Driving To Pai

chuang

Thanks folks will take your advice...hope i dont suffer from motion sickness..BTW hotels rates all gone up double this time of the year..

Drivers won't suffer, they're too busy focusing on the road. Passengers need not suffer either if they do the same.

Not all hotels have done that in pai. In fact there aren't really many hotels there at all. For those that wish to there are still several places for 200 baht a night. Most places go up about 50%.

I went last week, and i'll just mention that a couple of sections (a few kms each time) have rather potholed roads after the latest rainy season. Clearly they've not got round to filling them in yet. Hope they're not doing that when you're driving up there, or you'll have a long drive.

Pai is still outstanding, and from my experience last weekend the usual numbers of bkk citizens i've seen the last few years are not there. I have heard that they're getting bored with pai, which is good news in my view. I also saw quite a few of the mushroom concrete resorts built to cater to this fickle demand from the capital city shut down. This in mid-nov which definitely qualifies as high season there.

Have a good time, it's a great place.

The vehicle drivers don't suffer as much as the passengers. They are holding on to the steering wheel and looking only at the road ahead. A passenger sitting back 'trying' to enjoy the view tends to get thrown left and right. On the bright side, there are only about 762 hairpin turns to endure. :)

Stitchawl

Thanks folks will take your advice...hope i dont suffer from motion sickness..BTW hotels rates all gone up double this time of the year..

Drivers won't suffer, they're too busy focusing on the road. Passengers need not suffer either if they do the same.

Not all hotels have done that in pai. In fact there aren't really many hotels there at all. For those that wish to there are still several places for 200 baht a night. Most places go up about 50%.

I went last week, and i'll just mention that a couple of sections (a few kms each time) have rather potholed roads after the latest rainy season. Clearly they've not got round to filling them in yet. Hope they're not doing that when you're driving up there, or you'll have a long drive.

Pai is still outstanding, and from my experience last weekend the usual numbers of bkk citizens i've seen the last few years are not there. I have heard that they're getting bored with pai, which is good news in my view. I also saw quite a few of the mushroom concrete resorts built to cater to this fickle demand from the capital city shut down. This in mid-nov which definitely qualifies as high season there.

Try getting kids to focus on the road ahead. Tried it but failed. Only the youngest is a problem, but he has good aim into the bag wink.png

We always keep going through Pai, hate the crowds, hate all those concrete resorts on the main road. The valley looks lovely in the rain season when green, but as soon as it turns brown......

JMHO

Drove into Pai one time (a few months back) Turn right around and left.

Over built, one "resort" and I will use that word losely, after another

and how many coffee shops and T shirt shops do they need ? 1 for each visitor I guess.

I keep on driving to Mae Hong song and enjoy it befor it is over built too

• Like 1

Try getting kids to focus on the road ahead. Tried it but failed. Only the youngest is a problem, but he has good aim into the bag wink.png

We always keep going through Pai, hate the crowds, hate all those concrete resorts on the main road. The valley looks lovely in the rain season when green, but as soon as it turns brown......

JMHO

I think i was about 9 years old when my gran told me how to stop feeling sick and miserable when in the car. I suffered badly from car journeys, any journey. She told me that my middle ear was out of balance and to look straight ahead through the windscreen (i'd often be in the back seat). She was absolutely right, but i think the thing that swinged it for me as a young kid was suddenly learning i had more than two ears and that this middle one she talked about wasn't even visible. It also seemed so strange to me that i should have an ear in the middle of my head! Of course, once i looked straight through the windscreen and no longer suffered, i was cured!!

Last weekend the crowds weren't really there. It was most pleasant. But pai is more than two streets. I've never stayed in one concrete resort in all my years of going there. Have you ever been on the back road into pai? Just before the old railway bridge that's now a full-on tourist attraction (about 10ks before the town), turn right. The hotsprings are along there on the right. But just carry on all the way into town. But before you get to town you will have passed several options for staying in places that might have concrete bases to them, but that's it. I usually stay IN the valley. This time around i stayed in an old favourite about one km from the town. Walking in really works up a good appetite. Walking down all the side sois in the town you'd never know crowds were anywhere to be seen. Quiet as anything.

As for the walks into the hills and mountains, gloriously tropical and hardly a soul to be seen apart from the odd farmer with his rolled up fag and big grin.

You just gotta spend time getting to know the place!

Edited by femi fan

Drove into Pai one time (a few months back) Turn right around and left.

Over built, one "resort" and I will use that word losely, after another

and how many coffee shops and T shirt shops do they need ? 1 for each visitor I guess.

