Udon Thani Int'l Airport

utapaortnab

Howdy all,

While Lat and I were up in Udon Thani (a 4 1/2-5 hr bus ride from Chiayaphum one way) last week we heard, during casual conversation with friends we have there, that the Udon Thani airport is to become the Udon Thani Int'l Airport starting in March sometime.

No one involved in the conversation could explain where planned Int'l flights originating from Udon Thani would conclude however.

Does any member here have any info on this?

Ken Bower

Howdy all,

While Lat and I were up in Udon Thani (a 4 1/2-5 hr bus ride from Chiayaphum one way) last week we heard, during casual conversation with friends we have there, that the Udon Thani airport is to become the Udon Thani Int'l Airport starting in March sometime.

No one involved in the conversation could explain where planned Int'l flights originating from Udon Thani would conclude however.

Does any member here have any info on this?

Ken Bower

I thought there were flights to/from Laos and Cambodia from there already?

cv

Ken,

Ubon's airport is also designated as an international airport, or at least thats what the sign on the gate entering the airport says.

As far as I know there is only a couple of Thai and Air Asia flights each per day and the occasional chartered aircraft for the royal family, government, etc.

Maybe its international status comes from the fact that there is an air force base attached and they may fly sometimes over international air space.

:o

Ken,

Ubon's airport is also designated as an international airport, or at least thats what the sign on the gate entering the airport says.

As far as I know there is only a couple of Thai and Air Asia flights each per day and the occasional chartered aircraft for the royal family, government, etc.

Maybe its international status comes from the fact that there is an air force base attached and they may fly sometimes over international air space.

:o

Afew years ago used to have flights Bangkok-Ubon-Danang.Now stopped.

Khon Kaen airport has a similar "international" tag, and when you are in the new terminal there is a sign for international arrivals, just a pipe dream I am affraid, we now only get 3 flights per day to Bangkok.

When Air Asia started up we had four Thai flights and 1 Air Asia, they stopped one of the Thai flights because of its close timing with the AA and then AA pulled out but Thai did not re-instate its flight.

Prices have risen since AA went Thai was around 1350-1650 baht but now it is about 2000 baht (yes I know - fuel surcharge).

If I am going to BKK now I usually take the bus Nakhon Chai Air, it is only 357 baht each way and the saving of 3,200 odd baht pays for the hotel. Takes about six hours but inside is like business class on Thai airways they have stewardess, free food, soft drinks, movies, electric reclinging seats and two drivers who share the trip between them. If you are on a budget it is well worth considering.