Do I Need A Thai Driving License?

CecilEugene

I have no objection to getting a Thai license other than I might fail the colorblind test. Can anyone please explain in detail how that test works. Thanks. I'd rather not waste the time it takes to get the licenses unless someone can provide a valid link.

The nice lady doing the test is usually happy to give 'hints'.

I did not read the rest of the thread.

I've lived in CM for 1.5 year and I lived in Phuket for 1 year. I've always rode a motorbike. In that time I've been asked to produce a drivers license maybe 5 times. I had my USA driver's license (which does not have a motorcycle endorsement) a couple of those times and I was let go. Another couple of times I said no and they let me go anyway (or gave me a ticket for not wearing a helmet, the reason I was pulled over in the first place). One time I had to pay a combined 500 baht ticket in phuket for not wearing a helmet and not having a license. In all cases where I actually paid a fine I think I could have just given them less money and had let go.

I've also known friends that have been living here for a long time and got into crashes. None of them have Thai a license. In all cases they had to pay for damages they caused, if they were at fault. Nobody ever said anything about a license.

I think you might want to get a license if you want to get car insurance.

So in short, at least for driving a scooter, you do not need a driver's license, regardless of what anyone source of officialdom days.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk

the test is purely to see if you have a colour vision defect - i.e. can't tell the difference between red and green.

My test last week was a colour pattern hanging off the wall, and the examiner got me to repeat a few times what colour she was pointing at.

end of tests and photo taken and had the licence in 5 minutes or so.

the test is purely to see if you have a colour vision defect - i.e. can't tell the difference between red and green.

My test last week was a colour pattern hanging off the wall, and the examiner got me to repeat a few times what colour she was pointing at.

end of tests and photo taken and had the licence in 5 minutes or so.

I know the test is to determine if one has a color vision defect. I do. I'm red-green colorblind. The last test I took had 3 vertical colored circles that I had to identify. The top one was red, the middle yellow, and the bottom was green. Just like a traffic light. Is that the type of test they give here?

I have no problem in the real world as long as the top light is red. if they ever make the lights random, you should get off the road when I'm driving.

Let's get back to the subject, ok? I took my test this morning, a joke really, and got through, I am really and truly happy that I have a Thai DL. This is a generally accepted means of identification, I don't want to carry my passport with me at all times as required by law.

I pulled string around to align two pegs, did a reaction test, assured them that I wasn't colour blind (you can cheat) and was called out of the room where they were showing a one hour film to get my license before everyone else (I have been driving fot 40 years after all and can't understand Thai). Easy, ฿200.- I think. So no need to worry , just get a Thai license before they get serious about driving tests.

• Like 2

Let's get back to the subject, ok? I took my test this morning, a joke really, and got through, I am really and truly happy that I have a Thai DL. This is a generally accepted means of identification, I don't want to carry my passport with me at all times as required by law.

I pulled string around to align two pegs, did a reaction test, assured them that I wasn't colour blind (you can cheat) and was called out of the room where they were showing a one hour film to get my license before everyone else (I have been driving fot 40 years after all and can't understand Thai). Easy, ฿200.- I think. So no need to worry , just get a Thai license before they get serious about driving tests.

Yes, it's easier to just get the license than read through this thread and try to make sense of the conflicting recommendations. In the words of Nike, "Just do it."

Yes, it's easier to just get the license than read through this thread and try to make sense of the conflicting recommendations. In the words of Nike, "Just do it."

I will.

Thanks for being so helpful everyone.

I've lived in CM for 1.5 year and I lived in Phuket for 1 year. I've always rode a motorbike. In that time I've been asked to produce a drivers license maybe 5 times. I had my USA driver's license (which does not have a motorcycle endorsement) a couple of those times and I was let go. Another couple of times I said no and they let me go anyway (or gave me a ticket for not wearing a helmet, the reason I was pulled over in the first place). One time I had to pay a combined 500 baht ticket in phuket for not wearing a helmet and not having a license. In all cases where I actually paid a fine I think I could have just given them less money and had let go.

