Songthaew Anybody?.....a Tourist Reality Guide

eyecatcher

So I would say you are missing out if not trying it.

I tried it for the first 10 years I lived in Chiang Mai, but prefer to sit in the back now.

Didn't mean it to appear directed at you, it was for others without your extended experiences.

Neve mind the amusing advice about taking a songtao. Just remember to take a shower and brush your teeth yourself before getting on board !! Durian is really a no-no anywhere except in the secluded privacy of your own home (or in a field) !! Songtaos? Hike up your drawers and go for it!

Here's some more cheap counsel, anyway. Twenty baht is the common expected fare per person within the Superhighway. Otherwise, if you are worried about another 10-20 baht, you best walk!! Don't try to use a map!!! Get someone to write down your usual destinations in Thai to show the driver, at least! Even learn to pronounce them !!!!!!!!!!! Learn how to read a map yourself, but absolutely don't expect to use a map effectively with the mass of drivers! It is not their strength nor do they have the time or interest to share your interest in maps of Chiang Mai. Otherwise, they have a dependable local GPS system built in! They, after all, know where they are. You don't !!

To help yourself further, get an Thai-English (or just Thai) map! There are some. Go to a bookstore! Go to UG's place. He probably has some. Come to think of it, no doubt UG would be willing to help you personally! Maybe he can even make a baht by creating an aide for expats with popular destinations (except soapy massage parlors, of course !!) Oh, don;t forget to ask him where the "dirty books" room is in back. He even has D.H. Lawrence !!!!

For traveling beyond the Superhighway, I found this wonderful gift to TV Chiang Mai: http://www.openchian...283.html . It is a beaut!

Happy peregrinations!!! smile.png

Where is the laughter button when you need it? Your comment about maps and Thais is spot on. It's been my experience that many Thais do NOT understand the concept of maps and locations. I remember being frustrated on our pack trips trying to get directions from a local when showing them a map WRITTEN IN THAI! I knew where we were on the map, but could not get the Thai person to understand a simple map. That has happened so often that I have just given up showing maps to Thai people. I don't know how Thais are taught in school, but they certainly ignored geography lessons and understanding maps.

I hate to be an old grump, but I pretend not to understand when they ask me to sit in the front and immediately go sit in the back. 10 minutes of the driver trying to make inane conversation in English or Thai - on top of the 20 baht fee - is just too much to pay.

I would say half the time I elect to sit in the front especially on long distances. I just plop myself in the front seat and never a problem. You can get into some pretty interesting and informative conversations when talking with some of the 'masses'. One time I had to go to the US Consulate from CMU and offered an amount to take me non-stop (no pickups on the way). The driver looked just like Carabao with bandana, beard and all. Fascinating to listen to his thoughts and insights to the police, the government, the 'shirts' etc. He wasn't shy about discussing the mess and I learned a bit more about the fundamental Thai and their feeling. Yes, a bit one sided but balanced with discussions with others.

So I would say you are missing out if not trying it. Of course some don't say a single word, some complain about the traffic, weather etc, but still can be an interesting learning experience even then.

It is amazing how nice the /Thai people can be if you give them a chance.

Where is the laughter button when you need it? Your comment about maps and Thais is spot on. It's been my experience that many Thais do NOT understand the concept of maps and locations. I remember being frustrated on our pack trips trying to get directions from a local when showing them a map WRITTEN IN THAI! I knew where we were on the map, but could not get the Thai person to understand a simple map. That has happened so often that I have just given up showing maps to Thai people. I don't know how Thais are taught in school, but they certainly ignored geography lessons and understanding maps.

I completely agree with you. I've lived here in Thailand for many years. The initial years when we (then g/f) were lost I would say no problem, just ask someone, g/f looked at me like I was stupid. After a short time here I realised that it was useless asking for directions or showing a map. I have to laugh when that g/f and now my long time wife tries to explain to me where someplace is located she confidently points with no idea at all her position in the real world compared with where we are talking about biggrin.png

You were also assuming the local could read and write (Central Thai).

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I'd say it's not just Thais... MOST people can't understand a map! Show a map to someone who doesn't normally travel outside their own 20km living area and they haven't a clue where or how. 73% of Americans can NOT find the location of their own city on a blank US map. 47% couldn't find their state... (the State study didn't include people from Florida, Maine, California or Washington.)

And before we get too smug about knowing where we are, can you place Surinam on a map? How about Lichtenstein or even Costa Rica? Those are countries. We'd do far worse trying to place Kyoto, Houston, or Rio de Janeiro.

Thank God for a good GPS! Otherwise I'd be lost half my life!

Edited by FolkGuitar

I'd say it's not just Thais... MOST people can't understand a map! Show a map to someone who doesn't normally travel outside their own 20km living area and they haven't a clue where or how. 73% of Americans can NOT find the location of their own city on a blank US map. 47% couldn't find their state... (the State study didn't include people from Florida, Maine, California or Washington.)

And before we get too smug about knowing where we are, can you place Surinam on a map? How about Lichtenstein or even Costa Rica? Those are countries. We'd do far worse trying to place Kyoto, Houston, or Rio de Janeiro.

Not me. I've used maps all my life and always will. I learned to use the 'Thomas' Map Books in California, using the grid system when I was 17 and had a delivery job. I've used maps all over the world and never had a problem finding my way anywhere. I've showed taxi drivers in Bangkok how to get where I wanted to get. I would never use GPS. The only problem is - as I get older, some maps are more difficult to see (and I don't like carrying my reading glasses with me).

• Like 1

For my self I don't have a GPS. How ever I can find my way around on a map if it has a recognizable point of reference on it For instance any where here in Chiang Mai if it shows the Ram Hospital or Thai Pai Gate or for that matter the airport. It does how ever have to be written in English As most street signs are written in English if not I am screwed.

rode one the other day. first time in about 5 years. what a miserable experience. kid sitting next to me was picking his zits. will probably be another 5 years before i have the pleasure of doing that again.

You sure you weren't at the counter at a McDonalds? biggrin.png

David

• Like 1

It is amazing how nice the /Thai people can be if you give them a chance.

Yes, that's been my experience.

Same here. And not surprisingly, the same has been true in every other country I have traveled in. Something about treating others with respect and courtesy that seems to be reciprocated almost universally.

David

Edited by Genericnic
  • Like 1