Is It Safe To Live In A House Anywhere In Pattaya?

having domestic staff is considerably less dangerous than participating in Thailand's traffic. and the chance getting assaulted, robbed or burglared by strangers is infinitely higher than experiencing the same from the staff you employ. anybody who doesn't realise this is living in a dream world.

I dont see what traffic has to do with it. Having domestic staff is probably less dangerous than using jetskis or going mountain climbing also, but equally irrelevant.

And of course when living in a condo the chance of getting assaulted, robbed or burgled by someone that you didnt invite into your unit yourself is close to zero, which is the whole point. Living in houses here is potentially quite dangerous, as is made clear by the number of house owners who consider it necessary to have staff 24/7, bars on windows, locked gates, alarms, dogs, video cameras, razor wire, walls with sharp pointy things on etc. etc., as well as having security guards at the entrance to their village.

I see no need to have any of these extras in a condo here, nor did I have any of them where I lived in Europe.

why the emphasis on... you were poor in Europe and are poor in Thailand? tongue.png

p.s. as far as the rest of your posting on condos and detached homes is concerned you just proved that you possess a wealth of "no idea".

• Like 1

why the emphasis on... you were poor in Europe and are poor in Thailand? tongue.png

p.s. as far as the rest of your posting on condos and detached homes is concerned you just proved that you possess a wealth of "no idea".

Ah. One can always rely on show-offs Klingons to retreat into name-calling when they realise that their non-arguments hold no water at all.

If ever you come up with a sensible on-topic reply that doesnt involve calling other people names or making pointless, uninformed and baseless comparisons to what you incorrectly imagine their bank balance might be, by all means return to the discussion . I wont be holding my breath.

Ah. One can always rely on show-offs Klingons to retreat into name-calling when they realise that their non-arguments hold no water at all.

If ever you come up with a sensible on-topic reply that doesnt involve calling other people names or making pointless, uninformed and baseless comparisons to what you incorrectly imagine their bank balance might be, by all means return to the discussion . I wont be holding my breath.

where, pray tell, are the "names" i called? huh.png

you listed a lot of irrelevant rubbish such as

necessary to have staff 24/7, bars on windows, locked gates, alarms, dogs, video cameras, razor wire, walls with sharp pointy things on etc. etc.,

the only applicable fact was

as well as having security guards at the entrance to their village

which some people (like me) enjoy because these guards stop undesirable humans as well as undesirable soy dogs entering the village.

what you need is to overcome your utter ignorance! here's a free lesson:

-people do not employ staff to "protect" their homes but to maintain and keep their homes clean, doing the cooking, serving the food, handling the laundry, mowing the lawn, trimming trees and bushes in the garden, driving their cars and rendering a variety of other services.

-people do not keep dogs to ward off armed robbers as no dog has a chance against a bullet. people keep dogs and a variety of animals because they love to have pets.

your tirade pro condo and contra detached homes is nothing but a parallel to the fable "The Fox and the sour Grapes", iced with a good measure of envy, which not only me but a bunch of other people encountered multiple times in this forum... and will encounter in future.

there's nothing wrong with living in a condo. it all depends on individual preferences. but when these preferences are presented in a derogatory way, as you did, you have to expect a virtual slap.

• Like 2

There's no shortage of comments on here from people who live in houses about their need for security measures such as I described, including having dogs. Indeed some of them are mentioned in this very thread, and there are quite literally hundreds of other threads containing them also. If you actually read what is written on here you would know that. Though with a post count of 20K+ I understand that you may not have much time for reading.

Others suggested that people may keep full-time/live-in staff in order to increase their sense of security and I agreed with them. I dare say these staff perform other functions also, but there again one would have to enjoy having such things done by others for that to be of any interest, and also have enough things for them to do. I prefer to do things myself and always have done.

One day, when I'm in a wheelchair, I may employ people to do things that I cant do, but not before. You are perfectly entitled to do otherwise but dont assume that just because you like being waited on that everyone does also. They do not. I dont even like being waited on in restaurants.

And of course there is a limit to the amount of housework that anyone could possibly do in a condo; in my case about half an hour a day which I easily handle myself.

As for the sour grapes nonsense, I suppose that's just you trying to convince yourself that there is something about you or your lifestyle that anyone could possibly envy. As far as I'm concerned there certainly is not. I have everything I need and want, and none of it includes a house and servants. Only the most insecure sort of person could dream up such an idea, which borders on the paranoid.

And as for a tirade against house-owners, you mistake me for someone who cares about the housing choices of people that I dont know. I do not care at all about what they do. I do care about my housing choices. I owned and lived in various houses (all with a good panoramic view) all my life before coming here. But here, not least because there are no houses with what I would call a decent view, I prefer to live in a condo. Also because I dont want to have to think about what is happening to my dwelling or my lawn if I go away for a week or a month or a year. In a condo I can do this but in a house I could not. And, because I doubt that I will be here for more than a couple more years, I prefer to rent rather than to buy. Other people will make their own choices for their own reasons but it would not make any difference to me what they choose.

A simple question was asked and I just gave my opinion (which has as much, or as little, value as yours), and nothing I said was at all derogatory or critical or in the slightest bit impassioned. The topic is far too dull for passion.

• Like 1

In my experience in Pattaya, the house in Pattaya is not safe anymore except you will be in the city which the price in quit higher than Sukhumvit road area. My colleages used to be stolen at least 1-2 times in their life ( They stay in the village outside ). My friend's friend got 3 times in 1 year although they are in the great village which they think, the security is great.

