suppose to know so because I don't want to run afoul of the law so I come to Thaivisa for help. I plan to rent a car from a Thai. This is a business for him. He comes recommended by a friend. Do I need a Thai driving license to drive a rental car? I am an American with just my state driving license. If yes is there a legal grace period until I can get it and still drive? He saids it come with insurance. I can check this when I sign the rental agreement of course. Is there a certain type of insurance I need and should be looking for him to have? Any help in matters that is related to this so I don't make a mistake and end up in Thai jail or paying huge fines would be appreciated.

All you need is your state driver license. If you live here 6 months or longer, you need to get a Thai driver license.

You do not need an International Driving Permit, sometimes erroneously referred to as an International Driver's License.

Edited by mesquite

You need an international driving license which is valid for visits of 90 days to the kingdom, or you can get a Thai driving license.

People may accept your foreign license for police stops and car rental, but it is not legal and could be challenged in the case of say an insurance claim.

• Like 1

You need an international driving license which is valid for visits of 90 days to the kingdom, or you can get a Thai driving license.

People may accept your foreign license for police stops and car rental, but it is not legal and could be challenged in the case of say an insurance claim.

Untrue - it is valid with insurance companies

• Like 1

A valid licence from your home country and a current International driver's licence are all you need.

If it's for driving cars only, this does not mean motor bikes/scooters.

Since the OP didn't indicate he has an international driver's license/permit, it would not be legal for him to drive in Thailand just with a foreign license. (The reverse would be true too; a Thai could not drive, say in California, without a California driver's license or an international driver's license/permit). If you are involved in an accident, you will be in trouble, nor will the "insurance" you purchased be valid because you will have been driving without a legal license (the insurance company simply will refuse to pay any claim). There is no "grace period". Thailand issues separate driving licenses for cars and motorbikes (one is not good for the other).

Edited by TheVicar
  • Like 1

When I first came here I had an international drivers permit, valid for 1 year. All my licences were incorporated from my original driving license, in my case it was also valid for motorcycles.

To the point, if you are here already, you need a Thai drivers license. There were some topics going about it not long ago.

Edited by Joop50

He saids it come with insurance. I can check this when I sign the rental agreement of course. Is there a certain type of insurance I need and should be looking for him to have?

If he rents the car to you make sure that he has in fact insured the car for rental business. A lot of small businesses just use standard policies ie any driver driving with permission of the owner. You would not be covered if you rented the car. If he says anything like 'if you have a problem just tell the policed you've borrowed it' or 'if any problem call me first before you say anything' these can be red flags ref insurance. As far as 'checking the policy' you will need to read Thai.

• Like 2

I believe that a foreign driving license, unless it`s an International driving license, is valid for the first 90 days stay in Thailand, then after that period a foreigner is considered as resident and will require a Thai driving license.

To be on the safe side, best to confirm with the insurance company first prior to taking the vehicle on the road.

It depends on the length of your visa.

60 days or less no need (can drive using any valid license printed in English).

90 days or more need (Thai license required).

The fine is only 200bht (it might have just gone up to 400bht) , insurance not paying out may cost considerably more. All the previous posters have given you incorrect information. I'm amazed at the ignorance in the expat community.

There is a big difference between what you should have, and what you have previously managed to get away with. Spreading the ignorance you are posting helps nobody.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Whether you believe it /accept or not and one does appreciate that some people have been driving on the "base"license for decades without any...etc....however always find it easier to just play the game.

Now on my 3rd 5 year jobbi with the hansom man photo....FIO..from the Consulate in Blighty....

DRIVING IN THAILAND

Driving Licence Requirements

An International Driving Licence is required for most foreign persons wishing to drive in Thailand and must be accompanied by the Driving Licence issued to them in their country of nationality or residence.

A foreigner is allowed to drive in Thailand for up to 6 months on an International Driving Licence after which they must obtain a Thai Driving Licence.

The holder of a UK driving licence can apply for an International Driving Licence IDP 1949 through the “AA” and you can download an application form from their website www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html. A

Thai Driving Licence can be obtained at the Thailand Transportation Department in Bangkok only if you possess a valid International Driving Licence which has been issued in the country of your nationality.

• Like 1

Whether you believe it /accept or not and one does appreciate that some people have been driving on the "base"license for decades without any...etc....however always find it easier to just play the game.

Now on my 3rd 5 year jobbi with the hansom man photo....FIO..from the Consulate in Blighty....