I keep on driving to Mae Hong song and enjoy it befor it is over built too

Overbuilt??? Are you living in chiang mai?!

Yeah, sure, there's more buildings than a decade ago, but really, pai is not at all a one-street place to go to. Pai is not about the town, pai is about staying in places one, two, five klicks from town in stunning nature with magnificent views and walks to be had. There are dozens of outstanding resorts that don't need to be put in inverted commas.

Coffee shops and t-shirt shops? Maybe, i hardly see them. Instead i see lots of creative little restaurants, tea places, healthy eating places, pleasant evening bar places, and so many little sois to walk down and discover what's there. There's a middle to the pai town just like the middle to chiang mai town inside the moats. Peaceful as anything, and many little guest houses to stay in for two or three hundred baht if that's one's budget.

Pai is an incredible place for anybody prepared to park up and just walk and explore - both in the town area and around it.

• Like 2

Have a friend who has moved up there rented a house and rides all through the country side. Always telling me how beautiful it is and how western food is good and cheap and the Thai food the same as here. Spent one weekend there. Rode up in the back seat no problem. I do know that one weekend is not enough to see all there is to see.

My friend liked it because it reminds him of communes in California in the 60s and 70s.

My friend tells me that there are villages in the area only accessible by mountain bikes.

But the medical sucks in Pai.

I rode my little scooter over to Pai with no problem. I just took my time and wasn't in a hurry. I stopped frequently and let all the crazy silver vans go flying by. Why they don't kill more passengers and people on motorbikes is surprising to me. The road on to Mae Hong Son is much the same, but less busy. And, the fields of sun flowers should be out pretty soon, if they aren't already.

Yes, we had someone in the back seat that had somewhat of a problem, but she didn't puke (only threatened to!).

was thinking of driving my old honda dream 100 tp to pai/MHS..good idea or take minivan sick.gif

and thoughts on a budget quiet getaway around there?..dont wanna be near the noisy crowds/toursits

Easy on a 100 plastic pig, though 125 would be better. Don't bother with minivan, rainy season is over.

Beung Pai Farm, just out of town, previous owners of Sun Hut.

1324970338-2008112176_n.jpg

(not me)

Has anyone done the Samoeng to Pai route lately? How are the rough sections these day?

Passable with a scooter?

Still rough but decent enough a few months back. Mostly unsealed before Wat Chan still, but doable on a pig, though better off on a KLX or DTracker.

Edited by jackr

I don't know about the rainy season being over, jackr. A couple of nights ago the skies opened up and just drenched Chiang Mai. I'd hate to be out on a scooter in that kind of storm.

I normally pull over and wait for the rain to stop...at the bar laugh.png

Am I wrong to assume there ain't much to see in Pai for people in their 70's coming from Canada? How about Mae Hong Song, the tea plantations, worthy of a visit?

I think people in their 70s might enjoy it more because of the relaxed living. Like I already posted, the sun flowers should be covering the hills just south of Mae Hong Son towards kuhn Yuam. And, if you don't like the windy road you can take the southern route to Mae Hong Son from Mae Sariang. The road from Hot to Mae Sariang is easier to travel than the Pai road.

It's a winding road for sure, but so far I've never seen anyone puke on that route.

Went on this road last month. And first time I

came across signposts for 'Puke Stops' at the roadside coffee shops. Saw bus loads of people getting off with their vomit bags.

I don't know about the rainy season being over, jackr. A couple of nights ago the skies opened up and just drenched Chiang Mai. I'd hate to be out on a scooter in that kind of storm.

Preceded by days of sun. Storms happen any time in the tropics/subtropics, even in the dry season, and there may be the odd remnant from the wet season, but as far as wet seasons go, 2012's was over weeks ago. But for riding to Pai, generally anytime from late October is fine. I'd ride any time over mooching about in the back of a minivan, even when the perps are slashing & burning. whistling.gif

Preceded by days of sun. Storms happen any time in the tropics/subtropics, even in the dry season, and there may be the odd remnant from the wet season, but as far as wet seasons go, 2012's was over weeks ago. But for riding to Pai, generally anytime from late October is fine. I'd ride any time over mooching about in the back of a minivan, even when the perps are slashing & burning. whistling.gif

On that I agree, jackr. Too many people are in too much of a hurry to get somewhere, and usually where they are just going to sit around anyway. Why not go slow and just enjoy the trip? I also enjoy a good storm providing it's not dark out and I'm riding a scooter. Nature in the raw is always something exciting to experience. I've sat many hours under the shelter of a tree or in a cave waiting out some storm. In Canada we've had to build snow caves to get out of a storm while exploring on cross country skis.