Best Baits

jackinbkk

Hi,

I've seen a few Thai businesses trying to sell what they claim are the best bait additives guaranteed to catch the fish. Some are demonstrated at Bung samran, a place I think you'd struggle not to catch a fish in. smile.png

So I'm interested what you like to add to your baits at various fishing parks and for various species.

My favorites (at gnao nam) are the siamese carp and mekong catfish. I favor pandan mixed to very damp lam for carp fished on the bottom and powdery lam mixed nom mel for the catfish fished on the surface.

I have found in my time that a killer bait in one fishing park just wont be touched in others. It seems the fish get used to what they are routinely fed on.

Tight lines everyone.

Hi Jack

Dont know about fishing parks for I fish in the Chow Praya River, started off doing what all the locals do with bread in wire cages with poly balls or worms but of course caught the same small fish.

Wanted something bigger and better so started useing a small piece squid surrounded by bread on a two hook rig. Got much better and bigger results on that although the biggest fish I have got is a shade over 3kg.

Now I am using lures, bibbed minows and rubber tails and getting some good fish with the best time being just on first light.

Getting far better fish than any of the locals who seem never to chuck even the smallest fish back. I only keep reasonable size fish that are good eating with few bones.

All in all interesting fishing with more than 40 species so far.

Hi Jack

Dont know about fishing parks for I fish in the Chow Praya River, started off doing what all the locals do with bread in wire cages with poly balls or worms but of course caught the same small fish.

Wanted something bigger and better so started useing a small piece squid surrounded by bread on a two hook rig. Got much better and bigger results on that although the biggest fish I have got is a shade over 3kg.

Now I am using lures, bibbed minows and rubber tails and getting some good fish with the best time being just on first light.

Getting far better fish than any of the locals who seem never to chuck even the smallest fish back. I only keep reasonable size fish that are good eating with few bones.

All in all interesting fishing with more than 40 species so far.

Thanks Robby,

it is supposed to be possible to catch chao phraya catfish with dog food. I'd imagine it's fished the same as lam on a feeder in a massive ball. I haven't tried it and I'd imagine it's very difficult. I've fished canals for sawaii and buek but you rarely catch anything.

Dont know about fishing parks for I fish in the Chow Praya River,

Okay, I gotta ask- where are you fishing on the river? I'd love to catch and release some predator fish in the wild, but wouldn't have a clue where to toss my lure where a net (or pollution) hadn't just cleared out the population.

Hi Impulse

I live in Sing buri and fish in the river there.

Lately I have been fishing with lures, bibbed minnows and soft bodies.

Been catching quite a few fish, biggest on lures about 2 1/2 KG.

Did well when the river was high fishing close to the bushes that were almost submerged now am fishing the berms that stick out into the river.

Next week I will post some pix of the fish I have been catching.

Robby

Hope I have it righr this time

post-12069-0-45304300-1354169776_thumb.j

post-12069-0-86249900-1354169661_thumb.jpost-12069-0-60560300-1354169684_thumb.jpost-12069-0-08411800-1354169738_thumb.jpost-12069-0-00782200-1354169799_thumb.jpost-12069-0-30091500-1354169822_thumb.j

Click on the pix and the large version will show the name and what it was caught on

Robby

Well done Robby. If you are catching these from wild waters you are doing better than most people. Live minnows fished on the bottom with a small inline lead are a top bait for the predators etc.

• 1 month later...

There's a boilie back here in the UK that everyone uses for carp and everyone raves about it. It is supposed to be the killer bait. So good that threads about it have like 1,000+ posts.

It's called 'cell' and I just got some. I try to avoid commercial BS but after 8 months of blanking at my local pond I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

To my surprise it smells just like grated coconut. 633 THB a kilo though?

There's a boilie back here in the UK that everyone uses for carp and everyone raves about it. It is supposed to be the killer bait. So good that threads about it have like 1,000+ posts.

It's called 'cell' and I just got some. I try to avoid commercial BS but after 8 months of blanking at my local pond I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

They have tried bollies here, they failed miserably!!

Hope I have it righr this time

post-12069-0-45304300-1354169776_thumb.j

post-12069-0-86249900-1354169661_thumb.jpost-12069-0-60560300-1354169684_thumb.jpost-12069-0-08411800-1354169738_thumb.jpost-12069-0-00782200-1354169799_thumb.jpost-12069-0-30091500-1354169822_thumb.j

Click on the pix and the large version will show the name and what it was caught on

Robby

Great fish Robby, man what I would do to be able to catch something close to that where I am, guess I'll have to move out of Bangkok back up to the wife's place in Singburi huh?.... tight lines mate..

Edited by supaprik

They have tried bollies here, they failed miserably!!

I invited a friend over to Phuket fishing park back in 2009. He's a big carp fisherman in the uk. He setup hair rigs, boilies, bite alarms the whole shebang. They didn't work there either. Bread outfished everything.

I think the reason boilies are popular in the UK is that the water is usually cold and the fish are sluggish. You need a bait that you can leave out there for hours and hours until a fish finally comes across it.

Thailand is the opposite. The fish go like stink and you just get as much bait out there as you can.

I'm having to try boilies back here in the UK because nothing else is working.

Edited by jackinbkk
  • Thanks 1

• 7 years later...
On 1/11/2013 at 12:52 AM, jackinbkk said:

Did it work (yes I know it's a very old post) but I'm interested in baits used to catch freshwater carp (yessop) in natural not commercial lakes.  Thanks

56 minutes ago, stament said:

Did it work (yes I know it's a very old post) but I'm interested in baits used to catch freshwater carp (yessop) in natural not commercial lakes.  Thanks

Whether natural or commercial lakes, I reckon John Harvey and his Fluro Pink Nutcracker Pop Ups might help. He's a really nice guy too!

https://www.urbanbait.co.uk/

This is not an advertisement. Just trying to help. John was at Castaway https://castawaypattaya.co/ not sure if he is still??

Edited by nauseus
  • Thanks 1