DRIVING IN THAILAND

An International Driving Licence is required for most foreign persons wishing to drive in Thailand and must be accompanied by the Driving Licence issued to them in their country of nationality or residence.

A foreigner is allowed to drive in Thailand for up to 6 months on an International Driving Licence after which they must obtain a Thai Driving Licence.

The holder of a UK driving licence can apply for an International Driving Licence IDP 1949 through the “AA” and you can download an application form from their website www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html. A

Thai Driving Licence can be obtained at the Thailand Transportation Department in Bangkok only if you possess a valid International Driving Licence which has been issued in the country of your nationality.

Repeating incorrect information posted from an unknown source doesn't make it right.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

It depends on the length of your visa.

60 days or less no need (can drive using any valid license printed in English).

90 days or more need (Thai license required).

The fine is only 200bht (it might have just gone up to 400bht) , insurance not paying out may cost considerably more. All the previous posters have given you incorrect information. I'm amazed at the ignorance in the expat community.

There is a big difference between what you should have, and what you have previously managed to get away with. Spreading the ignorance you are posting helps nobody.

You appear to be correct about the 90 days. Another important note, many insurance policies (in fine print) require the driver to have a Thai driver's license in order for them to be effective:

"Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you will need an Thai driving licence, even though international drivers licenses are legally accepted. Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered. Besides that: You'll offer the local law enforcement great opportunities by continuing to drive with an international license."

Source:

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

DRIVING IN THAILAND

Repeating incorrect information posted from an unknown source doesn't make it right.

What is your source, TommoPhysicist? I am not trying to make a smart remark, I am interested in what is actually required. A source of information would help.

MSPain

Whatever the legality of driving with a home country license only, or the same accompanied by an IDL....the issue can be simply resolved by getting a Thai drivers license.

If the OP is just here for a short visit (say 3 months) just go with what you have. There are 1000's of tourists here driving rented cars and motorbikes, with no more than a home country license. I doubt that they are all not covered by the insurance accompaning the vehicle, lacking an IDL.

If you intend to stay full time here, or a majority of the year- the Thai license is a no-brainer.

BTW, I used only my Thai drivers license in California to rent a car, buy insurance for same, etc. There was no requirement for an IDL. Other countries might have different laws. The IDL is issued by a home country auto club, and is a document written in several languages that certifies the holder as having permission to drive in his home country. It is not issued by a gov't entity; it is just a corroborating document under an international convention of auto clubs.

• Like 1

BTW, I used only my Thai drivers license in California to rent a car, buy insurance for same, etc. There was no requirement for an IDL. Other countries might have different laws. The IDL is issued by a home country auto club, and is a document written in several languages that certifies the holder as having permission to drive in his home country. It is not issued by a gov't entity; it is just a corroborating document under an international convention of auto clubs.

And the California Dept of Motor Vehicles specifically says that California does not recognise IDLs. I have rented cars and driven in many places using just my Thai DL, including such varied locations as New Zealand, Italy, California, Ohio and Louisiana and previously using a US or UK license in a variety of different countries. I have yet to find anywhere where an IDL is of any value.whatsoever.

What is your source, TommoPhysicist? I am not trying to make a smart remark, I am interested in what is actually required. A source of information would help.

MSPain

This site seems fairly accurate

http://driving.infor...ng-licence.html

and here

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/

Edited by TommoPhysicist

MSPain

and here

http://thailand.angl...iving-licences/

That doesn't seem to have any more authority than the other links, but thank you for putting it up. I have seen those before. This has been discussed many times and I don't remember ever seeing anything that is legal. Kind of like whether you must carry your passport or a copy question.

It still seems to be a kind of "you can get away with this" until someone has a bad experience. I don't see either side of the question having any proof yet.

MSPain

MSPain

and here

That doesn't seem to have any more authority than the other links, but thank you for putting it up. I have seen those before. This has been discussed many times and I don't remember ever seeing anything that is legal. Kind of like whether you must carry your passport or a copy question.

Just to point out, no other links have been posted on this thread.

Someone posted about using a Thai driving license in the USA, California I think. The California DMV web site addresses foreign driving licenses and International Driving Permits specifically. What I read is that California does not recognize the IDP and does recognize a driving license issued by a foreign state, territory, country. Seems pretty clear.

