Updated My Sgs2 To Jb 4.1.2. Now Have A Few Questions With Titanium Backup Pro Regarding Restoration

Shurup

As the title says, I've got the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 on my SGS2.

I've had everything backed up with the Titanuim Backup Pro so now I need to restore my Apps with Data, BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've read too many scary stories about restoring the system settings which makes the device unusable after restore if the update was to a diffeet firmware (and I went from GB 2.3.3 to JB 4.1.2 - BIG step forward).

Problem is, the Titanium Backup Pro is a little confusing with the options as to what to restore so I don't want to accidently restore something that will brick my phone. blink.png

Here are the RESTORE Options:

1. Restore Missing Apps with Data - 245
  2. Restore All Apps with Data - 359
  3. Restore All System Data - 181
  4. Restore Missing Apps + All System Data - 292
  5. Restore Newer Versions of User Apps - 0

Which option do I choose?

To me it seems like the 1st one is the one I need as it will only restore the Apps that are missing from this current Android version meaning that the Standard apps like Camera, Gallety, Clock, Calendar, etc. (and their data + settings) will not be restored???

The 2nd option will obviously restore all the Apps including the standard Apps and their data + settings???

The 3rd option is what I MUST NOT click. laugh.png

Now, the 4th option is what really confuses me. If it's the option 1 and 3 combined, then the sums of both don't add up.

It would be nice if someone explains which one is which but if someone just told me which one I need, that's all I really want.

P.S. The questions is for those who did flush the ROMs before AND used the Titanium Backup for restoration, no need to tell me that Astro File Manager or whatever else is better, I've got the backups already and this is what I have to work with.

Will the first option install any junk I don't need or which can hurt the system? I clicked on it and there is an option to hand pick the apps that I want to restore rather than doing everything. There still seem to be a lot of system apps and stuff on the list with the 1st option (like: Home screen tips, VPN Services, Setup Wizard, Terminal Emulator and so on).

By the way, how to make a screen capture with this version of Android? It was Home button and push Power button while still holding Home button. THis doesn't work with JB 4.1.2 :s

I restored the apps only wich I hand picked from the list after choosing the 1st option. Restored the contacts, SMSs, call logs which I backed up with Windows Kies. Everything seems to be working great and the phone feels really snappy, responsive and visually everything runs faster, still need to return my WiFi access points list and I think that's it.

I have a leaked version of JB 4.1.2 from Samsung, the rumors are that it would be the official release or petty close to it.

For those interested in JB on their SGS2, go to

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1994313

Use the mobile Odin to flash if yoiu want to keep root.

On mine, I use Remix, and it has a screenshot toggle.

So you're using the external utility then? I may have to look into it too as I tried different keys combinations and so far was unable to make a screenshot. If someone figires it out, lemme know please.

Personally I would take the time now to selectively restore only those apps you really need/use. Or even just let the Play Store handle the downloading of your apps.

If you must do a batch operation just restore the missing apps. Restore, Run Restore missing apps with data.

They problem with a batch restore is that you may restore older versions of bundled Samsung or Google apps which can lead to problems.

This morning I installed Omega V33.2 via my SD card on my i9300. It went smooth and was easy to install. I now have Jellybean 4.1.2 and so far everything works smooth and fine. This ROM appears to be a keeper. I was surprised and pleased that my downloaded apps were still there. I used the remove bloatware install option and it looks like that was a good choice.

I had made up my mind that I was perfectly happy with ICS but bored old men need something to do so I upgraded to Jellybean 4.1.1 and now 4.1.2.

• Like 1

After using this ROM, Omega 33.2, I have come to the conclusion that you won't go wrong installing it. I have found no problems or glitches and battery life is excellent. I'll be keeping it at least until they work all the glitches out of jellybean 4.2 and maybe longer.

ADDED - I was going to buy an extended battery for my S3 but have now decided that I don't need one.

Edited by Gary A

Nice to hear that, I still play around with that leaked Samsung version, there are a few glitches and a few things missing but it's pretty much ready to be the official release. I've seen a number of custom ROMs and just didn't like their look. Will be keeping this ROM until the official update from Samsung comes out.

After using this ROM, Omega 33.2, I have come to the conclusion that you won't go wrong installing it. I have found no problems or glitches and battery life is excellent. I'll be keeping it at least until they work all the glitches out of jellybean 4.2 and maybe longer.

ADDED - I was going to buy an extended battery for my S3 but have now decided that I don't need one.

That is fine, but the OP has an SGS2, not SGS3. Different beast.

That is fine, but the OP has an SGS2, not SGS3. Different beast.

FWIW, there is an Omega ROM for the SGS2 as well: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1489197

I've been running Super Nexus for a long time, with some tweaks, hacks and add-ons - love the JB 4.2 camera - on an SGS2. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1810042