From Marriage Non 0 To Retirement

I have a non 0 based on marriage and am about to do my last 90 day visa run (on 5th Dec). I had then planned to wait 60 days and then apply at my local immigration office for a year extension based on retirement. Is it possible to do this or should I just go out of the country and get a 3 month non 0 visa (retirement) and extend that one? Or could I do the whole thing in Chiang mai, for example? Any comments will be most appreciated.

Your plan is Okay as long as you qualify. You must be at least 50 and must have either 800000 baht in a Thai bank in your name only seasoned for at least 2 months or 65000 baht/ month income from overseas or a combination of both that equates to 800000 baht/year when you apply for the extension.

Your plan is Okay as long as you qualify. You must be at least 50 and must have either 800000 baht in a Thai bank in your name only seasoned for at least 2 months or 65000 baht/ month income from overseas or a combination of both that equates to 800000 baht/year when you apply for the extension.

Many thanks and I do qualify. I am not on an extension based on marriage, just a visa and shortly with my last 90 day stamp in it. Can this be also be extended based on retirement ?

Yes. A Non Imm Visa is needed.

Just one more question...My visa expires on 13/12/12. My current 90 days expires 05/12/12. Should I apply for my extention before 13/12/12 or can I do it i month before my last 90 days expires? BTW, Nan immagration says I should go out to Laos and get another 3 month visa based on retirement and then extend that. Surely I can just extend my existing visa?? Or not?

30 days before your final permitted to stay expires - your visa can already be expired. And Nan is wrong; but as it is a local decision you may want to play it cool and ask them to double check (perhaps by suggesting you may have to do a marriage extension if they will not accept). They likely will try to avoid that.

30 days before your final permitted to stay expires - your visa can already be expired. And Nan is wrong; but as it is a local decision you may want to play it cool and ask them to double check (perhaps by suggesting you may have to do a marriage extension if they will not accept). They likely will try to avoid that.

Many thanks for your reply. I agree the cool approach would be favorite. As I live in the Nan area would I have to go there or could it be extended in say Chiang Mai?

Nan might be suggesting you make a last border run and extend when those 90 days are finished so you get the most out of your visa, not that you MUST make a last border run and apply for a new visa.

I did neglect to mention that my original visa is in my old passport and I have my new one now and plan to use it on my next visa run. Would that be causing a problem? I would then have my 90 day slip in my new passport of course.

When you leave Thailand for another border run, you show both passports to immigration and they will tranfer some details to the new paspsor and stamp you out on the new passport. When re-entering, you show both old and new passport again, which you might also need to do when applying for an extension as they probably will want to see your original visa and its details.

You probably mean 90 day extension, not a 90 day report slip as you are not staying longer than 90 days with your current visa entries.

Yes that may be the issue as your new passport will not have a valid visa for extension of stay start - unless you are in a hurry I would just use your next entry and then get a new visa/entry for 90 days when it expires and then 60 days later do the retirement extension of stay.