As for driving licenses in Thailand, I think the Department of Land Transport should have the information. They have a web site with lots of information. Their site is in Thai language only. By the way, they have downloadable forms, including applications for a driving license.

MSPain

MSPain

and here

Just to point out, no other links have been posted on this thread.

Driving licenses has been discussed so many times before. I guess my sentences could have been placed in better order. My point is that in all the discussions I have seen, there has not ever been any links or copies from legal sources as to what is required to drive in Thailand.

The closest thing I have seen is from a Royal Thai Consulate web site, and that even included some quotation from ThaiVisa.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

I would suggest the OP just look into getting a Thai drivers license, if he is going to stay here for an extended period.

Really there is no argument here; it is always better to dot all your i's and cross all your t's here in Thailand.

I arrived with a valid western country license (for auto and motorcycle) and had as well an International Driving Permit (sorry if I abbreviated that to IDL; should have been IDP).

Within 6 months of my arrival here, I decided I wanted to buy a vehicle. Although I probably could have dodged about like many farang do here- I went for the full monty. As in I went legal. Vehicles registered in my name (not the secretary of some friend who has moved back to Ubon Wherever). A 1 year, then 5 year Thai drivers license (as mentioned above, I've used it to rent a car back in my home country, with insurance with no problem).

I own 3 vehicles now. All of them are fully licensed and insured, with both the minimum required liability insurance, as well as the 1st class insurance that covers excess liability (caused by me), damage to my vehicle (whoever caused it, or a tree branch falling in a wind storm), certain payouts to me for medical expenses to me caused by an unlicensed driver (common worldwide), etc.

Bottom line answer here is, to the OP's question- yeah, you need a Thai drivers license if you are going to stay here on a permanent or semi-permanent basis.

I would suggest the OP just look into getting a Thai drivers license, if he is going to stay here for an extended period.

Really there is no argument here; it is always better to dot all your i's and cross all your t's here in Thailand.

I arrived with a valid western country license (for auto and motorcycle) and had as well an International Driving Permit (sorry if I abbreviated that to IDL; should have been IDP).

Within 6 months of my arrival here, I decided I wanted to buy a vehicle. Although I probably could have dodged about like many farang do here- I went for the full monty. As in I went legal. Vehicles registered in my name (not the secretary of some friend who has moved back to Ubon Wherever). A 1 year, then 5 year Thai drivers license (as mentioned above, I've used it to rent a car back in my home country, with insurance with no problem).

I own 3 vehicles now. All of them are fully licensed and insured, with both the minimum required liability insurance, as well as the 1st class insurance that covers excess liability (caused by me), damage to my vehicle (whoever caused it, or a tree branch falling in a wind storm), certain payouts to me for medical expenses to me caused by an unlicensed driver (common worldwide), etc.

Bottom line answer here is, to the OP's question- yeah, you need a Thai drivers license if you are going to stay here on a permanent or semi-permanent basis.

I agree with this. In addition, posting things that are not supported with fact does not help and, in fact, could cause someone to rely on bad information. Your suggestion does help.

MSPain

MSPain

If anyone is interested, this is from a Royal Thai Consulate web site. I don't know how current or accurate it is.

MSPain

Further down the page they admit to their information (some) coming from this (ThaiVisa) site.

So using them as a source is a bit pointless and circular.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

DRIVING IN THAILAND

Thanks for providing official information rather than an opinion.

Now will the officials follow their own set of rules? 555

I'm not trying to be argumentative. But I haven't seen a clear answer. Especially confusing is that if you are here for less than 60 days you can use an IDP or your home country license while if you are here for over 90 days you need a Thai DL. Does the 60/90 days restart every time you leave the country? Sometimes I'm here on a non-Imm-O visa, sometimes on a triple entry tourist visa. I've never spent more than 90 consecutive days in Thailand and rarely more than 60. No one has posted an authoritative link as to whether this matters. My English language Driver's License has been accepted by rental companies for both cars and motorcycles, for Wing 41 permits, and has been accepted without question or "fees" by the police the few times I've been stopped.

I have no objection to getting a Thai license other than I might fail the colorblind test. Can anyone please explain in detail how that test works. Thanks.

I'd rather not waste the time it takes to get the licenses unless someone can provide a valid link.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. But I haven't seen a clear answer.

That's because there is no clear answer and there never will be.

This subject has been discussed before on TV and there is a lot of conflicting information out there (which the OP is aware of).

Edited by mesquite