I've also known friends that have been living here for a long time and got into crashes. None of them have Thai a license. In all cases they had to pay for damages they caused, if they were at fault. Nobody ever said anything about a license.

So in short, at least for driving a scooter, you do not need a driver's license, regardless of what anyone source of officialdom days.

Just don't understand this attitude. Why not get a license and wear a helmet so you don't have to pay fines/tea money to the police? Regards a car, it is essential to have a license for insurance cover. If you injure or kill someone you have to pay up to 200k baht bail bond, in cash, if without the appropriate insurance. Not enough cash for bail bond stay in jail. Of course you can usually pay injury/death compensation in cash as a get out of jail process, but it will cost you a lot more than the insurance route. Let alone having to pay for any damage to another vehicle out of your own funds. Also with insurance cover, the company will handle the payments process without you having to be personally involved. All in all a lot cheaper and easier to have insurance in case of an accident.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Yes, let's get back to the subject, OK?

The subject is the legality of driving with an English language license vs a Thai license. There have been lots of claims on both sides and various numbers thrown about but I haven't seen any authoritative link to an answer in either Thai or English, just some circuitous links that refer back to posts here.

There are lots of people here on tourist visas. Is everyone here on a tourist visa who rents or owns a motorized vehicle required to get a Thai license?

Simple1, where did you get that 200k figure?

The subject is the legality of driving with an English language license vs a Thai license. There have been lots of claims on both sides and various numbers thrown about but I haven't seen any authoritative link to an answer in either Thai or English, just some circuitous links that refer back to posts here.

There are lots of people here on tourist visas. Is everyone here on a tourist visa who rents or owns a motorized vehicle required to get a Thai license?

It's the sum quoted in 1st class insurance cover for a car from my policy; i.e. max bail bond is 200k baht. This was confirmed to me by the RTP when a foreigner killed a Thai family member in a hit & run who was identified and arrested and had to pay the maximum bail bond. As a bit of detail once bail bond was paid, in cash, he did not have the insurance cover, RTP then notified Thai immigration and the Embassy so he would not depart Thailand on a replacement passport. I understand the bail bond can be covered by other levels of insurance, but don't know the details.

Edited by simple1

I was demonstrating that getting a Thai license is so easy that I can't understand why people don't bother to get one, as common sense might suggest. As a Farang it's going to be your fault anyway, having a license that the cops can make sense of might help a little. In answer to your question you need an address in Thailand as confirmed by immigration, meaning that people on a tourist CANNOT get one. OK?

I got this info off http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

It has been posted before by more than one person that they have a Thai DL with only a tourist visa. That doesn't mean that is what the law is.

This is from a dlt.go.th (Department of Land Transport) web site. Even this does not prove what the actual law/regulation is.

As has been posted more than a few times in this and other threads, it is not difficult to get a Thai driving license if you meet the requirements. If you don't meet the requirements and still get one, then you are better off probably.

MSPain

post-402-0-24064600-1353732843_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-55730700-1353733132_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-02763000-1353733151_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-66761900-1353733166_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-92733200-1353733180_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-23761000-1353733197_thumb.jpg

Edited by hml367

Thanks for these extracts. It seems pretty clear from the texts that a tourist cannot get a DL, I myself can't imagine why a tourist would want one unless he was perhaps an eternal tourist on visa runs.

And yet, if you go to the DL centre near BigC on Hang Dong road. They give out a flyer listing 'Tourist Visa' as one of the options for getting a Thai DL.

The IDL is issued by a home country auto club, and is a document written in several languages that certifies the holder as having permission to drive in his home country. It is not issued by a gov't entity; it is just a corroborating document under an international convention of auto clubs.

Depending on the country who issues the IDL.

In Germany it's issued by the government license agency providing both, national and international licenses.

No auto club here can issue such...

Bye,

Derk

The IDL is issued by a home country auto club, and is a document written in several languages that certifies the holder as having permission to drive in his home country. It is not issued by a gov't entity; it is just a corroborating document under an international convention of auto clubs.

Depending on the country who issues the IDL.

In Germany it's issued by the government license agency providing both, national and international licenses.