Interesting that nobody has actually really answered the OP's question about specific locations and incidences?

If the OP is serious I would suggest getting out and finding the places you like and with a short list maybe post again and ask for recommendations. Members may be more likely to respond to specifics even of only by PM.

Interesting that nobody has actually really answered the OP's question about specific locations and incidences?

If the OP is serious I would suggest getting out and finding the places you like and with a short list maybe post again and ask for recommendations. Members may be more likely to respond to specifics even of only by PM.

In post #16 I told the OP where I lived. I never had any problems from outside of the house. In all fairness to us posters we really don't know what the OP is looking for. If he would be more specific perhaps he would get some more specific information. smile.png

In post #16 I told the OP where I lived. I never had any problems from outside of the house. In all fairness to us posters we really don't know what the OP is looking for. If he would be more specific perhaps he would get some more specific information. smile.png

Not sure the OP could have worked out the location "off of Soi Buakhow behind where the delat nat is twice a week" - and being picky you did not actually say whether it was safe or not in that post.....but I do agree with your comment above.

PS - reading above again do you mean you had problems from inside the house? smile.png

Not sure the OP could have worked out the location "off of Soi Buakhow behind where the delat nat is twice a week" - and being picky you did not actually say whether it was safe or not in that post.....but I do agree with your comment above.

PS - reading above again do you mean you had problems from inside the house? smile.png

Well you go to the market and enter from Soi Buakhow and walk to the back of the market and that's where I lived. 3 bedroom house with a number of women engaged in the arts and pack of Soi dogs. There was security too and all the ladies brought him food when they came home from performing (artistic dancing and the like). There was an Estonian mob guy who lived across the street who spoke Russian and Polish in addition to Estonian. I liked the neighborhood but it wouldn't be to everyones taste. I don't mind the occasional shot or dead body or running machete carrying gangs. I guess it depends on what you are used to.

We had a few problems inside the house from time to time. Only one bathroom for all of us could be a problem. And clothes and make up. The ladies were constantly borrowing each others stuff.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

3 bedroom house with a number of women engaged in the arts and pack of Soi dogs. There was security too and all the ladies brought him food when they came home from performing (artistic dancing and the like). There was an Estonian mob guy who lived across the street who spoke Russian and Polish in addition to Estonian. I liked the neighborhood but it wouldn't be to everyones taste. I don't mind the occasional shot or dead body or running machete carrying gangs. I guess it depends on what you are used to.

Makes my condo seem very dull. About the only excitement here is when a large farang entering the pool causes a small tsunami.

3 bedroom house with a number of women engaged in the arts and pack of Soi dogs. There was security too and all the ladies brought him food when they came home from performing (artistic dancing and the like). There was an Estonian mob guy who lived across the street who spoke Russian and Polish in addition to Estonian. I liked the neighborhood but it wouldn't be to everyones taste. I don't mind the occasional shot or dead body or running machete carrying gangs. I guess it depends on what you are used to.

Makes my condo seem very dull. About the only excitement here is when a large farang entering the pool causes a small tsunami.

Market days were especially fun as the Farangs would chase the pickpockets down my street. The German and Russian ladies were the best at catching them. You could tell as they screamed at them in their native tongue as they ran. smile.png

Pattaya is similar to any big city. The inner city tends to have more crime than the outskirts. Generally. We had a break in 4 years ago in our village, nothing since then. Same with many other villages, like the one where Naam stays.

Houses that don't have an outside wall might be safer????

Been in house near Marpbrachan )Pong)3 years so far so good, my house stands alone in a quite lane with a small fence around it. it suits me perfect, i look at it as what could i loose a tv costing 9k new to replace, laptop not expensive to replace. Docs are in a safe but again easy to replace. being a dog lover gate is open and few street dogs in residance maybe deters as they are protective of the property. Whilst others are happy in Condo's i could never live in one, but my house has security doors and bars on windows and others have said they could not live with that so each to their own.

Diect answer to OP question Yes in my case.

Been in house near Marpbrachan )Pong)3 years so far so good, my house stands alone in a quite lane with a small fence around it. it suits me perfect, i look at it as what could i loose a tv costing 9k new to replace, laptop not expensive to replace. Docs are in a safe but again easy to replace. being a dog lover gate is open and few street dogs in residance maybe deters as they are protective of the property. Whilst others are happy in Condo's i could never live in one, but my house has security doors and bars on windows and others have said they could not live with that so each to their own.

Diect answer to OP question Yes in my case.

Lived 4 years also off Marpbrachan and no issues at all. Would rather be there now then in the Singapore condo I now live in.

I'll give a serious answer....

I lived in one of the sois off Arunothai in a 3 bedroom house for 18 months and never had a single incident from outsiders. No break ins. No trouble at all. Neighbours were good. Generally quiet.

Now I live in a village on the dark side. It is very quiet here. The neighbours seem friendly enough too - at least the Thai ones (they are the ones who seem more sociable for whatever reason).

The reason I moved from Arunothai was the landlord wanting to sell the house and refusing to do basic repairs.

I do have friends living in large condo blocks off Arunothai and they say there is a lot of noise and break ins too. Others live in small apartment blocks dotted around that area and they have no trouble at all.

Edit to add

I'd often be out for the night. Be away for the day and sometimes on 4 week trips to the U.K. leaving the house empty during those periods and without incident.

Edited by pattayadingo