Special Cars You've Driven

davethailand

A 1989 Porsche 911 Convertible; it had the turbo body but the engine was a non-turbo one. This was a car my parents owned several years ago. I got to drive it twice. My older brother was jealous to say the least :o Unlike most manual gearboxes, this one had the reverse gear in the upper left hand corner rather than down in the lower right hand corner. It took a minute or so to get used to. Even without the turbo engine this car went pretty quick.

What are the things that you've driven but could never own (or maybe nice but would'nt want to own).

Here's one of mine-

porsche9591.jpg

Dont know if this counts, used to drive these but never owned one!!

Would get all of 50km/h out of them but they did weigh in around 15 tons. :o

post-16153-1139755024_thumb.jpg

once went tooling around West LA in a RR Corniche...was working in a garage at the time and a customer brought it in and said it had a rattle...not a sound, couldn't even feel the gears change. Once had a boss that collected Porches and he wanted me to drive his 911 Carrera whale tail across town to a garage...got to an open stretch of road and floored it...came a hair's breadth away from losing control and killing myself...

voor-antr1.jpg

Lancia Thema 8.32...

Very ordinary looking family sedan, but powered by a V8 Ferrari engine pumping out a very conservative 215HP, but with a very high low rev torque...

This was however in the late 80's, when the 100HP VW Golf GTI was considered a fast car :o

Imagine these teenage brats in their whatever GTI, only seeing the tail lights of this family saloon dissapear in the distance :D

According to my boss back then (who owned the car) maintenance on that engine was an extremely expensive nightmare.

He later went on to own an Opel omega Lotus, which was an even faster family saloon. If I recall correctly the engine had over 350HP !!! Unfortunately never got to drive that one :D

I drove one of these once.

I was late for work, missed the bus, it was raining and I was hitchhiking.

A Winnebago pulls over, door opens, guy asks where I'm headed to and then says hop in!

So I did.

Once I was aboard, the guy asks " got a driver's licence? "Yeah..?" " You drive then!" and heads for the bed at the back, drunk with a bottle of liquor in his hand, peanuts all over the floor.

So I drove this monster to work, it was pouring and I couldn't see very well. I parked it on a side street and got to work in time.

I saw it around town every now and then, easy to recognize as the thing had KING OF THE ROAD painted below the windshield.

winnie1_main_400x230.jpg

Well couldn't resist this post.

Going back a few years now but i think (and dont quote me on this) but the Lotus Carlton is the fastest saloon production car in the world.

There were only 950 made in the world and i had the luck to be able to have a drive of my old mans one reg K7OTUS. Got out after giving it a good thrashing, shaking like a dog shi**ing razor blades.

The untimate beast :o

post-25446-1139895262_thumb.jpg

Took one of these for a test drive. They had it up for sale, somewhere near Oxford if i remmeber. Its the Judge dread landrover. Just a landrover really but looked cool from the outside and completely road legal. Too young at the time to buy it, but it would have been cool to own it.

dreddmoviepromo107ae.jpg

Edited by daleyboy

Got to know a couple once from California who were down in Rio to get married but the embassy messed up their visa /documents so we all went on the booze to commiserate and I got an invite to visit them later at home in a place called San Mateao just o/s San Francisco where he had a Pontiac Firebird... which I borrowed......nice motor... very impressed:P

I drove one of Dale Earnhardt's cars at the Charlotpost-499-1139915989_thumb.jpgpost-499-1139915989_thumb.jpgpost-499-1139915989_thumb.jpgesville Speedway...Went to a racing school..Drove over 100 laps in the car over the week end...A great Experience

Lucky you!

Would be even better if you could sometimes steer the other way no? :o

On holiday in France some years ago, in Fontainebleau a footbal player was flirting with me, he had a Rolls Royce and a chauffeur and for kicks he let me drive it a little.

It was cool but the car was so stuffy looking.

Several cars jump to mind ..

when I was 18 a drunk friend of the family asked me to take him home in his new

E TYPE Jaguar ,along the small country lanes in North Yorkshire ...what a blast !

2/ The Boss`s Mark 2 Lotus Cortina white with the green body flash . 1979

3/ Metro 6R4 Full rally prepared works team car two weeks before the RAC rally on a proving run .

I helped drag the thing out of a ditch and drove it about 2 miles in Hamsterly forest I Then the driver took me on a proper spin in it . I have never been so frightened before or since I have no words to describe the experience it defied , the laws of physics , common sense , and appeared to be on tracks ,in the hands of a works driver the experience was just ****************!!!!.

Oh and once on A Kawasaki racing bike, on the track fully race prepared , prepared more than I was ,I was on the bike for about 3 seconds till I opened it up . I was left in the air like a cartoon character with the bike half a mile down the track . my mate was not well pleased and took his revenge on his road bike with nearly the same spec the engine being from memory over 1000cc . I stupidly agreed to pillion and again came of the back at take off ,the only thing left of me on the bike were my finger nails .

A Bently Turbo for 30 minutes

A Rolls for a morning

And the kid next door`s pedal car when I was 4 . His Dad had coach built it and it was great I am still jealous ... and I have the photo somewhere , I plotted every thing to get that car accidents , theft , adoption murder but it always stayed with him .

My favourite road car was the brother-in-law's 911 Carrera. Hard work to drive but exhilerating. A friend's old Corvette was good but a helluva handful. Even though I had previously driven an RS200 around Oulton Park (with chaperone), my favourite track car was the XR2.

Back to ones I can afford, I'm currently driving a Mazda pick-up. Oh well.

When I was 17 I worked at the Sheraton Hotel Sydney. I went downstairs to a storeroom to get goods when I found a car blocking the gate. As all cars parked had keys all I had to do was move the car a bit. It was a new Saab. Started it up and it moved forward slowly, then I touched the brake,wellwhat I thought was the break was the accelerator and hit the next car. Then that car hit the next car and so on. All cars are put into neutral for easy moving but remember I was only 17. Lucky for me the ticket said " no liability will be taken for your car while it is at our Hotel" well something like that. I learnt on that day that the Saab's brake was more left than normal cars. Oh it did drive well for 10 feet.

1963 Studebaker Avanti. 0-60 Mph 7 sec. Top speed 170 Mph with twin turbo chargers. One of the last cars Studebaker made. I think they only made about a 1000. My father manufactured the transmission for the prototype and brought the first one made home for a week to test drive it. Studebaker went out of business and another group took over the manufacture of the Avanti which stayed in business till the 90’s.

post-20120-1140010630_thumb.jpg

V9e9.jpg

A 1962 Lotus 20/22 at Mid-Ohio. Fantastic experience but with a US$25000 engine with no rev-limiter it was more than a bit unnerving. Qualified first in class (of three) but managed to run over my own foot while pushing the car to scrutineering (don't ask!!) which ended my weekend.

Selling sport cars here at the beach in Southern California I get to drive all sorts of fun cars.

My favorite so far is the Carrera GT.... Wow, just the sound of it was a treat. I prefer motorcycles though and ride most days one to work.