No auto club here can issue such...

Bye,

Derk

If you are referring to Thailand and you have a Thai driving license, an IDP is issued by the Land Transport Office

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could offer more information. I can only tell you the international license and you home state DL is good for 3 (three) months for driving. Honestly I've asked questions in the land office about such things as well as the police department. Thai or English, it doesn't seem to matter. It truly seems to depend on the person who questions you at any given moment. it's all subject to change.

To be on the safe side, I would feel comfortable to find out what the insurance company who has the privilege/right to refuse coverage depending on their determination of your legality to drive on the street wants. They will be the deciding factor.

Good luck on contacting them.

Hopefully others on this forum can offer help in that as I've no idea how to do that.

The OP agreed with the logic provided by some posters, many posts ago, and will hopefully apply for a Thai drivers license.

I don't understand why some here seem to find it such an issue of contention.

Get a Thai drivers license if you live here most of the year, or year round.

For the turistas and snowbirds- do what you are comfortable with.

If you think you are immune to Thai law in the event of a serious accident, whoever's fault it is, because you are just "visiting", all power to you.

As long as you have strong insurance, whatever your immigration status or license status, you should be fine. The question is- can you get strong insurance with a foreign drivers license and an IDP? It probably depends on the insurer, but my sense is that the answer is "no".

I mentioned many posts ago about having a Thai drivers license for both auto and motorcycle, as well as both the minimum liability insurance (required to register a vehicle) as well as 1st class insurance covering lots of things, like theft, collision damages, medical expenses, bail, liability from an injured party (either vehicle or personal injury), etc.

The license is easy to get, and makes you 100% legal for driving here.

If those who feel they have fulfilled the legal requirement for driving here in Thailand by having one of these:

post-23786-0-08828600-1354541951_thumb.j

rolleyes.gif

• 2 months later...

I got mine recently and could not believe how easy it was. Piece of cake, cheap, very fast. Even though my non-Thai licence has always been accepted when asked to be produced, the consequences of not having it, in an accident or something for example, don't really bear thinking about. There is no point in paying the money for insurance, if it just becomes invalid anyway for not having a Thai licence.

If you have a licence from your own country and a work permit it is so easy there are no excuses, but if you don't have those it may take longer but something you must do if you live here for an extended period for your own safety....

Just don't understand this attitude. Why not get a license and wear a helmet so you don't have to pay fines/tea money to the police? Regards a car, it is essential to have a license for insurance cover. If you injure or kill someone you have to pay up to 200k baht bail bond, in cash, if without the appropriate insurance. Not enough cash for bail bond stay in jail. Of course you can usually pay injury/death compensation in cash as a get out of jail process, but it will cost you a lot more than the insurance route. Let alone having to pay for any damage to another vehicle out of your own funds. Also with insurance cover, the company will handle the payments process without you having to be personally involved. All in all a lot cheaper and easier to have insurance in case of an accident.

yes. The thing the realise is that if the other guy IS insured (or has contacts) then not having insurance may well get you sued. A Thai insurance rep friend of mine (accident and medical - not selling me car insurance) told me that fines can be in the order of 5 million baht if prosecuted for causing an accident without insurance (and not having a legal road license invalidates insurance). Bit more of a worry perhaps than that 400 baht!

On a side note, last year I was stopped for an illegal U-turn (fair cop) - I did not have my license with me (left it at home with my wallet - hence the u-turn :( ). No chance of a purple persuader as it was a senior cop that was just about to cross the road when I did the u-turn (and obviuously thought I was going to drive another 50 yards and mow both him and his daughter down on the crossing) - he got the road cop out of his nice little booth and made him write me up. I had to report to the police station with ticket in hand to colelct my passport (which I did have strangely as I was going to the bank to pick up a WU, but forgot my wallet - and luckily as that meant he didn't confiscate my keys and I wouldn't have to use the spares in my other pocket to get home after he left). In the end I had a friend drop in and get my passport for me - and it only cost me the 500 (reduce from 800 apparantly) - I was done for no license even though I had one because you have to carry it when you drive at all times - apparantly.